This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

First Form Check - Batman and Batwoman in the making...

Started by Oompa2, October 5, 2013 · 30 Replies · 808 Views

Oompa2

My fiancé and I started F1 about 9 months ago and whilst we are pretty good at critiquing each other it would be good to get some more advanced people to have a look. Apologies for the amount of videos but there are 2 of us and a lot of exercises  :)

 

It all started with a claim that he wanted to be Batman, then we started looking at really cool body weight exercises and then we found ourselves at gymnastic bodies. So that's where we are now; a convoluted way to attempting to become something of a Batman and Batwoman.  :P

 

The videos are the last set of each of each skill and at the end of the week; we completed them on Mon/Tues as well but recorded them Wed/Thurs. So I guess these are us claiming mastery of several different PEs. Well, claiming mastery on all but my PPP, god I hate PPP.

 

FLPE1 - Bent hollow body hold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MimgnK8DIrQ Batwoman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPKC51LX8pw Batman

im http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5sVZfDFSZk

     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt2RIH1awqM

 

sPLPE5 - Planche lean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dcLQFWJlkI Batwoman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si-2xxMIGxk Batman

im http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy2ZG7TWb5c

 

SLPE1 - Arch body hold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hexMB_4YXXY Batwoman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzHuOWWU45M Batman

im http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9ksh4a0deE

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVSYSB3FI3U

 

MNPE2 - Straddle up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXCSlnpPP6w Batwoman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF2rJiX7AFY Batman

 

SLSPE2 - Cossack squat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWyA5x5MPj4 Batwoman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQquP900hmo Batman

 

HBPPE3 - Pseudo Planche Pushup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLrLL1zpQlY Batwoman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAN6qDM7L6Q Batman

im http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igOUvXmGuAA

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91UJIfHSjpw

 

RCPE4 - Elevated row

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bDU1hfvjFE Batwoman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tNCO5eNkEw Batman

im http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoSO9_Ijt-Q

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df5JaHZIGks

 

Riku Calderón

Hi, I can't help otherwise than compering to other videos and with what i have learned from the forum. Everything is in different post. Sorry. Dont know how long i can do this today.

FL woman. Video not available in my contry :)

IM. The highest part is in upper back. I think it shoud be in the middle

FL man. I just got fron Jon in my own form check that your feet dont need to be that far away from your butt. He said that i do it harder for myself than it needs to be. I think your feet are even more out :) batman you are strong :D

IM. Kees are not as strait under your hip as woman has but looks really good to me.

Riku Calderón

sPL in not even close to PE5. So im not a big help but i think that there in not enogh lean. Man is closer than woman.

Riku Calderón

SL looks good. Man shoud lock hes knees in IM

Riku Calderón

MN/PE2 i have no idea what is enough. Not still like in the video and mans knees could be straighter i think.

Im just super jealous!!!

Riku Calderón

SLS/PE2 looks good! Mans body coud be more upright compering to the model video.

Riku Calderón

HBP/PE3 both you are doing the push up in your belly area. It shoud be in hip area.

IM not saying anything cause dont know nothing

Riku Calderón

RC. Sorry cant help :(

Oompa2

Thanks for the feedback RiQC. I would agree with the Psuedo Planche Pushups on reflection - we might go back a microcycle to work on a greater lean. We tested the next element for HBP (bench dips) today and completed it with slow timing and good depth, yet it makes sense to return to PPPs to perfect them. 

gohei_
Oompa2 said:

Thanks for the feedback RiQC. I would agree with the Psuedo Planche Pushups on reflection - we might go back a microcycle to work on a greater lean. We tested the next element for HBP (bench dips) today and completed it with slow timing and good depth, yet it makes sense to return to PPPs to perfect them. 

I don't wanna come off as rude here but yes, it makes a lot of sense to perfect the PPPs. You should not move forward until your form matches that of the athlete in the video, and it looks like you are not quite there.

Oompa2
gohei_ said:

I don't wanna come off as rude here but yes, it makes a lot of sense to perfect the PPPs. You should not move forward until your form matches that of the athlete in the video, and it looks like you are not quite there.

Thank you. We tested the next element because Callum believed he had mastered PPPs, and I just tagged along for the ride to see how I went. On reflection and after RiQC's comment, Callum has decided to repeat the final microcycle (which is what I am up to anyway).

gohei_

Sounds good :)

Vincearoo

For HBP, batman does not have a hollow body. There is an arch in the lower back. Protraction is lots quickly and there is not enough lean.

It's nearly the same for batwoman. Protraction is slightly better, but she is piked at the hips.

For sPL, batman can lean slightly further, almost there. Not enough Protraction and is piked at the hips.

Batwoman has quite a bit of a way to go with the lean and is also piked at the hips.

For RC, I can't see batwoman's video, says it's illegal in my country. Batman I think is pulling high enough in the first several reps, but the last three are missing great a bit of ROM.

Burtchell345

In the RC reps, I believe neither are pulling up far enough. Elbows should pass your sides at the top.

Micawberian

FL: girl needs to point her toes. Guy needs to lock out his arms and point his toes.

FL im: I think the girl needs to focus more on pulling her middle back upwards during cat.

sPL: Both of you don't have enough lean or protraction.

sPL im: could benefit from a wider straddle

SL: girl, insufficient rom, arms too low. Guy, insufficient rom, arms too low, needs to point toes.

 

MN: Girl, weak compression, toes not pointed. Guy, weaker compression than girl and bent legs and toes not pointed.

MN im: Girl, feet not together. Guy, feet not together and bending knees.

SLS: I would say the girl could go a bit slower on the reps. The guy needs to work on his mobility and go lower.

HBP: Girl, not enough lean, not enough protraction, hips arching. Guy, not enough lean, not enough protraction, hips arching.

HBP im: Girl, hapzard rotation, rushing the reps, too much momentum, seems to be jerking the weight on the backward movement. Guy, haphazard rotation, rushing the reps, too much momentum, needs to loosen the free arm, doing something very weird with the hips that I just can't figure out. How much weight are you guys using?

RC: Girl, too fast, insufficient ROM. Guy, too fast, insufficient ROM.

RC iM: rewatch Allan's demonstration video.


I'm surprised no one has called you out on this yet, but how are you both on the same exercises over a period of 9 months? It just seems like you two are on the same exercises because you wanted to keep together. I don't think either of you have mastery of sPL, MN, SL, HBP, or RC. Guy could work on SLS. You need to step back to your appropriate, separate elements or at least make sure you have actually mastered the previous exercises. If I had to guess, I am putting my money on skipped elements or poor mastery of prior elements.

gohei_

I think you two could benefit from posting form checks of the previous elements and see what the more experienced guys can say about it.

Jon Douglas

Seriously... you guys are spending your Saturday working through 28 form check videos at once?

Nicer than me :)

Op- id pay some mind to Birens comment if I were you. If you keep trying to keep at the same level, neither of you are going to be working at a productive one. Helping and spotting each other (and being harsh form critics) is a wonderful way to train and improve together, even if your strengths and weaknesses differ

LateStarter@46

The form criticism may seem harsh, but every bit of it is gold.

Aim for exactly as the video model does, with no deviation and you can't go wrong.

Enjoy the journey :-)

Oompa2
 
Biren P. said:

FL: girl needs to point her toes. Guy needs to lock out his arms and point his toes.

FL im: I think the girl needs to focus more on pulling her middle back upwards during cat.

sPL: Both of you don't have enough lean or protraction.

sPL im: could benefit from a wider straddle

SL: girl, insufficient rom, arms too low. Guy, insufficient rom, arms too low, needs to point toes.

 

MN: Girl, weak compression, toes not pointed. Guy, weaker compression than girl and bent legs and toes not pointed.

MN im: Girl, feet not together. Guy, feet not together and bending knees.

SLS: I would say the girl could go a bit slower on the reps. The guy needs to work on his mobility and go lower.

HBP: Girl, not enough lean, not enough protraction, hips arching. Guy, not enough lean, not enough protraction, hips arching.

HBP im: Girl, hapzard rotation, rushing the reps, too much momentum, seems to be jerking the weight on the backward movement. Guy, haphazard rotation, rushing the reps, too much momentum, needs to loosen the free arm, doing something very weird with the hips that I just can't figure out. How much weight are you guys using?

RC: Girl, too fast, insufficient ROM. Guy, too fast, insufficient ROM.

RC iM: rewatch Allan's demonstration video.


I'm surprised no one has called you out on this yet, but how are you both on the same exercises over a period of 9 months? It just seems like you two are on the same exercises because you wanted to keep together. I don't think either of you have mastery of sPL, MN, SL, HBP, or RC. Guy could work on SLS. You need to step back to your appropriate, separate elements or at least make sure you have actually mastered the previous exercises. If I had to guess, I am putting my money on skipped elements or poor mastery of prior elements.

Wow- thank you very much for the feedback Biren. We have both decided to go back and work on the elements from your assessment. Your comments are very appreciated! 

 

Just to clear something up, whilst we bought Foundation 1 nine months ago, we were both away and apart overseas and did not really start it consistently until we returned to Australia and were back together. We understand we will separate and are not trying to stick together :D You might be right about poor mastery of previous elements, however I personally don't believe so. The videos we posted are of the first elements we have found difficulty in doing (hence the concern and desire for additional comment) - I only wish we had of asked for feedback before 11 weeks! Ah well, live and learn I guess. That being said, I intend to go back over our previous elements with a very critical eye.

Again, thank you. Whilst it can be disheartening to hear you hard work is not crash hot, it is a necessary evil and we both really appreciate it.

Oompa2
Vincearoo said:

For HBP, batman does not have a hollow body. There is an arch in the lower back. Protraction is lots quickly and there is not enough lean.

It's nearly the same for batwoman. Protraction is slightly better, but she is piked at the hips.

For sPL, batman can lean slightly further, almost there. Not enough Protraction and is piked at the hips.

Batwoman has quite a bit of a way to go with the lean and is also piked at the hips.

For RC, I can't see batwoman's video, says it's illegal in my country. Batman I think is pulling high enough in the first several reps, but the last three are missing great a bit of ROM.

Thank you Vincearoo - we have both decided to work on our hollow body to assist the sPL and HBP. I don't suppose you have any tips / tricks for this? :D

Oompa2
Jon Douglas said:

Seriously... you guys are spending your Saturday working through 28 form check videos at once?

Nicer than me :)

Op- id pay some mind to Birens comment if I were you. If you keep trying to keep at the same level, neither of you are going to be working at a productive one. Helping and spotting each other (and being harsh form critics) is a wonderful way to train and improve together, even if your strengths and weaknesses differ

Thanks for the assistance Jon. We agree and are going to go back and assess based on Biren's comments...

 

Recovering from the NRL Grand Final today then straight into it I think!

Oompa2
LateStarter@46 said:

The form criticism may seem harsh, but every bit of it is gold.

Aim for exactly as the video model does, with no deviation and you can't go wrong.

Enjoy the journey :-)

Thank you LateStarter. You are 100% spot on!

Riku Calderón
Oompa2 said:

Thank you Vincearoo - we have both decided to work on our hollow body to assist the sPL and HBP. I don't suppose you have any tips / tricks for this? :D

How about FL/PE1-6 ;)

Oompa2

Well, we both went back a tested the PE elements prior to what we were up to.

 

We failed - particularly in the IM, but also in completing all five sets to good form.

 

Lesson learnt. 

 

Thank you all for your assistance and sorry for wasting your time. 

Riku Calderón

I beleave that no time was wasted and Super Batman and Super Batwoman are in the making!!