back-off week

Started by Kenneth Manning, February 28, 2009 · 1 Replies · 2,717 Views

Kenneth Manning

I've been avoiding a back-off period in my BtGB program due to continued progress and that I just enjoy the hell out of this training so far. However, after Friday's workout, which consisted of:

A1) Advanced Frog stand 15 sec hold x 6

A2) Straddle BL 6 sec hold x 6

A3) Advanced tuck FL hold (knees pointing straight up) 10 sec hold x 6

B) XR muscle ups (from L) 12 x 1

C1) Tuck Front lever pulls 4 x 5

C2) Wall-Handstand holds 4 x 15 seconds

....I was pretty sore the rest of the day and felt in certain exercises I was losing form earlier than usual (i.e. back beginning to round, arms unlocking in adv tuck FL).

This was my 4th consecutive week of training and I think I would benefit from backing off this coming week. My question is, what's the best way to approach this? I was thinking:

*reduce volume and intensity by 50%. Essentially, perform half the sets of all exercises, and reduce static times by half for FSP exercises, and either reps by half in FBE's or switch to an easier progression of those FBE's. For example, in the above workout, it would look more like this:

A1) Adv FS 3 sets of 8 seconds

A2) BL straddle 3 sets of 3 seconds

A3) Adv tuck FL 3 sets of 5 seconds

B) MU's 6 sets of 1 rep

C1) Tuck FL pulls 2 sets of 3 reps

C2) Wall handstand statics 2 sets of 8 seconds

I've been working out 4 days/week, with a 5th day just playing around with technique. This week, I would just perform 2 workouts, working each FSP and FBE in the reduced intensity/volume fashion.

I'd appreciate if members would let me know if this is a good way to proceed, or if there are better ways to back off and allow a bit of recuperation before getting back into it full swing the following week.

Thanks again for any help!

Coach Sommer

What you have proposed should be fine. If you have been consistently working hard, a recovery week every fourth week works wonders.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer