So psyched up to try new strength

Started by Iñaki Lorentzen, November 16, 2013 · 0 Replies · 1,852 Views

Iñaki Lorentzen

Hello everyone!! This is my first time posting on here, although I've been around for a while already, lurking for an adequate opportunity to post. Today the opportunity has been presented and I just wanted to share an awesome experience that happened to me yesterday with all you...

 

A little background from me..I have been following the GB Foundation 1 and Handstand 1 for about 7 months. I came from a period of almost 0 training for over 4 months because of a bad wrist injury (which still nags at me sometimes). Prior to GB training I had been doing quite a lot of calisthenics, cross-fit and weightlifting with good results...But without the guidance and adequate preparation my endeavor was doomed from the beginning, I fear. I also attended the London June seminar (which was great by the way...) and it gave me great insight on my training...Although I couldn't grasp many of the advanced level training cues and advice fully because of my pathological ROM and strength. Don't get me wrong, these seminars are completely suited for any level athlete that wants to progress more efficiently, in my opinion.

 

So after having introduced myself I don't wish to stray further away from my original purpose of the post, so without further due I will proceed :D .

 

Yesterday I attended my first (but definitely not last haha) proper men artistic gymnastics class. I was able to muster enough courage to overcome the fear to re injure myself and assist. The conditioning in F1 and HS1 + Kit Laughlin Stretch Therapy + lots of browsing online has provided me with the methods and mental path to overcome this big injury(and other more minor ones) and come back SO much stronger.

 

Class are Mon-Wed-Fri 2H of :

 

1. 20 minutes of a light to moderate warm up and afterwards we train by rotating for about 20 minutes on 4 of the 6 apparatus. We are a class of 6 so each one, depending on level, does his routine for 3-4 times on each apparatus. Yesterday was starting with: High bar  :arrow: Pommel horse  :arrow: Still rings  :arrow: Floor exercise

 

2. High bar was amazing. As are the callouses it left on my hands....ahahaha As it was my first time I only tried to swing while focusing on trying to maintain the adequate shapes during the movement and hand positioning. I can feel the conditioning of the shapes in F1 in this one. I had never in my life tried high bar swings before and could not control the shapes well (I guess its normal) but it felt a little instinctive by the end...

 

3. Pommel horse...I have nothing but the utmost respect for this apparatus :o The strength required just to swing the legs laterally, quite high, without bending the elbows was enough for me at first. They advised me to start trying to let go off of one pommel at a time slowly while swinging...WOW!! This apparatus has officially floored my ego once again, ahaha! I feel like the training for straddle planche and HBP in F1 is key to master this element.

 

4. Still rings was next...Man this is where it started getting serious!! XD Pulling strongly and controlled to an inverted hang, from there to inverted pike and then dropping back down to small swings, again trying to emphasize the body shapes and positioning of rings and arms/shoulders during the swings. To end pulling to inverted hang slowly and down to German hang and letting go, therefore doing sort of a "slo-mo backwards flip" lol. In between rotations the coaches "motivated :icon_twisted: " us to perform support holds on the rings, which I eagerly went ahead and did ahahah.

 

5. To end, we performed floor exercise. I enjoyed it quite a lot even though it left me quite dizzy :wacko: ahaha. I simply had to pass doing forward rolls and, then afterward, backward rolls. Here the ingrained mechanics of "rolling" from exercises such as the ones in SLS(Single Leg squat) from F1 or FL(Front Lever) kicked in. By the end of the class I was rolling out of an assisted handstand to my feet almost without the help of my arms :ph34r:.

 

To end, me and another 2 "hardcore" class mates topped it all off by doing some strict chest high pull ups and strict push ups. I couldn't do more than 4 strict pull ups because of the X-treme pain in my callouses XDD

 

Here, in Spain many people who work out (not only gymnastics) do not posses access to high level training such as GB. Many could greatly benefit and become freaky strong and mobile :P

 

Thanks if you took your time to read thru all of this long-ass post/rant. Greetings to all and train hard everyone!!