This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

just started

Started by David Moyse, November 6, 2013 · 12 Replies · 290 Views

David Moyse

Hi everyone

 

I am new to GB and obviously this forum. Can someone answer  2 fairly straightforward questions for me please?

 

Although I am new to GB I am not new to training. I have competed in Boxing and Brazilian jiu jitsu for many years also played Rugby for 10 years and have done a fair amount of weight training etc even after all this I was still owned by some of the exercises in foundation 1 hahahha I had to laugh at myself in the gym. Obviously been building a house on sand all these years!

 

anyway my questions are as follows

 

1. of the 7 exercises in foundation 1 I am working through the very basic one of all of them until I have mastered them all, even though I am proficient in some of them. Should I continue like this until they are all mastered? or move up to the next level of difficulty on the ones I am proficient at whilst continuing to work at the basic level on my weak exercises?

 

2. Also the sets and reps are suggested as, for example 5x15 then 5x10 mobility drills on each exercise, do you suggest I work through 5 sets on one exercise then move onto the 2nd, then 3rd exercise and so on?

 

 I am currently doing 1x15  followed 1x10 of each exercise no:1 through to 7 until I have competed 5 sets of all.

 

 

 

 I hope that is clear I don't feel as though I have written what I mean particularly well.

 

 

 thanks

 

 

 Moysey

Bipocni
David Moyse said:
I hope that is clear I don't feel as though I have written what I mean particularly well.

Clear enough.  For the first question, you need to find your working level for each exercise.  If you can test out the mastery for one exercise, you can move onto the next one.

 

I'm guessing your circuit training assumption has come from your background in combat sports.  The way the program is supposed to work, you do all sets of one exercise before moving onto the next one.  The only rest time you can have between sets is the integrated mobility work.

 

Either way, doing 1x15 then 1x10 for each exercise doesn't fit with the cycles shown in the program.  I suggest you re-read your copy of Foundation 1.  ;)

Murray Truelove

To build on what Bipocni said an example 1st work out would look like this (I'm using the second day split as it has few exercises in):

MN:PE1: Tuck up 3 reps
ME:IM1: Stiff leg windmill 5 reps each side

MN:PE1: Tuck up 3 reps
ME:IM1: Stiff leg windmill 5 reps each side

MN:PE1: Tuck up 3 reps
ME:IM1: Stiff leg windmill 5 reps each side

 

Notice there is no rest, after completing the PE you immediately do the IM then it's the PE again until the reps and sets for that workout are complete (3x3 in this case) and now onto the next exercise:

SL:PE1: ABH 12 second hold
SL:IM1 Hip circles 10 reps (5 in each direction)
SL:PE1: ABH 12 second hold
SL:IM1 Hip circles 10 reps (5 in each direction)

SL:PE1: ABH 12 second hold
SL:IM1 Hip circles 10 reps (5 in each direction)

 

onto the next exercise

SLS:PE1 Deck Squat 3 reps
SLS:IM1 Skiers 10 each side

SLS:PE1 Deck Squat 3 reps

SLS:IM1 Skiers 10 each side

SLS:PE1 Deck Squat 3 reps

SLS:IM1 Skiers 10 each side 

 

Completed.

 

You don't need to keep them all the same "level" I am on RC:PE3 but only SLS:PE1.

 

Hope that clears things up.

 

**Edit** It's 5 skiers each side. See below.

David Moyse

Thanks Bipocni and Murray

In hindsight, and seeing it written down by someone else, that makes much more sense. I could not test my mastery of one exercise as I was fatiguing myself completing one of each of them back to back for 5 sets.

Thank you very much for your quick replies

Moysey

Murray Truelove

You're welcome.

 

I think most people have found that 5x15 is tough, even on the first PE's. There is very little rest as well. The up shot of all this is you are building a strong foundation. 

Riku Calderón

Just one mistake in Trueloves post. It's 10 skiers total in IM ;)

Bipocni
RiQC said:

Just one mistake in Trueloves post. It's 10 skiers total in IM ;)

Nope, it's 10 each side.  Coach himself said so. :P

Murray Truelove

Cheers RiQC. 

 

I'll leave my original comment with a small edit. Sure people will be glad to know it's only 5 a side.

howens

Im also fairly certain it's 10 total skiers.

Bipocni

I stand corrected.  I actually used to be doing 10 reps, before I upped it to 20 after I got mastery.  I'm still going to keep it at 20, because I only do a couple sets for my warmup.