Hey everybody! I'm Doctor Octopus.
Anyhow, I have a few questions.
I have my own barbell routine that is basically "Power to the People", with deadlifting and military pressing 4 or 5 days per week. I also am doing heavy T-handle swings, rows, chinups, dips, weighted dip negatives, and some olympic lifting (I have an olympic platform only, so in order to military press, I must first clean the weight).
What I hope to do with gymnastics is start slow and just add the isometrics to my weightlifting routine, just like this article on Dragon Door. I also remember reading in BtGB that lots of guys made their own routine and did gymnastics and lifting weights at the same time. This mixed approach appeals to me since I already have a weight set.
http://www.dragondoor.com/articles/building-an-olympic-body-through-bodyweight-conditioning/
I can do a tuck front lever for 10 seconds and a tuck back lever for about 12 seconds, now my question is related to the planche. With only an olympic platform and no bench press, my horizontal pressing strength is miserable.
What I have been doing is just grabbing the parallel bars of my dip station, tucking my legs into my chest, and trying to lean forward, but my knees are still far ahead of my elbows and I can only hold the position for four or five seconds at the most. Will this rectify over time? How can I assist the planche progression?
However at 205# I am still at about 20% body fat. If I can cut down to 175# do you guys think I would be able to tuck planche?
I'm not terribly worried (at the moment) about shoulder health. I warm up for military press with cuban presses and I can do a dislocation that's a little more than shoulder width apart.
Thanks considerably!
DocOc