And I am not talking abaut the warm ups or set here and there. Do you do the whole 5 set masterys sometimes just to keep the strenght?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Do you still do what you have mastered sometimes
Started by Riku Calderón, November 12, 2013 · 24 Replies · 816 Views
On Saturdays sometimes I'll run through these things as a conditioning exercise almost be er 5 sets though.
not 5 sets but at least 2 forsure . Usually every saturday also for me. Twisting squats is a must for me and the dreaded ABH windmills and deck squats and tuck ups. I need to keep up on hinge rows. I do both PE and IM. I pick 3 of them along w/some cardio.
I stick with the PE's that caused me most grief, and the IM's that give the best bang for the buck. I only do a few sets as warmups though.
But if you dont do it. Does it mean that you will lose the ability to do high rep work when you do "only" 5 x 5?
I suppose in time you will lose it...
I followed charm's advice and do high reps for warm-up, works well I think.
RiQC said:But if you dont do it. Does it mean that you will lose the ability to do high rep work when you do "only" 5 x 5?
I've thought of this as well. I'm worried I might lose endurance as I progress to max strength work. Of course, I have to build that endurance first...
I like to do the ones I've mastered for 2-3 minutes straight. One set. I mix it up and do different things while I hold it such as rocking, opening and closing a straddle and crunching sideways. For elements like the push-up I will change hand positions throughout the set, do some on finger tips, hold it at the bottom or hold on one arm at the top and reach the other to ceiling. Lots of simple variety but nothing that makes the element something beyond my mastery level.
The little variety like this really makes it easy to have fun with the previous mastered elements and not stay monotonous. I always look forward to my foundation workout.
Matt JC said:I like to do the ones I've mastered for 2-3 minutes straight. One set. I mix it up and do different things while I hold it such as rocking, opening and closing a straddle and crunching sideways. For elements like the push-up I will change hand positions throughout the set, do some on finger tips, hold it at the bottom or hold on one arm at the top and reach the other to ceiling. Lots of simple variety but nothing that makes the element something beyond my mastery level.
Ha. Ah yes...2-3 minutes of ABH. I'll see ya in 6 years. Out
.
warm ups, i usually do the last elements for a couple of sets. if you pass a mastery you can use the "level test" procedure as a warm up.
for example now for FL i'm using PE4,PE5,PE6 as a giant set with no rest between elements...
I forget where but Coach said his students can do hundreds of push-ups (I'm using HBP as an example) because they have the strength to. As I understand it the high rep count in the early PE is preparing the joints for later movements as well as ingraining good movement control.
Using HBP as an example I do PE1: 21r IM1: 10r, PE:1 15r, IM1: 10r, then onto my current level PE2: 5x15r, IM:2 5r. When I move onto PE3, I'll do PE:1 21r, PE:2 15r for the warm up. and when I'm on PE4 it'll be PE2: 21r, PE3: 15r etc etc...
Even when doing PE4 you'll have 21 reps of push-ups and 15 reps of PPP in your routine. This seems plenty for me for maintenance.
Murray Truelove said:Even when doing PE4 you'll have 21 reps of push-ups and 15 reps of PPP in your routine. This seems plenty for me for maintenance.
True, but by the time you get to F2, every set is 5 reps. I'm guessing it's the same for F3/4...
Ok. Maby i'll just do a mastery test sometimes to make shure im still there
Murray Truelove said:I forget where but Coach said his students can do hundreds of push-ups (I'm using HBP as an example) because they have the strength to. As I understand it the high rep count in the early PE is preparing the joints for later movements as well as ingraining good movement control.
Yes but are you aware of when you master an exercise you are able doo do it for example 5x60sec/rep. But as time goes do you still think you will be able too do those 5x60sec/rep or only the 1x60sec/rep that you now use for warmup?
So i guess a single set (1x60sec/rep)shud prepare the ligaments and joints for the future harder exercies.
Jure Rakuljic said:
Yes but are you aware of when you master an exercise you are able doo do it for example 5x60sec/rep. But as time goes do you still think you will be able too do those 5x60sec/rep or only the 1x60sec/rep that you now use for warmup?
So i guess a single set (1x60sec/rep)shud prepare the ligaments and joints for the future harder exercies.
See my post here...
https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/13686-why-so-much-endurance/?p=135531
I suppose that a bit of work would be needed to go from 1x60 to 5x60, but it shouldn't be too bad, if you are at least used to do 1x60. About a months work or so.
Jure Rakuljic said:
Yes but are you aware of when you master an exercise you are able doo do it for example 5x60sec/rep. But as time goes do you still think you will be able too do those 5x60sec/rep or only the 1x60sec/rep that you now use for warmup?
So i guess a single set (1x60sec/rep)shud prepare the ligaments and joints for the future harder exercies.
The progression in the F series build on each other; the FL progression for example are all hollow holds. Even in HBP where you move from push-ups to dips you are still pushing, just in a different plane. I'm certain that if you were on PE5 for FL you could easily do the 5x60s that is mastery for PE1. Likewise with HBP even when doing dips for PE5 I'm sure the strength acquired along the way will be enough to do the 5x15r for PE1, 2 and 3.
There is also a lot of synergy; the sPL progression is all about the planche position, which just so happens to be the top part of a push-up. The HBP PE2:IM is excellent conditioning for the shoulder that I'm sure crosses over to just about every other element.
"Likewise with HBP even when doing dips for PE5 I'm sure the strength acquired along the way will be enough to do the 5x15r for PE1, 2 and 3."
I'm not entirely sure this is true. I can do the 5x5 dips and am on HBP PE3. And HBP PE2 was a pain to master. Maybe it'll happen further along the progression in more difficult exercises.
I think for some exercises you might lose the ability to do the whole mastery sets as you progress to different exercises. But you probably would get it back in about a 4 week cycle if you wanted it as it's easier to regain something that gaining it in the first place.
dritar said:"Likewise with HBP even when doing dips for PE5 I'm sure the strength acquired along the way will be enough to do the 5x15r for PE1, 2 and 3."
I'm not entirely sure this is true. I can do the 5x5 dips and am on HBP PE3. And HBP PE2 was a pain to master. Maybe it'll happen further along the progression in more difficult exercises.
I think for some exercises you might lose the ability to do the whole mastery sets as you progress to different exercises. But you probably would get it back in about a 4 week cycle if you wanted it as it's easier to regain something that gaining it in the first place.
I agree. I can do 5x5 XR Bulgarian dips easily whereas i struggle doing 5x15 pushups
Or you can implement mastery days in your training? To make shure you can allways do them. I bet you progress slover but who cares?
jaz said:I agree. I can do 5x5 XR Bulgarian dips easily whereas i struggle doing 5x15 pushups
Not trying to be rude, but how can you struggle at 5*15 pushups being able to do bulgarian ring dips? What form do you use?
To me, the 5x5 stuff is also way easier than HBP2 & 3.
Robmob said:Not trying to be rude, but how can you struggle at 5*15 pushups being able to do bulgarian ring dips? What form do you use?
I use that form : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mKyrPmmPt0
I think most people coming from a 5x5r protocol have found 5x15r a challenge in endurance especially with the integrated mobility work. I wonder whether this is the case for those who trained endurance first i.e. 5x15r, 5x10r then 5x5r as in F1. I stand by my point though, if you have sufficient strength earlier PE's should be manageable at only 5x15 reps.
I think a certain amount of "forever staying with the basics" is called for, otherwise you will lose the ability. 5x15 is simply more work than 5x5, unless the 5x5 exercise is three times as hard, which is absolutely not the case in F2.
Think about it: Having two long warm-up sets of HBP2 and 3 effectively doubles the volume of your HBP workout: 21 + 15 > 5x5.
This means that not staying with the basics cuts your workout in half, and, in the long run, also reduces your work capacity drastically.
Ravn said:I think a certain amount of "forever staying with the basics" is called for, otherwise you will lose the ability. 5x15 is simply more work than 5x5, unless the 5x5 exercise is three times as hard, which is absolutely not the case in F2.
Think about it: Having two long warm-up sets of HBP2 and 3 effectively doubles the volume of your HBP workout: 21 + 15 > 5x5.
This means that not staying with the basics cuts your workout in half, and, in the long run, also reduces your work capacity drastically.
I agree with this. The F series mandates warm-up sets.