Using Gymnastic bodies for sports

Started by jaybros729, November 30, 2013 · 17 Replies · 4,204 Views

jaybros729

Hello everyone, 

 I am wondering if anyone in the gymnastic bodies community has used the foundation series, or any gymnastic based strength training, to gain bodyweight, get stronger, and use it as general strength training for athletes of certain sports. I would like to learn the series and progress as far as I can, possibly become certified, and then use it to help train athletes; ex: football players, wrestlers, etc. at the local high school that I will be working at. I have a foundation in weight training and other rudimentary bodyweight skills, but I want to learn more. Even though I have had good success with using traditional resistance training I feel gymanstic training has a lot to offer.

 

Thanks y'all

 

Jerry

Coach Sommer

The Marquette University head strength coach has used portions of our program with their basketball team for several years now.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

jaybros729
Coach Sommer said:

The Marquette University head strength coach has used portions of our program with their basketball team for several years now.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks Coach Sommer for the reply. I appreciate your time.

Bipocni

Also, I believe Coach uses it with his athletes, although this may be because they are, after all, actual gymnasts.  :P

MT Nordic

I find it has great carryover to nordic skiing, which requires great core strength, arm/shoulder strength, etc.  Obviously it's not an all-encompassing training program for other sports, but mixing it in with more specific training makes a lot of sense.  I find it gives some training regimens that work well that have been neglected in the traditional training in these sports.  How many skiers know that their leverage on their poles is improved if they use hollow body and posterior pelvic tilt, or that straigth arm strength translates well to the second half of the poling action.  The mobility is quite helpful for preventing injury and improving strength through a greater range of motion.

Alex Chubb

I train a lot of MMA/grappling athletes. This form of training is just different in that it prepares them to be strong in every angle. That's a huge benefit in a sport where nearly anything could happen.

I once took someone down in a competition and got caught in a kimura (shoulder lock). I was ahead on points but I couldn't get out. So I stayed there the entire match until I eventually won. It ended up being a two minute isometric of not getting tapped out. I can't imagine benching would have given me that strength in such a weird position.

jaybros729
Alex Chubb said:

I train a lot of MMA/grappling athletes. This form of training is just different in that it prepares them to be strong in every angle. That's a huge benefit in a sport where nearly anything could happen.

I once took someone down in a competition and got caught in a kimura (shoulder lock). I was ahead on points but I couldn't get out. So I stayed there the entire match until I eventually won. It ended up being a two minute isometric of not getting tapped out. I can't imagine benching would have given me that strength in such a weird position.

Thanks LOL I totally understand that scenario because I have trained in grappling as well. I have know clue how you held out a kimura for 2 minutes when your opponent was yanking on your arm as hard as he could. Great job Mr.Chubb

Bro'

Thanks to dislocates, you become immune to shoulder locks.

Stephen Majerle

I have noticed a big improvement in my steep hill climbing strength when cycling, which I believe is a carry over from single leg squat work.

synchroGENized

I suspect it helps my swimming, and it definitely helps with synchronized swimming.

Keilani Gutierrez

hmmm...I can still do 540's in both directions on my bike...I wonder if i can manage one out of a halfcab again.

Bipocni
KeilaniG said:

hmmm...I can still do 540's in both directions on my bike...I wonder if i can manage one out of a halfcab again.

Do it and film it.  Either way, post the results here. :lol:

Adriano Augusto

I've to say the other day I played soccer with my job partners after a long time without even touch a soccer ball. I spent almost my whole life (from 7yo to 18) playing soccer. Here in spain is the "King of the sports", so is quite easily that a boy started really soon on it; it was my case. So, soccer is similar to learn to riding a bycicle, it's never forget it.

 

Was do I noted from GST in that soccer match? A tremendous leg strenght in shooting. I was always a back line in the field, and I was always tall and strong compared to my team partners, but now... my goodness, I think with GST I'm developing a body armour as I can be able to throw anyone miles aways  :D

 

Plus, I would add in some moments I felt on the ground a little agressive and I think somebody elses could get injured with that fall... I'm not. 

 

It would be great to try something like MMA or Rugby, but I prefer don't put myself on trouble  :P

 

Using GST for sports? A GREAT IDEA!

Ravn

My sport of choice is climbing, but I've not been able to go to the gym for the past couple years due to work, life, kids. However, a friend and I decided to take it up again for the coming year just to see where it goes.

 

Like I mentioned earlier in another thread, at my first climbing session in two years, my hand strength for crimps was obviously insufficient due to lack of specific training, but on steep overhanging routes with bigger, juggy holds I was cruising, and felt on top (pun intended). GST definitely helps for the big powerful moves in climbing, less so for the delicate crimping work, which requires more specificity.

Keilani Gutierrez
Bipocni said:

Do it and film it. Either way, post the results here. :lol:

really? are we calling shots now? :P
Bipocni
KeilaniG said:

really? are we calling shots now? :P

Well, either you'll fail and it will be hilarious, or you'll pull it off and feel so proud you want to show it off.  Either way, I win.  B-)

Keilani Gutierrez
Bipocni said:

Well, either you'll fail and it will be hilarious, or you'll pull it off and feel so proud you want to show it off.  Either way, I win.  B-)

nothing hilarious about sore tailbone, man! #shakesfist

Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

nothing hilarious about sore tailbone, man! #shakesfist

I liked your previous comment for WTF factor :D

#gbswag