This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE2>iM Muscled involved

Started by Adriano Augusto, November 21, 2013 · 26 Replies · 613 Views

Adriano Augusto

Hello family,

 

I keep stuck with iM2, a special relationship, but I don't care because with F1 it is the same same; I'm mentally prepare to handle this things without loss motivation, on the contrary.

 

But I'm curious about what muscles or "part" of the body could be the weak link on this exercise. If I warm up quite well, I can reach 90º parallel to floor without any weight, but when I put 1k or 1,5, it seems like I have no strenght in the same ROM. 

 

So, I know it is a lack of strenght, but maybe could be a lack of flexibility too, don't you think? And if it is like that, what muscles get activated on this particular iM? 

 

I feel triceps, biceps, shoulders, pecs... could be all? 

 

Thanks in advance!

Bipocni

Rotator cuff, rear delts, traps and rhomboids, I think.  Oh, and the long head of the triceps.

 

Remember to retract your shoulder blades.

 

It's a really difficult strength move because you're not used to working your muscles under those parameters.  Increasing flexibility beyond that point may be helpful (and for this I recommend german hangs) but if you can reach that same ROM unweighted, it's undoubtedly a strength issue.

Keilani Gutierrez

the pectorals and bicep is what's causing me the most grief.

 

SO close to horizontal.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SO CLOSE. 

no but seriously, check your chest and biceps. when Bipocni made an offhand comment about bicep growth, i really wasn't understanding where he was coming from and i honestly still don't(since i haven't seen any growth, most of it is in my back) but I can feel a restriction in the bicep. 

TANSTAAFL

For me to get parallel, I need to go the full length of my broomstick. Curious to know if you could raise to parallel with weight if you widened the hands.

 

Just making sure the width of the hands aspect is represented :).

Micawberian

+1 to the pectorals, as Keilani said. I used to do some massage or trigger point therapy which helped for this. There are like 8 trigger points on the pec major and another 2 on minor. They are easy to get to with fingers or a lacrosse ball.

I also found it helps to contract lats and then retract scapula before I start this movement. At first, I wasn't too sure about the lats because while they are used in extension, I don't know how crucial they are at such an extreme range of motion. But, when I try without lat contract with, I am much stronger with. Really difficult for me to lift if I don't focus on this lat contraction. See if it helps you?

Bipocni
KeilaniG said:

.....when Bipocni made an offhand comment about bicep growth, i really wasn't understanding where he was coming from and i honestly still don't.....

I made an offhand comment about traps growth.  Or rear delts/rotator cuff.  Either way, I wasn't talking about biceps.  Although they are getting bigger, just not as fast as the back of my neck/shoulder region.

Bipocni

Actually, now that you guys mention it, I am feeling some strain in my pecs during the movement, especially during my final sets.

Mats Trane

Start wide and pull the stick apart (pull to the sides as you being the stick up)

howens

Prehaps the comment was ment to be about traps growth, which makes complete sense, but biceps was whatc was said. It confused me too.

howens

Prehaps the comment was ment to be about traps growth, which makes complete sense, but biceps was whatc was said. It confused me too.

Jon Douglas

(Twas Biren talking about biceps at the time IIRC, which was also my experience)

Keilani Gutierrez
Jon Douglas said:

(Twas Biren talking about biceps at the time IIRC, which was also my experience)

good call! that was it! my bad, bipocni, i got it backwards
Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

good call! that was it! my bad, bipocni, i got it backwards

Next lets do song lyrics! XD

Keilani Gutierrez
Jon Douglas said:

Next lets do song lyrics! XD

wasn't it Metallica that wrote Bohemian Rhapsody?
Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

wasn't it Metallica that wrote Bohemian Rhapsody?

No, it was Queen FKA Prince, shortly after their breakout hit Ice Ice Baby.

 

Aaaaaaand back to handstands...

Bipocni

Well, I just lost at least 50% of my ROM on this exercise.  Why?  Because I was tucking my chin towards my chest.  This gets much harder with a neutral head position.

Murray Truelove

I'm making progress with this IM - I've got to horizontal but my hands are very wide. Over the past couple of months I'm moved my hands in about 15cm each but it this rate it'll take me another 9 months to get to shoulder width! Anything I can do to speed things along?

Alessandro Mainente

Include upper back bending movement with straight arms over the head will elongate the lats making the IM easier.

Ravn
Murray Truelove said:

I'm making progress with this IM - I've got to horizontal but my hands are very wide. Over the past couple of months I'm moved my hands in about 15cm each but it this rate it'll take me another 9 months to get to shoulder width! Anything I can do to speed things along?

 

German hangs are also very good, but beware of overloading your elbows...

Bipocni

OH man!  I winced so hard when I saw that!

Jon Douglas
Ravn said:

 

German hangs are also very good, but beware of overloading your elbows...

I am really into these (flex pulls), but they're not as easy as he makes it look! Be confident about your grip and the weight at a weird angle.

Ravn
Bipocni said:

OH man!  I winced so hard when I saw that!

Oddly, I find that it's actually one of the more comfortable stretches for some reason. I do 3x30 secs @ 10 kgs at every H1 warmup. Plus, it sorta lets you know what a manna shape feels like. Just add strength!

 

Edit: I use discs on a broomstick, grip at shoulderwidth...

Murray Truelove
Ravn said:

 

German hangs are also very good, but beware of overloading your elbows...

Despite the risk of dropping a weight on head I'm going to try this!... with something very light.

Tried German hangs the other day but I don't believe my elbows are up to it.

Gripjj

Can you guys keep your head position in a straight line when you get closer to 90 deg and is this what to aim for?

 

For me my head will tilt forward the closer to 90 I get. The instructional video is taken from an angle its not possible to see. 

Bro'

I don't know whether it's possible to do that without tilting the head forward, but I'm fairly certain that mastery allows you to tilt.