Hey
First of all, I am new so treat me gently. I have tried to read quite a few threads just to get a feel of it all.
I am here because I'd like to increase my flexibility and learn and improve my strength via the old school skills: Planche, lever, handstands, muscle ups etc.
I don't know how I fit the bill. I am 23, 5'11 and about 183lb. Body fat is low probably around 10%. I have always been physically active one way or the other. I did gymnastics as a kid. Being scrawny I started lifting some weights about three years ago, and lately I've tried some CrossFit. Having found this incredible site and the WODs, I thought it would be a good opportunity to get back in to gymnastics for good.
My questions primarily concerns programming.
First of all how many times a week should I do a WOD? I read that 2-3 times a week for 30-60minutes would be sufficient. Currently I am doing 4-5 times a week, and I really enjoy working out, so I don't like the whole idea to cut back, unless it is absolutely mandatory.
How about other stuff on top of the gymnastics? Do I need cardio? Heavy weights?
Just of the top of my head I was thinking about some stuff that I've discovered through CrossFit: Deadlifting, Squats, Tabata intervals, Long Cycle Clean etc.
And in this whole game where does volume come in? - I've never bothered to think about before...
I was thinking something like:
m: WOD
t: Deadlift + Squat
w: WOD
t: rest
f: WOD + tabata squats
s: WOD + LCCJ
s: rest
Best Regards