The "squat" for Hamstring

Started by Leandro Santos, September 26, 2013 · 4 Replies · 2,381 Views

Leandro Santos

Hi guys, could you tell me some bodyweight hamstring exercise that is effective in building strenght in the hamstrings like the squat is for the quads? 

 

Are there any progessive variations to the given exercise?

 

I don't have any of Coach books now.

 

Thanks to everyone  :)

Helander

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trvd6vsIE2o

 

Probably the deadliest one!

 

Have a friend spot you, since you probably can't extend yourself very far down when beginning this exercise. We used to do it so that my friend puts a plastic band around my throat and pulls me back. Think about the Soviet Union!

Bipocni

Yep, those are pretty much king.

 

I've found arch body variations to be pretty hard on my hamstrings, especially when I focus on keeping my knees together.  Pressing up into the locust position is pretty good too.

 

To bridge the gap between the two, back extensions are pretty good for your hamstrings, especially if you do them with one leg.

 

If you want to use your hamstrings more when you squat, try squatting on one leg with the other held straight out in front of you.  It forces you to sit back and activate your posterior chain more.  Try squatting on one leg while holding onto something to get a good burn.

Helander

 

 

I've found arch body variations to be pretty hard on my hamstrings, especially when I focus on keeping my knees together.  Pressing up into the locust position is pretty good too.

Yeah, I noticed this a couple of months ago, had been procrastinating with my F1 work for months because it seemed too "easy" for my big ego, then realized how much i sucked and got on with it again.

Leandro Santos

Thanks guys, really enjoyed all the answers  :) . Thanks for the support