This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090223

Started by Coach Sommer, February 23, 2009 · 6 Replies · 1,408 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD%20-%20090223.jpg

Perform:

3x3-5 SLS

3x3-5 single leg arch-ups

Finish with 3x10 Hip Extensions.

notes:

1) This is a maximal strength workout; as such add enough weight to the SLS and the single leg arch-ups so that they are quite challenging for the 3-5 reps.

2) Rest 3-5 minutes between sets. The only exception is when switching from the first leg to second leg SLS; these you may go directly from one to the other and then take the 3-5 minute rest period.

3) As noted in the essay referenced above, the first set of hip extensions is forward, the second is sideward and the third is circular.

Blairbob

I've been having some thoughts that before the GB WOD, I could do some working on skills like I would have done had I implemented a steady state cycles for planche and levers.

Typically, I try not to make my workouts what I would have done in the past as 2-3 hour gymnastics workout like I used to because of time, but typically I will do some handstand work and swing work on apparatus. I'm thinking I could probably add some steady state cycle work on days that don't hit planche and lever like this one as it doesn't do anything upper body.

While it does have the single leg arch-ups, I could skip doing lever work and focus on just doing some Muscle-ups, dips, ring HS work or HSPU. Basically just upper body stuff.

Thoughts?

Jason Stein

Blair,

It might be valuable for you to devise 2 or 3 different general warm-up routines that you could repeat prior to every GB WOD. A pulling one, a pushing one, a leg one. Each could combine static and dynamic work.

So if the WOD is a pushing WOD, you could do 3 rounds of pulling-based exercises as warm-up and skill-work. If WOD is pulling, a pushing warm-up would be good. You could rotate out either if it were a leg day.

I have been thinking about something like this, i.e. routinized pre-WOD warm-up and skill work, for a while, not least because habitual warm-up, stretch and post-WOD stretching are invaluable.

Please post if you come up with something...

jason

This is supposed to be a reduced volume week for me:

2x5 SLS @ 32kg kettlebell

2x5 Single-leg Arch-ups @ 10#, 15# plate

3x10 Hip Extensions, unweighted

Nobodystopsdblob

3x 5 SLS 15lb dumbell

3x 5 single leg arch-ups 10 lb plate

Finish with 3x10 hip extensions.

row 3 rounds 1 minute high speed 2 low. 1954 meters 21 spm 218.5/500 avg

Laney

I missed doing the leg workout from last Friday, did some running and stairs on Saturday and played basketball on Sunday. Here's what I did today:

(It was pretty tough doing all of the single leg stuff in one workout, probably defeats the purpose of gaining power...?)

3x5 SLS

3x5 SL Arch-ups (used a slanted back extension thing)

4 Rounds: [12]

10 Depth Jumps (about 2.5 feet)

30 sec SLS Jumps (5R, 5L, 5R, 5L)

20 Double Unders

(Did not have a tire, sled, box, or partner to do the tire/sled sprints)

Blairbob

Laney, some rope and a barbell could work. Rope the rope around the collars and either hang it under your arms and on the back of your neck or make a rope harness and tie it to that. They may think you are bonkers though. An easy sled is one of those plastic discs kids slide on ice. Just giving you idears.

I went to easy on this as I decided to do this at the gym so there really isn't a lot of weights around. I found 3 body bars of 9,15, and 18 pounds but I did forget I could have used one of the portable beams ( otherwise I would have used my 2-25lb DB ).

1st round I used 15, 2nd I used 27 and the third I used 42 pounds total and only then did it feel intense. Wasn't really sure how'd it feel so I played it safe.

For some odd reason, I went from light to medium to heavy body bar for the single leg arch ups but I probably should've used similar weights to what I did for the single leg archups.

I did this after doing some PH, PB, SR and FX. Just basics and swings. 3 rounds of pullup rock to front lever and 2rm of reverse crank paired with 10 kick to HS, 10 press to HS, and 10 attempts at walking in HS with a final round of pullup through front lever, invert to back lever and back. Reps were 5 on those and the pullup rock to FL. Attempted about 5 MU prior to that but didn't have much push strength today after doing the basic swing work on apparatus.

Stephen Casey

Done. Details on our workout log page.