Hi guys, i wanted to know where i could find information about the laverage in the various angles, joints, anatomy, things like that which you frequently talk about.
I can only find this through books or i can find it only for free?
Started by Leandro Santos, September 26, 2013 · 10 Replies · 3,606 Views
Hi guys, i wanted to know where i could find information about the laverage in the various angles, joints, anatomy, things like that which you frequently talk about.
I can only find this through books or i can find it only for free?
To really understand about these things you would basically need to take several classes concerning the anatomy and physiology of the joints as well as a biomechanics/kinesiology class. The former describe the geometry and composition of the body while the later will help you understand what happens under movement and how to calculate forces/moments. Personally I have read chapters from many different books covering these things but have not gone through one single source. Basically pick a joint and learn about the anatomy.
According to an undergraduate here at Georgia Tech they are using the following textbook:
http://www.amazon.com/Biomechanics-Principles-Applications-Second-Edition/dp/0849385342
You might be able to find some free powerpoint slides or articles describing pieces but to get a thorough understanding you will need to either take a college level class or read through some books. (most of the good up to date ones are not free)
If you don't have some background in engineering the math may be a bit tricky too. Though it is not terribly hard. Usually it will only involve join trigonometry to calculate forces and moments based on the angles in anatomy. Doing calculations of the forces during dynamic motions, however, will require some calculus or a gross simplification.
Ok, i understand now, so basically i would need to study well to understand well, which would basically involve books and(or) classes.
Daniel, personally where u get information about those subjects? U read books?
Leandro Santos said:Ok, i understand now, so basically i would need to study well to understand well, which would basically involve books and(or) classes.
Daniel, personally where u get information about those subjects? U read books?
I am a BioEngineer so I read books, papers, and take classes on the subject. This kind of stuff is basically just taking general engineering practices and combining it with physiology and anatomy. I however do little with bio-mechanics and do more with electrophysiology like nerve and heart signals.
Thanks for the support, i wanted to learn all that stuff to know more about my body and it's function but by what i'm seeing, it's going to be hard. Thanks anyway ![]()
I've found a very good site to get information, it's full of articles and search regarding anatomy,etc.
Daniel Burnham said:I am a BioEngineer so I read books, papers, and take classes on the subject. This kind of stuff is basically just taking general engineering practices and combining it with physiology and anatomy. I however do little with bio-mechanics and do more with electrophysiology like nerve and heart signals.
Wow. That's quite serious. What made you decide to do electrophysiology over say, kinesiology? I only ask because I could see how kinesiology would appeal to a gymnast.
Bipocni said:Wow. That's quite serious. What made you decide to do electrophysiology over say, kinesiology? I only ask because I could see how kinesiology would appeal to a gymnast.
I have been doing electrical engineering for longer than I have practiced gymnastics, or even worked out for that matter. It has always appealed to me. The bioengineering side came out when I got interested in health and fitness. I've only been practicing gymnastic skills for like a year. I had actually never done a strength workout until my second year of college.
Daniel Burnham said:I have been doing electrical engineering for longer than I have practiced gymnastics, or even worked out for that matter. It has always appealed to me.
Electrical or electronic? Because I'm planning to go the electrical engineering route myself someday.
Daniel Burnham said:I've only been practicing gymnastic skills for like a year. I had actually never done a strength workout until my second year of college.
I'm sure you're sick of this by now, but have I mentioned how ridiculous you are? ![]()
My go-to reference is Trail Guide to the Human Body http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Guide-Body-Andrew-Biel/dp/0982663404/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1380825974&sr=1-1&keywords=trail+guide+to+the+body
It has origins and insertions, biomechanics, instructions on how to palpate each muscle, even details that a lot of anatomy books gloss over like which nerve innervates each muscle, and the location and function of major ligaments.