Do not attempt this.

Started by Daniel Burnham, October 2, 2013 · 32 Replies · 8,885 Views

Daniel Burnham

Hanstand leg press combination. So stupid and dangerous. Yet very intriguing

Again don't attempt this.

Cody

I read your description before the video loaded and figured it would be crossfit.... :facepalm:

Jon Douglas

That's one of the most impressive and stupid things I've seen for a while!

Damn impressive handstanding.

Joshua Slocum

At least he was smart enough to use a spotting belt on the barbell (or at least it looks like it).

Bro'

As you guys said, impressive but stupid. But intriguing. Yet so stupid. But...

 

I don't even know anymore.

Rob Kowalski
Joshua Slocum said:

At least he was smart enough to use a spotting belt on the barbell (or at least it looks like it).

 

It looks to me like those are ropes of some sort pulling the barbell up from above.  He's not actually pressing it.

Daniel Burnham

Actually it looks like the rips are being used to steady the barbell as guides. It also appears he slips his feet into something.

Still his shoulder angle is pretty good ;)

Keilani Gutierrez
Daniel Burnham said:

Actually it looks like the rips are being used to steady the barbell as guides. It also appears he slips his feet into something.

Still his shoulder angle is pretty good ;)

think he might be prepping for a significant stunt in his career? :P 

spinelli

I think he's planning his entry for a Darwin award :P

Guest

But it's Crossfit, so it must be useful!

yuri marmerstein

That's Oscar, I'm fairly sure he went to circus school with Mikael/handbalancer for hand balancing. 

Daniel Burnham

Yea. I figured it was someone who knew what they were doing. The balance and line looks pretty textbook

Micawberian

Aw shucks, I only managed 25 kg on this. How do I build up to 35? :P

Bipocni

Reminds me of an exercise I saw in an old book.  I think it might have been sandow.

 

Anyway, you lie on your back with straight legs raised to vertical.  Now press up to a shoulder stand and back down for reps.  Did I mention this was with a heavy barbell balanced on your feet?

 

Ah, the good old days when no-one knew how spines worked...

Samui

An awesome stunt, amazed :)

Cole Dano

This is a case of mistaken identity, due to the CF banner being in the background. Oscar knows what he's doing, in this case, just having a little fun.

Handbalancer

He is an acrobat and circus artist named Oscar Karlsson. I was in school with him. He won cirque du demain some years ago with his teeterboard group and he is a pretty good handbalancer.

 

He did that just for fun and to make a stupid video. And yes, he does lift the bar. I havent tried but i dont think its particularly difficult. There is a classic pair acro balance where the base does a handstand and the flyer another handtand on his legs which is the real deal.

 Me and Oscar regularly train handbalancing at that crosfit gym though none of us do crossfit at all.

FredInChina
Bipocni said:
 (...) Ah, the good old days when no-one knew how spines worked...

 

You'd be surprised how much ancient people knew about what to attempt and what to avoid... :)

The absence of antibiotics or anesthesia for amputations was a great incentive................ :icon_twisted:

LateStarter@46

How could something unknown be an incentive?  :icon_twisted:

 

[Apologies, feeling frivolous today  :) ]

Rob Kowalski
Handbalancer said:

... he does lift the bar....

 

My apologies for thinking it was fake.  It looked too effortless, but that's just a compliment to how great he is.  

 

It's unfortunate that the crossfit banner is there though, because people immediately jump to the conclusion that he's a crossfitter who, based on the stereotype, is an idiot.  Knowing that he's a professional, I'd like to see what else he could do.

Bipocni

I'm going to assume lifting a barbell like this would be easier than lifting someone doing a handstand on your feet, which I'm assuming he's training for.

 

Wow, lot of assumptions going on here.

Handbalancer

he just did that to mess around. He doesnt train to base the handstand on handstand, as his main focus is neither being a base nor handstands. You have no idea of all the bullshit circus people do with their skills for fun. In one show I had with my class we wrapped one guy tightly in tarp and taped him up so he could not move except stand on his legs if helped up. Then we launched him off a teeterboard 5 meters into the air and he did 1.5 salto with a half twist to land on his back on a crash mat. Great stuff

Keilani Gutierrez
Handbalancer said:

he just did that to mess around. He doesnt train to base the handstand on handstand, as his main focus is neither being a base nor handstands. You have no idea of all the bullshit circus people do with their skills for fun. In one show I had with my class we wrapped one guy tightly in tarp and taped him up so he could not move except stand on his legs if helped up. Then we launched him off a teeterboard 5 meters into the air and he did 1.5 salto with a half twist to land on his back on a crash mat. Great stuff

I want to run away and join the circus. 

Richard Burns

I didn't even..

Rob Kowalski
KeilaniG said:

I want to run away and join the circus. 

 

Me too.  Now more than ever ...