This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Skill Testing

Started by Bill Clarke, November 25, 2013 · 9 Replies · 254 Views

Bill Clarke

Tomorrow I start F1! I'm quite pumped. Due to enjoying calisthenics and weight training, I believe I could test out a few of the PE's. I will not be doing so for the first cycle (except HBP and RC), because I want to do some extra prehab and mobility before progressing to the harder PE's.

The main reason I want to prehab is because I has a minor shoulder strain at my work 11 days ago at my work. I believe it would be best to easy into F1 rather than start at a very challenging level for myself.

Anyway, on to my question: after a 12 week cycle of doing mainly PE1's, would it be fine to try and test out the later PE's? (PE2 and PE3 for example.) Or would it be best to just progress to PE2 for the extra time spent on Mobility?

Guest

Do week 11 of each element until you hit a stopping point. If you want to start somewhere else due to your shoulder, fine.

kimura

Remember to test each PE, whether it looks like you can do it or not! Hinge rows are harder than they look :)

Bill Clarke

Thanks guys!

I did test out hinge rows. Harder than I thought, but I still got them. Incline pushups were still easy though.

I meant to ask this question earlier: how much rest should I do between exercises? I know there is no rest (besides the iM), but let's say I finish doing my FL/PE1, how much rest until I do sPL/PE1?

Murray Truelove
Bill Clarke said:

Thanks guys!

I did test out hinge rows. Harder than I thought, but I still got them. Incline pushups were still easy though.

I meant to ask this question earlier: how much rest should I do between exercises? I know there is no rest (besides the iM), but let's say I finish doing my FL/PE1, how much rest until I do sPL/PE1?

About a minute or so. Get some water, shake out your limbs, that sort of thing. The endurance requirement of F1 has stumped a lot of people, it certainly takes some getting used to!

thecolin
Bill Clarke said:

I did test out hinge rows. Harder than I thought, but I still got them.

 

Just to be sure (because a lot of people miss this detail) you kept your glutes off the ground during the movement, right?

Joshua Slocum
Murray Truelove said:

About a minute or so. Get some water, shake out your limbs, that sort of thing. The endurance requirement of F1 has stumped a lot of people, it certainly takes some getting used to!

It's also well worth the effort. 

Bill Clarke

I kept my glutes off the ground. Probably 3-6 inches. Is that fine?

Ok, I rested about 45 seconds this morning when I worked out. A minute it is!

On a side note, I like to understand why I'm doing things. It makes sense to me that we are preparing the joints with these more basic exercises, but why so much endurance work? When I do squats or deads I've always been taught that 2-4 minutes rest is good for strength work. It kind of threw me off that there was such minimal rest. I don't mind the short rest times, because I can easily fit a workout in even with my college and work schedule. I'm just a little concerned I'll lose some of my previous strength gains when only doing F1, H1, squats and deads.