This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Create a short introductory guide/FAQ

Started by federicoC, September 30, 2013 · 75 Replies · 1,666 Views

Jon Douglas
FredInChina said:

            'you think they are hard? wait for ABR!' ,

 

HAHAHAHHAHAHHA!! XD XD XD

 

I am seriously considering taking the time to write that. You sir have made my evening.

federicoC

Notice the function Jon_Douglas()

 

:)

spinelli
Jon Douglas said:

HAHAHAHHAHAHHA!! XD XD XD

 

I am seriously considering taking the time to write that. You sir have made my evening.

Go for it, would be a "harmless" bit of fun :P

Riku Calderón
FredInChina said:

This is explicitly in the course materials - nearly word for word!

You guys want a FAQ of some reassurance?

 

Whoops, I promised I'd try to be nice.......... :icon_twisted:

For a funny guy, you are not so easyly pleased when someone else tryes to joke. It fair :) it's not so easy when my english it this poor :D

Riku Calderón
Jon Douglas said:

One might almost suspect you aren't really trying... :P :P :P

 

RIQC-- I'll put in the butt off the ground thing because it's ambiguous in the course/video (for now at least), but it's a PE1- there *aren't* that many details for it.

Sorry Jon but this was too hard for my english to follow. Not joking :) sometimes i just want to cry!

William
RiQC said:

Sorry Jon but this was too hard for my english to follow. Not joking :) sometimes i just want to cry!

Let my try...he means, he will put that advice because it's not easy to see in the vid of RC/PE1, the thing with lifting the butt or not - but at the end it's just an easy exercise, so do it.

Jon Douglas
William said:

Let my try...he means, he will put that advice because it's not easy to see in the vid of RC/PE1, the thing with lifting the butt or not - but at the end it's just an easy exercise, so do it.

This ^ :) If I write 'shut up and train' for this, I have to write it for every exercise, sooooooo...

Cory Fair
Jon Douglas said:

This ^ :) If I write 'shut up and train' for this, I have to write it for every exercise, sooooooo...

 

Hence why neither Coach nor myself are writing the FAQ  ;) On a serious note, the portion Jon has written so far looks excellent.

James Hall
Jon Douglas said:

Mm, this one is a little tricky. Everyone uses a slightly different warmup depending on their preferences and what they are working on. I think the 21-15-9 example is a pretty good rule of thumb.

Can you give me an example or two of what you like to see answered?

Jon, what about including a template with a general progression. Something like including in rough order some locomotion, joint circling, stretching then general followed by (insert individual) specific PEs. Ie set up a template for us to add in the earlier PEs we like to use as warmup. We could include more tailored mobility In important areas like pike, shoulders and wrists and calf raises/connective tissue work.

James Hall

What about a sticky with a list of links to seminal posts by forum members which add to the published work

LateStarter@46
James Hall said:

What about a sticky with a list of links to seminal posts by forum members which add to the published work

Fred-utsdi-inChina, NO! Withstand the temptation.

James Hall

Not really, an FAQ can be a compilation of posts where the questions were asked and the answer worked out by the community. This may mean newbies understand the course ethos philosophy of senior forum members. Plus it would easier to compile😊

Bipocni

Clearly the lack of back lever in F1 will need to be addressed.

Keilani Gutierrez

the lower back/hip strength is already taken care of with the IM's, the part where we work it in tandem with elbow prep would be in the ring series (since it's in ring strength one, shooting in the dark since they said it won't be in foundation series that leaves rings)

Jon Douglas
Bipocni said:

Clearly the lack of back lever in F1 will need to be addressed.

I disagree. Look at the standard of exercises in F1 and 2. In terms of straight body strength a, say, 5x10 second BL might be appropriate around F3 level, but the primary reason for training it is as conditioning and prep for harder straight arm elements-- disregarding the arms, basic arch body holds give me personally less strain than a BL and the F2 straight body stuff, particularly FL, is harder IMO. It isn't in the courses so far because it's plain not productive (or necessary to accomplish the Foundation goals, we are dealing with a stripped-down approach to those relatively narrow goals) to isolate the elbow/bicep conditioning at this point.

 

That said, I'm a beginner barely into F3 material and have a strong back lever, back pulls, and weight my reverse cranks for reps. If you can do F2 material and you look after your elbow conditioning, a back lever is not a huge challenge, certainly not as hard as the Foundation goal movements. It might be worth changing your perspective on BL and looking at it less of an exercise in its own right and more as an accessory movement comparable to basic ring support position. Not a goal in itself, but a useful little tool to prepare for actual strength work.

 

(Everything here is strictly my perspective/understanding, there's no reason to take this as the official or correct approach.)

 

 

Back to the actual comment and context;

If people want to ask about x movement, be it muscle up, XR pushups, BL, whatever, it they can feel free. Coach definitely uses a BL in his conditioning, although the details and placement are yet to be clarified. Might as well as why PPP comes before bench dips, and does anyone really want to tread back over that again?

If I'm being unfair or dismissive please call me out, this is a community project that will only work if people contribute and devil's advocate doesn't mean I'm shooting you down, just that I want the details explained to me and I want it to hold up under fire :)

Jon Douglas

Heh, I am actually quite proud of that short essay on back levers :) what I mean is that we know it's coming,

 

 

 

MOST OF US

 

don't know where, and asking where it is going to appear, IMO, is a question that will keep coming whether it's in a FAQ or not until it DOES appear. So I don't think it's important to include. If I'm wrong, please tell me so.

The rest is just my rambling thought process on how back levers fit into the whole picture. Take it or leave it as appropriate ^_^

Cory Fair
Jon Douglas said:

Heh, I am actually quite proud of that short essay on back levers :) what I mean is that we know it's coming, we don't know where, and asking where it is going to appear, IMO, is a question that will keep coming whether it's in a FAQ or not until it DOES appear. So I don't think it's important to include. If I'm wrong, please tell me so.

The rest is just my rambling thought process on how back levers fit into the whole picture. Take it or leave it as appropriate ^_^

 

Rubbish, I know exactly where BL will appear. :)

Bipocni
Jon Douglas said:

Heh, I am actually quite proud of that short essay on back levers :) what I mean is that we know it's coming, we don't know where, and asking where it is going to appear, IMO, is a question that will keep coming whether it's in a FAQ or not until it DOES appear. So I don't think it's important to include. If I'm wrong, please tell me so.

The rest is just my rambling thought process on how back levers fit into the whole picture. Take it or leave it as appropriate ^_^

All I meant was that a lot of people keep asking why there's no back lever in Foundation, and I'm pretty sure Coach already has a copy+paste about elbow stress.  As far as muscle ups and pseudo planche pushups go, since F2 (the prerequisite for R1) takes you all the way up to ring dips and ring pullups, I figure muscleups will be right at the start of the Rings series.  Pseudo planche pushups before bench dips makes sense when you think in terms of progressing from horizontal push, dip (I don't know what kind of push that really is) then vertical push and finally multiplanar pushing.

Jon Douglas
Cory Fair said:

Rubbish, I know exactly where BL will appear. :)

Oh that's just mean.

 

In unrelated news, the FAQ project will be taken over by Cory Fair.

Sven Ravnstag

I did flat tuck BL statics for a long time before Foundation without even approaching proficiency in the hold.  Since starting Foundation work (while retaining a light BL static hold session as a warmup), I accomplished my first modest full lay BL last week.  This has really driven home the point that just because a skill isn't explicitly mentioned at a certain level of Foundation doesn't mean that you aren't training it/preparing for it.

Bipocni
Steve Sisk said:

This has really driven home the point that just because a skill isn't explicitly mentioned at a certain level of Foundation doesn't mean that you aren't training it/preparing for it.

I'm beginning to think of strength as a property of emergent behaviour.  Complexity is created by the relationships between very simple things, with the simple things themselves having almost no real importance.  What matters is the way they interact with each other, which can lead to things you never expected just kind of... happening.  Foundation is amazing simply because of the way that the various exercises and mobility elements come together to form this system of incredible power.  Any number of seemingly unrelated elements come to mind, that once mastered help you in ways you never would have expected.  A recent rope climb vs one arm chinup argument comes to mind, where it was said that once you have the rope climb, you may well have the one arm chinup without even training for it, and that once you finish F4 you will be able to do so many things that you didn't even train for, specifically because you're so well prepared.  This is emergence in action, the fact that you can gain the ability to do things above your current working level, as if by magic.  I'd seen the concept mentioned before in heavy philosophical texts, but to see it relate so well to my own training really blows my mind.

 

Bit of a wild tangent, I will admit.  But hey, maybe we can put that in the FAQ?

spinelli

Can't remember if someone has already said this but can it be stressed at the start of the FAQ that proper nomenclature should be used when asking for help? This would make searching for help much easier and hopefully limit the number of threads on the same topic to no more than one or two. 

Jon Douglas
spinelli said:

Can't remember if someone has already said this but can it be stressed at the start of the FAQ that proper nomenclature should be used when asking for help? This would make searching for help much easier and hopefully limit the number of threads on the same topic to no more than one or two.

Good point, that'll help us all with searching

Keilani Gutierrez
Bipocni said:

I'm beginning to think of strength as a property of emergent behaviour.  Complexity is created by the relationships between very simple things, with the simple things themselves having almost no real importance.  What matters is the way they interact with each other, which can lead to things you never expected just kind of... happening.  Foundation is amazing simply because of the way that the various exercises and mobility elements come together to form this system of incredible power.  Any number of seemingly unrelated elements come to mind, that once mastered help you in ways you never would have expected.  A recent rope climb vs one arm chinup argument comes to mind, where it was said that once you have the rope climb, you may well have the one arm chinup without even training for it, and that once you finish F4 you will be able to do so many things that you didn't even train for, specifically because you're so well prepared.  This is emergence in action, the fact that you can gain the ability to do things above your current working level, as if by magic.  I'd seen the concept mentioned before in heavy philosophical texts, but to see it relate so well to my own training really blows my mind.

 

Bit of a wild tangent, I will admit.  But hey, maybe we can put that in the FAQ?

it's a very valid tangent, but it isn't magic. :) there's only so many ways the hip can flex or how many ways the elbow can pronate. (trick observation) 

 

but question's like "why isn't back lever in F1?" which i'll admit, i thought it was gonna be in there but it isn't, they can be answered in forum "because you're lower back and hip strength is already being addressed in another section of the Foundation course"

 

you can only address so many things in a FAQ because they're supposed to be "Frequently Asked Questions" about mastery, form, tempo, what to do to keep weeks in sync for deload(i posted about this earlier) and what to do if i have doubts on mastery or execution, etc.

 

not over-spoon feed people in it, only answer the questions that will solve any beginner related situations, like me, i made the mistake of scaling the iM for the first three workouts when i started using Foundation. 

 

the rest, leave it for the forum, that's where we come in as a community(I think) 

Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

 

the rest, leave it for the forum, that's where we come in as a community(I think) 

If not for this, you wouldn't get my awesome short essay on back levers! XD