Another weighted routine, comment please

Started by Martynas MorkÅ«nas, September 23, 2013 · 6 Replies · 3,336 Views

Martynas Morkūnas

Once again hello to you all.

 

At some point I have reached a plateau in bodyweight training, my progress is much slower than before  (mostly FL and PL and tremendously slow progress at HSPU). So I decided to take a little break and do some weight training, build up my strength.

 

What are my goals? Get more comfortable at levers, learn OAP, build more basis to PL, HBP and PL push-ups.

 

Weight: 70kg(155lbs)

Height: 183cm(6")

Max Bench Press: 85kg (187lbs)

Max Pull-up: 40kg (88 lbs).

 

Haven't tested my weighted dips yet, but IMO I could bang out with 40kg.

 

So, I'm asking you for some critic and comments about my routine and so on.

 

3 days are for weighted training (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) and 2 days are mostly for mobility exercises, flexibility work and some bodyweight exercises practice such as FL, PL, HS press, V-sits (Tuesday, Thursday).

 

Monday - back, biceps:

Warm-up with some bar muscle-ups, ~10min straddle and pike handstand press practice;

Weighted pull-ups 6x6 (3 wide grip, 3 neutral grip);

Standing barbell biceps curls 4x6;

Seated cable rows 4x8;

Hammer curls 4x8;

Lower back extensions (not sure about sets & reps)

Oblique twists.

 

Wednesday - chest, triceps, abs:

Warm-up with PPPs, diamond push-ups;

Bench press 4x8(not sure if I'll really get benefit of this);

Weighted dips 5x5(main thing of todays routine);

Standing cable triceps extensions 3x8;

Overhead extensions 3x8;

Dumbbell flyes 3x8;

Seated chest press 3x6;

Dragon flag work(my primary abs exercise), leg raises, machine crunches(useful or not?).

 

Friday - shoulders, legs:

Warm-up;

Seated dumbbell shoulder press 4x6-8;

One-arm standing dumbbell front lateral raises 3x8;

Dumbbell static holds for planche(thinking about 3x max but dunno if I need it if I'm going to do other exercises besides it);

Barbell raises 4x8;

 

For legs I'll do mainly pistols and extensions. Focus more and calves because they aren't as I want them to be. Seated and standing calf raises, that's it. I think I'll keep ~4x10 scheme and minimum rest for hypertrophy.

Alex Chubb

Based on your goals, the issue isn't needing to add weight training (at least for the upper body) into your routine. If anything, that's another day you could be using toward your actual goals.

The problem is much more likely in your programming of your bodyweight goals. But you won't become better at them by lifting weights.

Martynas Morkūnas

For example, doesn't weighted pull ups help to achieve OAP and FL? The same for weighted dips. People say that they help for HSPU and Planche. And as I said before, I'm looking to build a basis to work from(cannot even do solid tuck planche push-ups -.-)

Alex Chubb

They do, but honestly, the transfer is better the other way. I can nearly do a one arm pull up with hands facing away and I can definitely do them with a supinated grip. I can also do front levers which are easy to the point where I don't work on them. I never trained a single rep of weighted pull ups before this.

I went to PICP to learn about structural balance testing and did a weighted chin up with an extra 100 pounds on me the first try.

Dips are the same. I have an okay straddle planche, ring dips, tuck planche push-ups, ect

My weighted dip was 130 pounds of added weight. That was the first time as well. Very similar happened to the bench press.

None of that was to brag. Especially since they're are gymnast out there who make me look like I don't even train. But it's to show that you should spend your time using the best tools for the job. These weighted exercises aren't the best tools. Why use them instead of using something that will help you gain other abilities AND weighted strength?

What it sounds like you need is a way to build a better base. If you cannot do a solid tuck planche push-up, it's not the right too (at the moment) to build your strength for that. So you go back and use something that you can use more volume for then later, you will probably find tuck planche push-ups are not the beast they once were.

Find those easier progressions and use those to build up your base. On this forum, most of that work is already done for you. Then you will see that these weights aren't such a huge help and are actually pretty easy compared to what you will eventually do.

Martynas Morkūnas

But.. Wouldn't lifts help me break through plateaus?

I can do like 8-10 HSPU, but when I switch to paralettes, I cannot even do a deep one. So I think some full ROM shoulder presses and heavy dips would fix that or at least make me a little bit more confident in it..

Daniel Burnham
Martynas Morkūnas said:

But.. Wouldn't lifts help me break through plateaus?

I can do like 8-10 HSPU, but when I switch to paralettes, I cannot even do a deep one. So I think some full ROM shoulder presses and heavy dips would fix that or at least make me a little bit more confident in it..

I think a better way to break through the plateau is to revist your form.  Generally when I see people who wonder why they cant do a harder variation its because they are cheating themselves on the earlier progression.

 

Ill give you a few pointers for this exercise in general.  Are you keeping elbows in on HeSPU (not flaring to side).  Are you doing stomach to wall HeSPUs?  And lastly and most importantly are you keeping yourself from arching at the bottom or are you allowing a huge arch in the back that results in more pec recruitment than anything else?

ASNB

What everyone else said, and  you can also increase the volume after addressing form issues if any.  

 

The carryover from weights to bodyweight is tricky for a variety of reasons, but primarily because any strength you gain will be offset by gains in mass.  The way to address this is to stick to 1-3 reps and to limit caloric intake, which I wouldn't recommend for a beginner. Another reason is that weight training will train muscle more than joints and it will also make most stiffer in the shoulders regardless of what you do, especially if you do any kind of pressing off of a bench.  This will put you at a higher risk for injuring your joints.

 

This is all based on my own experience.  I was close to a double body weight bench press but I could hardly do an advanced tuck planche.  I was also overhead pressing 225 lbs standing to my chin but could not match that weight in HeSPU against a wall, tho the range was smaller and I was lighter.  In comparison, I haven't lifted regularly for a year but I can still bench 300 for reps just by working advanced tuck, ring dips and HeSPUs.  

 

The nice thing about bodyweight training is that the progress is slow and the risk of injury is much less bc of that and bc you cant vary the resistance without conditioning joints and increasing skill and coordination.  

 

The most important thing tho is that the wear and tear to the joints to get any kind of carry over is not worth it, and I would give back strength for mobility and joint health any day.  If I knew all I know now ten years ago I would have stuck to bodyweight training. I hope you can benefit from my experience.