So I've been lucky enough to live in a place where one lap around the block equals 2km. This makes running for distance really easy to measure, but the only problem is that half of it is uphill and half of it is downhill.
I've only just started running it, but I have been experiencing some knee pain. At the moment my current plan is to complete one full lap without any discomfort in my joints, before adding another lap and repeating. I land on the ball of my foot when I run although this reduces stability and I slip a lot. Really, I should have hurt myself the amount of times I've twisted my ankles. Gotta love SLS/PE2>iM.
Anyway, how bad is it for your joints really? I've heard you should avoid running downhill entirely, but that seems unrealistic to me. I know the joint prep in F1 is going to help a lot with keeping my knees safe, but I've heard that joints have an total life expectancy that can be used up rapidly with stupid things like bad squat form and running downhill. Am I just going to wreck my knees continuing to run downhill?