This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

A bunch of questions [Cardio,equipment,scheduling,elbows!]

Started by VegVeg, October 31, 2013 · 13 Replies · 348 Views

VegVeg

Hey all, just bought this course, read through many topics all over this forum... pretty interesting but -

 

I see there is a lot of weighted bar work - could a stick / shirt be used as a replacement ??

 

On the fingertip push up exercise I have noticed that the athlete's elbows point to the side, while my elbows point backwards , is this an issue?? 

 

 

Also, I thought to schedule it like this 

 

3 days/week - F7

+

3days/week - H1 + cardio + stretching session

 

 

opinions? :)

Keilani Gutierrez

for the weighted bar work, you can use a dowel and weight plates. i cut a piece of bamboo and marked it with black electric tape. others hae used broomsticks and ankle weights, etc

as for the fingertip pushups, im not exactly sure what you mean? are you refering to the elbows flaring?

Murray Truelove

I also do as KeilaniG, using a dowel and a few plates. It's a good as you can fine tune the amount of weight you are working with. I used black AND red electrical tape, however you decided to do it, do mark your stick as it will keep things consistent and will allow you to see progress. Good luck!

 

Edit: thought I would link this thread https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/13339-what-schedule-do-you-do/ where people share their experience. My own experience of F1(7) was that in the beginning it was manageable but as all elements approach mastery it was murder.

VegVeg

Hey thanks for the responses,

 

Do you think that it is possible to just use my bodyweight and a bar to mimic these movements? (for example im1 and im2 -> just leaning my body into these positions )

 

The thing is I train outdoors , can't carry any equipment with me :D

Bipocni
VegVeg said:

Hey thanks for the responses,

 

Do you think that it is possible to just use my bodyweight and a bar to mimic these movements? (for example im1 and im2 -> just leaning my body into these positions )

 

The thing is I train outdoors , can't carry any equipment with me :D

I don't really see how that would work.

 

If you're truly outdoors, I'm sure you can find a stick somewhere.

VegVeg
Bipocni said:

I don't really see how that would work.

 

If you're truly outdoors, I'm sure you can find a stick somewhere.

Well just to show what I meant and an excuse to use paint :

 

 

qx8kls.jpg

Keilani Gutierrez

#slowclap

Murray Truelove
VegVeg said:

Well just to show what I meant and an excuse to use paint :

 

 

qx8kls.jpg

B-E-A-utiful!

 

But no I think you need to lift for this movement to be effective - That would just be more of a stretch.

Jon Douglas

Sorry, it's necessary to use a bar that is weighted in some way. Just the weight of a bar might be plenty.

The whole point is that it is developing active flexibility, lifting against resistance, rather than passive. Passive stretches like these can be great after your workout to get some more ROM if you're lacking, but it won't directly help your H1 work much unless you are coming from a real deficit.

VegVeg

lulz ok thanks :D

 

I guess I will try doing it with stones for now.

Jon Douglas
VegVeg said:

lulz ok thanks :D

 

I guess I will try doing it with stones for now.

If your improvisation is anywhere near the level of your Paint-fu, I demand videos.

-MR
VegVeg said:

lulz ok thanks :D

 

I guess I will try doing it with stones for now.

Stones are not going to work as your hands will be too close together. I've used a piece of webbing in the past when I didn't have a broomstick handy; I just needed to keep outward tension on it while lifting it over my head - it felt the same as with a bar though a little less intense due to the lack of weight. As you get more mobility, you can move your hands closer together when grabbing the webbing.

You can probably also add weight to this by clipping a water bottle on to the centre of the webbing. I'd draw you a picture but feel a little self-conscious after seeing your work (kinda' like singing in front of Pavarotti). 

 

The simpler option, if it works for you, is to simply do H1 at home. Get a broomstick and thread it through the handle of a 1 gallon or 4L plastic water or milk jug. Every liter of water you add to the jug is equal to 1 kg (2.2lbs). Voilà, instant home gym :)

-MR

Oh I forgot to mention, several of us have noticed that doing F7 2 days/week feels harder than doing the four day split, so keep that in mind if you start feeling burned out with everything you're doing. 

 

Rest is important if you want to make progress and want to avoid quitting due to burnout, so starting with F7 three times a week may be a bit much unless you're already used to that kind of volume. Just keep in mind that though F1 feels ridiculously easy when you first start, the intensity escalates fairly quickly.  

tri4ben

This thread was kind of boring, but then that picture...  Made my day!