This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Norway

Started by Joakim Anderson, November 26, 2013 · 31 Replies · 4,292 Views

Joakim Anderson

I started a Sweden-thread some time ago but since my home is in Strömstad Norway is of equal interest. Where are you Norwegian guys located? Where do you go to work out? I'm planning on doing some indoor bouldering in Sarpsborg and Fredrikstad once a week or so as soon as I get back.

strme

hei, i am in beiarn and i workout home because closest gym is 120km far away :)

Joakim Anderson

At least you have nature like few others. :)

Richard Sassoon

Hei,

I live in Trondheim, but I'm originally from Brazil.

Luckily there is a student gym where I can workout and do all the exercises, with a few adaptations. The only thing missing are stall bars....

 

Strme, I'm sure you have seen some nice aurora around there :)

Christian

I used to live in Oslo, but moved to Elverum two weeks ago (1,5 hours from Oslo)

Nilan

Hello all! :)

 

I am from India, but would be arriving in Bergen in June to commence my PhD studies. 

 

I have a couple of questions and was wondering if I could ask them here. So here it goes:

 

  1. Should I bring my Xtreme Rings with me? Are they even allowed in the hand baggage?
  2. Are there any gymnastics specific places in Bergen where one could continue to train?
  3. There is a crossfit gym in Bergen I checked, so  would it be advisable to join crossfit in case I can't bring rings?

Thank you all for your time and I look forward to an active and pleasant couple of years in Norway :)

Christian

Hi and welcome to Norway :-) You know Bergen is known as the rainy city? Bring rings and an umbrella. I have travelled to and from Norway with my rings and never had any problems.

Also almost all gyms have rings, pullup cages and stall bars here. So just join a local Sats and you can do all your foundation/GST work no problem.

Tarjei

I dont train at any of the cf centers, they are probably better equipped, but 6times more expensive compared to the student gym chain (http://www.sib.no/en/training?set_language=en). The student gyms dont have rings here yet, im saying yet because they are adding a brand new bigger gym in may which is rumored to have a cf area so they will probably get rings there, they do have those physio ropes now which i use instead. Off peak hours there is plenty of spots to put up rings in the gyms they have know too, but it can be crowded mid day. 

Nilan
Christian said:

Hi and welcome to Norway :-) You know Bergen is known as the rainy city? Bring rings and an umbrella. I have travelled to and from Norway with my rings and never had any problems.

Also almost all gyms have rings, pullup cages and stall bars here. So just join a local Sats and you can do all your foundation/GST work no problem.

Hi and thank you for your warm welcome Christian  :)

Yes I've heard Bergen is the graveyard of umbrellas..!! So I am bringing a raincoat  ^_^

 

Who or what are "local Sats"? Is it umm a type of gym?

And gyms there have rings and stall bars? :eek:  For real? That is awesome!!! :D

That makes me even more eager to start my PhD asap!  B-)

Christian

Stall bars mostly everywhere. Sats in Bergen has them, I've been there once. "Functional" training is very in now so all gyms cater to it. Rings are the xtreme type and hang around. Not like in a gymnasium though. Normal ceiling space. Nobody will say anything if you bring your own either and hang them. Sats is a chain of gyms here. Here's the link for Bergen:

http://www.sats.no/senter/bergen/bergen/

Nilan
Tarjei said:

I dont train at any of the cf centers, they are probably better equipped, but 6times more expensive compared to the student gym chain (http://www.sib.no/en/training?set_language=en). The student gyms dont have rings here yet, im saying yet because they are adding a brand new bigger gym in may which is rumored to have a cf area so they will probably get rings there, they do have those physio ropes now which i use instead. Off peak hours there is plenty of spots to put up rings in the gyms they have know too, but it can be crowded mid day. 

Hi Tarjei  :)

Thanks for your response!

 

SiB seems to be quite a big organization ( I tried to apply for housing under them, but apparently I am ineligible as I wouldn't be paying semester fees  :mellow: anywho I digress)

 

Are they making the new gym at Fantoft? 

They are definitely quite affordable and I will be paying them a visit once I'm there. Maybe I'll bump into you there..!

I would probably aiming for a morning slot before heading off to work, so I can hopefully avoid the rush-hour!

Nilan
Christian said:

Stall bars mostly everywhere. Sats in Bergen has them, I've been there once. "Functional" training is very in now so all gyms cater to it. Rings are the xtreme type and hang around. Not like in a gymnasium though. Normal ceiling space. Nobody will say anything if you bring your own either and hang them. Sats is a chain of gyms here. Here's the link for Bergen:

http://www.sats.no/senter/bergen/bergen/

Music to my ears  :D

 

By the way, when you took your rings in flights, did you take them in hand baggage or check-in baggage? I'd be coming by KLM and hoping they don't make a fuss to see rings in my hand baggage. (I'm not too keen on putting the rings in check-in due to risk of loss of baggage...)

Christian

I always pack them in my carry on. Once i got stopped, but they were just wondering what the straps were. I said gymnastic rings for hanging and they were ok with it.

Tarjei
Nilan said:

Hi Tarjei  :)

Thanks for your response!

 

SiB seems to be quite a big organization ( I tried to apply for housing under them, but apparently I am ineligible as I wouldn't be paying semester fees  :mellow: anywho I digress)

 

Are they making the new gym at Fantoft? 

They are definitely quite affordable and I will be paying them a visit once I'm there. Maybe I'll bump into you there..!

I would probably aiming for a morning slot before heading off to work, so I can hopefully avoid the rush-hour!

The new gym will be at Kronstad, near the new HIB campus (its between fantoft and downtown Bergen.) Its along the city train route so easy to get to. Their gym at fantoft is already quite big with a climbing area and bouldering if your into that. Is your phd at hib or uib ?

Nilan
Christian said:

I always pack them in my carry on. Once i got stopped, but they were just wondering what the straps were. I said gymnastic rings for hanging and they were ok with it.

That helps me out immensely :)

I'll confidently pack it in now 

Chalk hopefully should be available to buy once I land...i don't suppose airlines/customs would allow chalk to be carried considering it is a 'white substance' :icon_rolleyes:

Christian

I travelled with a liquid chalk thing once. Oslo Bergen actually if don't remember wrong. Got it there but not back. Go figure :-(

Nilan
Tarjei said:

The new gym will be at Kronstad, near the new HIB campus (its between fantoft and downtown Bergen.) Its along the city train route so easy to get to. Their gym at fantoft is already quite big with a climbing area and bouldering if your into that. Is your phd at hib or uib ?

Heyii I would be under UiB but based at the Haukeland University Hospital. Kronstad seems to be quite near the Hospital campus just checked on google maps :)

 

Never tried climbing or bouldering but I guess it would be fun!

 

If Kronstad lives up to the promise of having rings, I'll start looking for a room for rent in the vicinity...

Right now, I don't have any long term place to stay. My supervisor would be booking me in the UiB guest house temporarily for 1 month which is at Allegaten.

Nilan
Christian said:

I travelled with a liquid chalk thing once. Oslo Bergen actually if don't remember wrong. Got it there but not back. Go figure :-(

Hmmm that sucks  :mellow:

So what happened to the chalk while travelling back? Unless I misunderstood something  :unsure:

Christian

They took it.

Handbalancer

I will be going to oslo a couple of times the coming months to stay with some friends as I used to live there. During the summer i plan to spend a week or 2 there. 

Nilan
Christian said:

They took it.

:facepalm: it's high time check-in staff and customs start training in gymnastics themselves :icon_rolleyes:

Sinom

I'm currently in Ålesund, so people heading that way can come and train in my outdoor gym! =) It's not the best equipped, but the view is quite nice! (Have added ropes since the picture was taken, and working on stall bars, pommel horse trainer and a mushroom) Are you guys going to the seminar in Summer btw?

Nilan
Sinom said:

I'm currently in Ålesund, so people heading that way can come and train in my outdoor gym! =) It's not the best equipped, but the view is quite nice! (Have added ropes since the picture was taken, and working on stall bars, pommel horse trainer and a mushroom) Are you guys going to the seminar in Summer btw?

Hi Sinom! That is a great and practical set up! :)

 

And I had the same question :)

I would not be able to attend this year due to funding issues, but next year, I am sure I would have been able to save some from my doctoral studies. So hopefully Coach Sommer will consider coming to Norway again...

 

Here is the link to the Oslo seminar for everyone, just in case: 

https://zp130.infusionsoft.com/app/storeFront/showProductDetail?productId=110

Christian
Nilan said:

So hopefully Coach Sommer will consider coming to Norway again...

I plan to show him the best of times here so that will happen :-)

Sinom

Yeah, the price is stiff if you are a student! Hopefully next year then!