Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2,409 Pull Ups

kombatmaster7

kombatmaster7

This is an amazing article about an 18 year old who set the 12 hour nonstop world record for pullups

http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/ch ... trong.html

At first I said to myself, he MUST be kipping.

That is impossible because he is very young and ....its just impossible.

One could say he had genetics on his side, but I don't believe that someone could go so far mearly with "good genes"

Ever since I was in 7th grade I was obssesed with endurance training because I watched these crazy cartoons with the protagonist doing thousands of pull ups and push ups.

My questions are:

How do you train for such a feat?

Is it possible for an average person to put on that many reps for a certain exercise?

How do you build high endurance (say for push ups and pull ups)?

Does massive strength directly correlate to massive reps in an easier exercise (from planche push ups to normal push ups)?

After I read BGB I started to not care about endurance and focus more on strength.

I secretly still want to do a 1000 push ups, but I value a 10 second planche more than 1000 pushups.

pce,

-kombat

Kombat,

Amazing amount of pullups! You cannot 'optimally' train several qualities at once for example endurance, maximal strength etc so maybe try to concentrate your efforts on a more limited number of goals for the time being.

If you look at one of the appendix's in BTGB Coach writes about an endurance activity (circuit) he had his athletes do; but also stated the importance of first building a solid base of maximum strength. May be something to consider.

Hope this helps.

This is the guy I was referring to in a another thread about specificity.

"When I started my training, I could do about 40 consecutive pull ups easily, after 6 months of it, I could only do about 25, so be careful if you choose to follow the path of an endurance athlete." - Jason Armstrong

Very interesting to think a lot of pullup enthusiasts could hammer this guy in straight pull ups.

kombatmaster7

Hey JL,

I never got what he meant when he said that.

Was his decrease in pull ups due to not allowing his body to recover from workouts?

Hey gymrob,

It is pretty awesome. It seems so abstract to me when you train for endurance because many don't know how.

Training for strength is very straight foreward, especially in terms stated in BTGB.

I never understood endurance training even to this day. I'm not sure if I'm right, but I believe that the stronger you are (able to perform high level strength exercises) the more endurance you will have in easier strength exercises (pull ups).

The way I see endurance training now is exactly how I see strength training.

Strength goes up endurance goes up.

If you guys can clearly explain how one can build their endurance (reps) that would be great?