After years of weightlifting (and the joint and back pain that often came with it), I am trying to develop a new routine based on gymnastics moves and holds.
Being an absolute beginner with limited mobility, I am starting with the most basic levels of the handstand, planche, front lever, and L-Sit progressions.
I am really enjoying it thus far - it's fun to do something so outside of my comfort zone - but am worried about one aspect of the routine. The level of each of the above holds that I am currently able to do (frog stand, tuck front lever, etc.) require me to dramatically round my back. I have had low-to-moderate lower back pain for the past two years (related to some bulging discs, particularly L5-S1, which itself was probably caused by weightlifting without proper mobility) and have spent the last two years avoiding rounding my back.
Should I completely avoid moves that I cannot do without rounding my back, meaning the the planche and front lever won't be possible for me to learn, and instead focus on things I can do with a relatively flat back (handstand, L-sit progression, etc.)? Alternatively, might the core strength developed from planche/levers help me to eventually resolve the back pain?
Any advice is appreciated!
-Drew