Keeping a training log

Started by Jeffrey Wijnans, October 6, 2013 · 26 Replies · 6,851 Views

Erik Rissanen
Art Vandelay said:

Anyone willing to share their excel template? Graphing it out sounds really useful, and and electronic record is probably the way to go. I've just been writing it down in a notepad.

My template is pretty simple. I use a word document. I make a heading which has the current date. I make a note of anything special about this workout. Then I have a bullet list containing each exercise, the goal and if I did not make it, what I made. I also write down if there is anything I want to remember the next time or later on. If I was filming myself I will add filming notes to each bullet after each work out.

 

Here is a sample (just translated into English and cleaned up a bit to make it more readable ;) ):

2013-09-15

It's a Sunday and I'm lagging behind in the schedule of the week because of a cold. I will let the other exercises slip into the next week and I'll try to catch up next week.

 

  • FL: XXXX: 

    • Film: looks good, except maybe lifting legs a bit too high up. iM is looking better now, but remember to lift up fully into the bridge after each rep.

  • sPL: XXXX: really trying to push the lean as far as I can

    • Film: starting to look a bit better now. Good hollow and no pike, but scapula should be pushed down a bit more and need a bit more forward lean

  • HBP: XXXX:

    • Film: looks good, except remember to keep elbows in on all reps

  • RC: XXXX: was not able to pull all the way up in a couple of reps in the last set, but it was quite close, so try to keep up with the template after the deload week

    • Film: looks good

(Edit: I just noticed I posted this in the open forums, so I censored the exercise names)

dritar

As a software engineer, I prefer to use notebook and pen.