This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Need help with HS PE2>IM

Started by MrPuppeh, October 3, 2013 · 28 Replies · 866 Views

MrPuppeh

I need some prerequisities or something because I do not progress with this exercise and I dont know which muscles should i feel and everytime I do it I cant get used to this exercise - It is like an alien exercise.

 

Does anyone have long term struggles with this exercise ? Or im just too zombie ?

Guest

Wrong forum.

Keilani Gutierrez

I have this wierd thing going on in the middle of my back during this iM but I've chalked it more to muscles waking up than anything else because it doesn't give me nerve impingement pain. (knowing how to distinguish between what exactly are you feeling is VERY beneficial to all of us! it's kind of like the difference between driving and not having the car's dash infront of us with the speedometer, gas level, oil pressure, radiator temperature and having all that instrumentation to give you feedback. we all have that instrumentation: it's our nervous system. we just need to get in communication with it ^_^ ) 

 

is there any way you can post a video of you doing it? one angle from the front and another one from the side? on the front one, it'd be great to be able to see from your hips up and same on the sideways one. 

 

sometimes I can tell if i'm beginning to fail if i start to bend my wrists to get height, crane my neck forward, roll my shoulders forward. those are some examples. 

 

post up a vid and we'll get you sorted :)

Micawberian

What is the width between your hands and how much weight are you using on this exercise?

Don't be afraid to start at a very beginner level. When I was on PE2 I started with 3 lbs and twice shoulder width. This was the only way I could get the bar up to parallel. This was also a pretty hard exercise for me, mainly because of the bicep strain.

If I had to put my money on it, I'd say it's not a matter of using the right muscles or getting used to it...I'm guessing you are either using too much weight or too short of a grip, or both. So try what I said above and give it a couple of months. Over each week bring your hands just a little bit closer together. Then, when you have shoulder width, increase the weight and start again at a wide grip. This is what Coach Sommer recommended in a thread back when H1 released. Using that tip, I went from 3 lbs, 2x shoulder width to now 15.5 lbs shoulder width as a warm up...and the weight just keeps increasing...

Keilani Gutierrez

15.5lbs, Biren? #damn

Micawberian

Haha, only for PE2iM. I can't do an undergrip dislocate with that much, unless I really split my hand width. At the same time, I can't move on to PE7 until my wrists heal from being real stupid with H1 when I first bought it. I've got nothing much else to do in H1 except work my dislocates...so, I give them a lot of attention which is why the weight went up so much from 3 lbs.

Really, though, Coach's outline is so simple and it works incredibly well. I can't tell recommend it enough. Also, the biceps growth from PE2iM. All I can say is DAMN.

Jon Douglas
Biren P. said:

Really, though, Coach's outline is so simple and it works incredibly well. I can't tell recommend it enough. Also, the biceps growth from PE2iM. All I can say is DAMN.

IKR???

MrPuppeh

Oh gosh !

 

This whole time i have been using the wrong grip, no wonder why i did not progress because the grip that is showed in the video material is more comfortable and easier.

 

My bad guys

Adriano Augusto
is more comfortable and easier.

 

:unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure: 

Jon Douglas
MrPuppeh said:

Oh gosh !

 

This whole time i have been using the wrong grip, no wonder why i did not progress because the grip that is showed in the video material is more comfortable and easier.

 

My bad guys

Were you doing an undergrip?

Don't worry, that wasn't time wasted either-- dorsal dislocates will rock your world :)

MrPuppeh
Jon Douglas said:

Were you doing an undergrip?

Don't worry, that wasn't time wasted either-- dorsal dislocates will rock your world :)

Yes this whole time i have been using the undergrip and i could barely get to 45 degrees and my hands were my double shoulder width wide.

But with the overgrip and double shoulder width i can  go to fully 90 degrees and it feels right . :)

Thanks !

pogo69
MrPuppeh said:

Oh gosh !

 

This whole time i have been using the wrong grip, no wonder why i did not progress because the grip that is showed in the video material is more comfortable and easier.

 

My bad guys

:facepalm:

 

Oh no.  So was I!!  And I don't think I ever would have noticed, so thanks!!  I might keep at it and just add in what I was supposed to be doing!!

Mark Collins

I was until a few weeks ago!

kimura
Biren P. said:

Haha, only for PE2iM. I can't do an undergrip dislocate with that much, unless I really split my hand width. At the same time, I can't move on to PE7 until my wrists heal from being real stupid with H1 when I first bought it. I've got nothing much else to do in H1 except work my dislocates...so, I give them a lot of attention which is why the weight went up so much from 3 lbs.

Really, though, Coach's outline is so simple and it works incredibly well. I can't tell recommend it enough. Also, the biceps growth from PE2iM. All I can say is DAMN.

I'm confused as to why your biceps would grow from this exercise (pe2 iM), do you mean triceps?

Jon Douglas
kimura said:

I'm confused as to why your biceps would grow from this exercise (pe2 iM), do you mean triceps?

Definitely biceps :)

Keilani Gutierrez

come again, fellas? :P

Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

come again, fellas? :P

Well... yes, triceps too o course, but more noticeably for me, biceps growth. I've progressed these heavier (as well as Lsit lifts, same extension movement) and the biceps stretch plus the whole straight arm thing looks quite dramatic after a few sets.

 

Edit;

Eh, it's also possible it's just a pump from the weighted stretch and the growth is coming from other training. No need to look a gift horse too deeply in the mouth~

Micawberian
kimura said:

I'm confused as to why your biceps would grow from this exercise (pe2 iM), do you mean triceps?

As Jon stated, definitely biceps/brachialis. Deltoid is a close second followed loosely by trapezius.

Have you done this movement before? At 15.5 lbs this is officially the hardest bicep exercise I have done in my life followed by the coeccentric movement of HBP PE2 iM which I am currently doing at a mere 9 lbs. These puny weights just make it absolutely impossible for me to imagine the brachialis/biceps strength that I would need for an iron cross. Sorry, I can only increase your confusion concerning anatomy, as SLS SE2 iM takes the cake as the hardest triceps exercise I have ever done. HSPE2im is a triceps cakewalk compared to that.

And hell, the boy demonstrating undergrip dislocates is capable of 45 lbs. I just have a totally new level of respect for gymnasts. Their strength and mobility is flat out incredible and I feel like it is only something we can truly appreciate once we attempt it.

Jon Douglas
Biren P. said:

 SLS SE2 iM takes the cake as the hardest triceps exercise I have ever done.

 

Really?

Sorry Biren, on your own for that one :) Pretty much all of F2 FL is hardest so far on the triceps for me, plus HBP PE11/12

Micawberian
Jon Douglas said:

Really?

Sorry Biren, on your own for that one :) Pretty much all of F2 FL is hardest so far on the triceps for me, plus HBP PE11/12

Not that far yet! :D My strength is all over the place, I'm still on the core stuff for FL and simple Pe2 for HBP. The horrible contractions and triceps cramps I get from SLS SE2 im...I almost crap my pants thinking about the legendary manna cramps.

Jon Douglas
Biren P. said:

Not that far yet! :D My strength is all over the place, I'm still on the core stuff for FL and simple Pe2 for HBP. The horrible contractions and triceps cramps I get from SLS SE2 im...I almost crap my pants thinking about the legendary manna cramps.

Ah, I see the confusion here. That'd be *SL* SE2, not SLS, which would be single leg squat ^_^

Bro'

Do we even have a SL/SE2 yet ?

Micawberian
Jon Douglas said:

Ah, I see the confusion here. That'd be *SL* SE2, not SLS, which would be single leg squat ^_^

no lol I really mean se2im of the single leg squat progression.

I dont want to write the name up or explain it since we are in the h1 forum. But yea, the triceps are not even the focus of that particular SLS movement. Which is why I thought it would confuse Kimura about why we said the biceps are growing so much in HSPE2im instead of the triceps. Because here I am doing 15.5 lbs on HSPE2im which is obviously elbow extension but I don't feel the triceps working at all. But take a single leg squat progression in F2, and my triceps are working far more than even the legs.

Jon Douglas
Biren P. said:

no lol I really mean se2im of the single leg squat progression.

I dont want to write the name up or explain it since we are in the h1 forum. But yea, the triceps are not even the focus of that particular SLS movement. Which is why I thought it would confuse Kimura about why we said the biceps are growing so much in HSPE2im instead of the triceps. Because here I am doing 15.5 lbs on HSPE2im which is obviously elbow extension but I don't feel the triceps working at all. But take a single leg squat progression in F2, and my triceps are working far more than even the legs.

I really just can't see that one! But awesome :)

There really isn't too much need to isolate it anyway, so much is covered from different angles and the overlap is part of the challenge :)

Jon Douglas
Bro said:

Do we even have a SL/SE2 yet ?

I got confused with manna since Biren wrote it... sometimes my head is in the clouds I think...