Hip flexors and Straddle Planche

Started by Dan Jeong, September 23, 2013 · 4 Replies · 5,687 Views

Dan Jeong

I have been working on planche for a while but I think the reason that I am progressing really slow is because of my weak hip flexors. Whenever I am in a straddle planche, I feel a lot of strain on my hip flexors. I think I have more than enough abs/back/shoulder strength but I think the hip flexors are holding me back from learning planche. Any ideas and anyone have any good suggestions on how to build strength on hip flexors?

I do L-sits and hanging leg raises in regular basis.

Thanks

ChrisUK

I would say back off the straddle planche training before you overtrain/injure yourself. Go back to some more basic variations such as advanced frog stands, to work the hip flexors still but less heavily.

 

It's hard to hear, but I was performing a decent straddle planche for around ~6-8s a year ago, and I started getting strains all over, so even though I had the muscular strength and neuro-muscular co-ordination to perform the move, my joints/ligaments/tendons were not prepared in the slightest. 

 

Training L-sits and HLL are fantastic, so keep doing those, but you may be overtraining the hip flexors if you are doing those as well as straddle planche training, and have not built up enough work capacity yet.

 

Weak hips has been a problem of mine as well. What I have found helped a lot was actually the integrated mobility for manna and front lever in F1. While I cannot give away specific information, look in to hip circles and basic bridging.

 

The hips are important to everything you do, including walking. You don't want to mess those up.

Daniel Burnham

Foundation series will clear all this stuff up if you can swing it.

Alessandro Mainente

Low ability to maintain a split in planche is due to different problems. One can be poor butt strength in order to actively elongate the legs muscles that work against split. very low hamstrings and adductors that cannot be elongated more by your butt strength or hips flexors strength.

Foundations covers all the major part of that problems.

Dan Jeong

Thanks for the replies guys. I decided to go back to fundamentals and will be starting over from the advanced frog stand and holding bent arm planche. Not gonna lie, it feels weird to go back several steps back