This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Create a short introductory guide/FAQ

Started by federicoC, September 30, 2013 · 75 Replies · 1,666 Views

Bipocni

Could we put a list of moderators in the FAQ so they can PM you guys instead of opening up new threads?

Jon Douglas
Bipocni said:

Could we put a list of moderators in the FAQ so they can PM you guys instead of opening up new threads?

There's a link to the list of mods on the bottom of the main forum page; I'm not sure there are too many reasons to contact us via PM in a mod capacity. People can always report posts, and nothing is going to stop people starting new threads for advice from community managers/Coach, either because they are certain that their problem is unique or because they are advanced enough of the pack to need that kind of qualified advice.

There is also a 'Meet the Mod Team' going ahead behind the scenes, which is not mine ^_^ I don't think it's necessary to include it in the FAQ. Is that reasonable, or am I missing a solid case for putting it in?

Joshua Slocum
Bipocni said:

Could we put a list of moderators in the FAQ so they can PM you guys instead of opening up new threads?

Unless you have a very good reason for a question to be private, you should post it on the forum so that it's available as a resource for others. 

spinelli

An equipment FAQ is a very good idea, would be great if it could include substitutes for various pieces of equipment and lacking something like rings or stall bars (a state which I currently find myself in) could substitutions for the progression be suggested? 

Jon Douglas
spinelli said:

An equipment FAQ is a very good idea, would be great if it could include substitutes for various pieces of equipment and lacking something like rings or stall bars (a state which I currently find myself in) could substitutions for the progression be suggested? 

Got this covered :)

I've given an ideal equipment list and a few common substitutions for them. Again, I can't cover every single situation but I'm sure you can pick up some ideas.

One of my favourites has been putting a plank against a pullup bar to emulate stall bars for HLL. Someone put that up a little while ago, that's serious McGuyver style right there.

federicoC

Glad to see that we finally work on it. 

 

Other things we should make clear:

> what to do if you are supposed to do, say, week 6 4x36 on an element and you get out 36,30,25,20 only

> order of elements within a workout. It seems quite clear now that one is free, accoding to its weaknesses and strength, to shuffle aroud elements.

> some specific comment on the frequency of a given exercise in 5 weeks template

Jon Douglas
federicoC said:

Glad to see that we finally work on it.

Other things we should make clear:

> what to do if you are supposed to do, say, week 6 4x36 on an element and you get out 36,30,25,20 only

> order of elements within a workout. It seems quite clear now that one is free, accoding to its weaknesses and strength, to shuffle aroud elements.

> some specific comment on the frequency of a given exercise in 5 weeks template

Its a case of, the actual staff have their hands full so it had to wait until someone who knows the forum and material inside out has time. You got me instead, sorry :)

What do you mean by the last one here? The 5 day a week is pretty clear that you do 3*A and 2*B, isn't it?

federicoC

:)

 

I mean that someone had trouble with this, it was not clear whether it should be periodic (alternating) or whether the general structure was always 3*A and 2*B over the entire cycle.

Invertable

A word or two about warm-ups could be helpful.  It is touched on in the material, but I have still seen quite a few questions about it and have some myself.

 

Thanks for putting this together!

Jon Douglas
Invertable said:

A word or two about warm-ups could be helpful.  It is touched on in the material, but I have still seen quite a few questions about it and have some myself.

 

Thanks for putting this together!

Mm, this one is a little tricky. Everyone uses a slightly different warmup depending on their preferences and what they are working on. I think the 21-15-9 example is a pretty good rule of thumb.

Can you give me an example or two of what you like to see answered?

Invertable

To be completely honest I haven't looked into the warm-up a lot since I am on the 1st level of most of the exercises.  From reading the material, I assumed you did the previous levels of the exercise you are about to do with the 21-15-9 sets. So on Monday you might do SL/PE1, SL/PE2, and SL/PE3 for a warmup before you do SL/PE4.  Then you do MN/PE1, MN/PE2, and MN/PE3 as a warm-up before you do MN/PE4, etc.  But then I thought maybe instead you do 21-15-9 for all the day's exercises at the beginning of your workout.  Then I thought maybe you do the 21-15-9 for all 7 of the exercises.  

 

Like I said, this has probably been answered many times and I just haven't needed to look it up yet.  If you decide not to put it in the FAQ, I'll use the search feature.  :)

FredInChina
Invertable said:

(...) I haven't looked into the warm-up (...)  this has probably been answered many times and I just haven't needed to look it up yet.  (...)  I'll use the search feature. 

 

That sums it up quit nicely Invertable! Thank you, you win the thread. :)

 

Why do we need a FAQ for again? :facepalm:

 

 

I haven't looked into the [insert exercise]; this has probably been answered many times and I just haven't looked it up yet. I'll use the search feature.

Jon Douglas

Noted, Fred, and in this case I agree with you. Play nice though, I do want opinions.and suggestions!

It's my opinion that warmup is adequately addressed by course notes. If you or anyone thinks otherwise go ahead and make a case for it.

IMO this is bringing too much structure to a part of the program which is intended to be more organic. Someone at the exact same progressions as me will require different things in their specific warmup due to our different strengths and weaknesses. Plus, it's playtime.

Edit;

I make no secret of wanting to keep this as short and pertinent as possible. I am not interested in writing a walkthrough or accompanying textbook, just as no one wants to read it. Time reading is time not training, experimenting and moving with all this new material someone has just bought (and is rapidly getting discouraged to actually apply, seeing pages of prior reading). This is strictly "get started ASAP"

Im happy to have my mind changed if you really think something is important for newcomers. However, Im doing this gratis, so please don't be offended by my laying down the law :) nothing personal, just keeping eye on the goal.

Just so we are all on the same page :)

FredInChina
Jon Douglas said:

(...) Play nice though (...)

 

hehehe, this does not come naturally to me, but I'll try :P

Bipocni

Maybe some general advice on what to do if you miss a week as well.

William

warm up before you mastered the first Pe's, maybe? Because there are no Pe's of which i can do the rep scheme.

Riku Calderón

Maby one headline of RC/PE1

And the advice would be:

No do not start to think about it. Just copy the video and you'll be fine :)

Bipocni

Maybe another one for arch holds saying "they wont last forever."

Jon Douglas

Hinge row FAQ will just include a link to Zach's profile.

ABH has been pretty well covered from every angle IMO... the only question is likely to be 'Really? This again today?' The answer should be self explanatory.

e04

clarification on straddle-up mobility, flexibility.

Jon Douglas
e04 said:

clarification on straddle-up mobility, flexibility.

Can you please clarify what the frequently asked question is? :)

FredInChina
RiQC said:

Maby one headline of RC/PE1

And the advice would be:

No do not start to think about it. Just copy the video and you'll be fine :)

 

This is explicitly in the course materials - nearly word for word!

You guys want a FAQ of some reassurance?

 

Whoops, I promised I'd try to be nice.......... :icon_twisted:

FredInChina
e04 said:

clarification on straddle-up mobility, flexibility.

 

Jon Douglas said:

Can you please clarify what the frequently asked question is? :)

 

Q: Why can't I just perform 5x15 straddle ups without having to train for it? I've bee on it for 3 weeks already!

A: Because it is hard and it takes time on the job --- Maybe Foundation is not for you after all?

 

 

Whoops, I promised I'd try to be nice.......... :icon_twisted:

I need more time on this preparatory exercise :D

Jon Douglas
FredInChina said:

Q: Why can't I just perform 5x15 straddle ups without having to train for it? I've bee on it for 3 weeks already!

A: Because it is hard and it takes time on the job --- Maybe Foundation is not for you after all?

 

 

Whoops, I promised I'd try to be nice.......... :icon_twisted:

One might almost suspect you aren't really trying... :P :P :P

 

RIQC-- I'll put in the butt off the ground thing because it's ambiguous in the course/video (for now at least), but it's a PE1- there *aren't* that many details for it.

FredInChina

Module Automated_FAQ_proposal():

 

> prompt "type your question here: "

> get.raw_input

> verify_raw_input()

> ignore.raw_input

> n = 10*int(rand())+1    #Generate random number as integer between 1-10

> prompt 'answer: ' + answer(n)

 

> def verify_raw_input():

          > if raw_input != old_question(lst)

                    > old_question.append(raw_input)

                    > call Jon_Douglas()

          > return

 

> def answer(n):

          >answers[] = [

            'verify that you have really mastered the previous elements' ,

            'go back one micro cycle' ,

            'make sure you sleep well' ,

            'use the search function for tips and advice' ,

            'misery loves company, use the search function to find similar users' ,

            'you think they are hard? wait for ABR!' ,

            'Go back to previous element and master the iM!' ,

            'Eat more!' ,

            'Nice try, give me 20!' ,

            're-read the course materials' ]

 

>end