Planche and Front Lever

Started by Ronald, October 7, 2013 · 4 Replies · 2,850 Views

Ronald

Hi, I'm new here.

 

I am new to gymnastic training, I had a question about how would a beginner's workout be frequency/volume wise to acheiving a full plance...

 

I read you start with frog stance (which I tried the 1st time yesterday I did it for 7 seconds) and then progress to tuck planche ... and eventually pull planche.

 

I would like to ask about how often should I workout and how many sets etc... and how do I know I am ready to the next step from frog , then the tuck, then straddle etc...

 

Thanks,

Ronald

Bipocni

Well, obviously the safest and most efficient way to get a planche would be to purchase F1, F2 and F3-4 when they get released.

 

Ideally you start with a frogstand to get a handle on the balance, and then move to a straight arm frogstand to begin your planche training.  both of these should be trained to a maximum of 60 seconds.  A word of warning though: straight arm strength is a different beast altogether than bent arm strength and the transition to a straight arm frogstand can be really hard on the elbows.  I'd recommend you get a 60 second planche lean before you begin work on the straight arm frogstand.

 

From there it's a simple tuck, advanced tuck (tuck with a straight back) and then straddle, half lay and full lay.  Each of these should be achieved for at least 15 seconds, and there are various drill you can employ to help the transition from one progression to the next.

 

I seem to remember Coach recommending a 60 second total for a static hold, so once you get to the tuck planche you would need to figure out what your max for a set is, half it and do as many sets of that length as it takes to reach 60 seconds.  How many times a week obviously depends on your recovery ability, and your mileage may vary.  I'd recommend no more than 3, and just 2 to begin with.

 

Hope I helped!

Ronald

Yes you did, thanks :)

 

the frog stance I did was straight, I had my knees on the outside of my elbows and my arms were straight,  I trained again today and reached 14 sec max, and continued for a 60 sec like you said.

 

so I don't have to reach 60 sec max when I get to the tuck? you recommended 15 sec from the tuck to the straddle, and lay... if I didn't missunderstand, at 15 sec max tuck I move on to the advanced tuck?

 

Thanks,

Ronald

Bipocni

Try putting your kneecaps on the backs of your elbows, rather than putting the crook of your knee on the outside of your elbows.

Vincearoo

Not to be rude, but all your questions are answered in the forum all ready. A quick search will answer these. If you don't want to follow the foundation series, then dive into the forum and start reading all the posts. It will be extremely beneficial.

With that said, to show I'm not trying to be a jerk, you should not move on from tuck and adv tuck after 15 second holds. You need to work up to at least 3x60s holds. 15s is adequate to start moving forward once you reach straddle though.