Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cannot attain a caloric surplus

Ali Dawi

Keilani Gutierrez

i also suggest that you try it with more liquids, like milk or a selfmade shake. the good with that is, after you ate your real meal and you feel filled up to the max, theres always place for liquid stuff ;)

like mentioned before, you can try it with drinking shots of oil, i tried this once, but the taste :o but there are tastier ways to do that1

Toss in some garlic, rosemary maybe basil or jalapeños in your oilve oil container....i've refilled mine around 10 times and it still tastes AMAZING (i think i have garlic, jalapeño and rosemary in mine)

• Upvote 2

Keilani Gutierrez

Don't forget the Leg'O'Lamb for a bit of protein... ;)

never thought about that o_o it wouldnt go rancid right?

Edit: im not sure if i walked into a trap there :P

Bill Köhntopp

i will try haha - in future there will be a thread best recipes for making pure oil as delicious asyour own tongue!

I would add extra food slowly so your body can adjust. Why not try to add some extra bread or rice to each meal. Milk is also easy to add. Also increase your portion sizes.

I think if you add to much too soon you will just gain body fat.

I would not bother with supplements if you cannot your diet right. They are an expensive way to boost your calories.

• Upvote 3

I've noticed that lots of liquid calories tend to make me chubby.  From the little internet research I've done on this, it appears I'm not alone.  So I try to get most of my calories from real food with some liquid calories here and there (mostly post-workout). 

GOMAD will put on mass, but it will be a combination of fat and muscle. 

I'm not an expert, this is just my n=1 observation backed up by other people's n=1 anecdotes. 

• Upvote 1

Daniel Burnham

I've noticed that lots of liquid calories tend to make me chubby.  From the little internet research I've done on this, it appears I'm not alone.  So I try to get most of my calories from real food with some liquid calories here and there (mostly post-workout). 

GOMAD will put on mass, but it will be a combination of fat and muscle. 

I'm not an expert, this is just my n=1 observation backed up by other people's n=1 anecdotes. 

I had the same results.  GOMAD put a great deal of fat on me.  

Philipp Zimmermann

Is GOMAD a good way to gain mass, when you are really skinny?

Maybe you could tell something about your results with GOMAD?

Bill Köhntopp

I think gomad can help you to start, get some weight on you, especially when you're really underweight in the dangerous zone.
But the problem with GOMAD could be, that going back to normal eating habits can be really hard and so much milk is not really the best for your stomach at all, just too much. 

And i heard from everyone i know, with GOMAD you gain a lot of fat. One sided eating/drinking was and is never a good idea, keep that in mind. Don't choose the easiest way, choose the healthiest or at least one you can follow for the more than a few weeks, months.

Philipp Zimmermann

I´m at 65 kg at 187cm so im pretty much underweight and last time my bf% was like <11 % and I did a lot leaner in the lat months.

I just want to get 10 kg on and this could be a good way to start that process and reach my goal and also I just want to do it like 1 months and stop just to test.

I´m curious about the strengh gains that would come with the mass gain too.

Bill Köhntopp

Ok, you are thin, true. See it from the other side, you do not have to eat much more to get some weight, because you are currently not eating a lot, just one peanutbutter-jellytime-bread a day can make a big difference for you. just add one thing a day, do this 2-3 weeks and look what will come with it. you will gain, slow and steady, but its ok. Just for strenght no one is really bulking i think, makes no sense at all. Sounds like your main problem is to start with something. 

But you've got a lot of good advices from all the people here, choose one and you will be fine. don't search for the perfect thing, there ain't.

You can start with cooking everything with a good oil, take butter on every toast, thats enough for the first time, than come back and post your results :) but start!

I´m at 65 kg at 187cm so im pretty much underweight and last time my bf% was like <11 % and I did a lot leaner in the lat months.

I just want to get 10 kg on and this could be a good way to start that process and reach my goal and also I just want to do it like 1 months and stop just to test.

I´m curious about the strengh gains that would come with the mass gain too.

You will gain weight fast with adding 4L of milk a day. That is around 2800 calories, 140g of fat, 140g of protein and 250g of carbs. But you will most likely gain 50% of it as fat if you are lucky. If your bf is 11% now you have around 7kg of fat. Add at least 5kg to that and when you weigh 75kg you will have a bf of 16%. It could be higher. As it is mostly fat gain you will be heavier and will find gymnastics harder. You will then find it hard to lose all that fat without muscle.

I suggest you read all of Joshua's and Coaches posts on nutrition you won't find better advice.

Philipp Zimmermann

Okay thanks for your opinion! =)

Thought it would be easier with more muscles, but its makes sense that it will get harder with that much fat added too...

Okay I will just eat more for now and try to clear up my nutritionhabits.

But I could drink milk to get a few extra calories or?

Like when I just eat 2000 calories for that day and I need 500 more, could I drink milk for that purporse?

A bit like GOMAD just not that extrem, because I have a really hard time getting enough calories with real food but no problem with drinking at all.

Still my first goal is to fix my eating habits so I get enough calories without adding extra milk.

• Upvote 1

Bill Köhntopp

of course you can drink milk, if you like it, drink it. but 2 glasses of milk isn't gomad, thats normal, so, just do it :)

Maybe you add cocoa to that, especially for and after training, you will need the energy and this will be a good start.

• Upvote 1

FREDERIC DUPONT

Last time I was 65Kg was 33 years ago; i was high jumping over 2m then!

I tried GOMAD with the 20 squats protocol 2 years ago and quickly went from 102 to 111Kg.

I gained an awful lot of fat - I was likely close to 30% BF because 6 months later at 104Kg, a DEXA measure came at 26% BF.

Probably GOMAD can work for younger people (late teens or early 20es), but to me it was sort of a disaster!.

Take your time, let your body grow at its own speed, feed it well & it will come.

[i am back to 91Kg now] :)

• Upvote 1

Last time I was 65Kg was 33 years ago; i was high jumping over 2m then!

I tried GOMAD with the 20 squats protocol 2 years ago and quickly went from 102 to 111Kg.

I gained an awful lot of fat - I was likely close to 30% BF because 6 months later at 104Kg, a DEXA measure came at 26% BF.

Probably GOMAD can work for younger people (late teens or early 20es), but to me it was sort of a disaster!.

Take your time, let your body grow at its own speed, feed it well & it will come.

[i am back to 91Kg now] :)

I bet you felt terrible and took a long time to drop the fat.

Okay thanks for your opinion! =)

Thought it would be easier with more muscles, but its makes sense that it will get harder with that much fat added too...

Okay I will just eat more for now and try to clear up my nutritionhabits.

But I could drink milk to get a few extra calories or?

Milk smoothies would be a good start too as liquids are digested faster too (I think). If you're looking for a calorie kick, what I used to do was get a ripe avocado, blend it with milk, algave nectar (can choose honey) and vanilla essence, nice and tasty. Then there's my favourite, milk, peanut butter and banana - do not be grossed out by the mix (like my buds), it is a delicacy in my opinion  ;)

FREDERIC DUPONT

I bet you felt terrible and took a long time to drop the fat.

I actually felt strong and energetic at 111Kg - I knew I was putting on fat, I had no idea how much!

3 weeks after I'd stopped the milk madness, I had dropped 7Kg.

The shock came later with the DEXA results that said I was carrying nearly 28Kg fat at 104Kg; in the meantime I was rather delusional, dismissing two impedance measure tests: the first at 22% because I was convinced that I was under 18%BF, and the second appeared like a joke to me at 32%... in hindsight, the latter was probably the most accurate one!

I was very active, with 4 to 5 kyokushin sessions a week (these are quite the intense sweat fests), some running, weight lifting, etc... In my mind, there was no way I could be over 20% BF! ..............I was wrong!

Long story short: I got the infamous DEXA scan last Oct 17th in the USA, nearly a year ago; I started watching what I was eating on Dec 1st in France, and had lost 3.5 Kg by the time i went back to China early January; in the next 6 months I lost another 9-10Kg - I am now hoovering around or just over 91Kg; the caliper measures have shown a steady decline in BF% and maintenance of lean mass after some early gains (but the values are inside the thickness of the line, so it is hard to say for sure) - last measure was sub 10%, but I don't trust it too much, mostly because it does not account for internal & organ fat. :)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
Michael Washienko

I did GOMAD.  Within my first 5 months of lifting I gained 36 pounds, had a 300lb squat and 2.3x bodyweight deadlift at 15 years old.  GOMAD did exactly as advertised - got me very big and very strong, very quickly.  It also made me permanently lactose intolerant.  I would not recommend GOMAD to anyone.

Learn basic cooking skills and eat like an adult.  I have really screwed up my stomach with many weightlifting diet trends.  The answer has always been sensible eating and listening to your body.

Murray Truelove

I did GOMAD.  Within my first 5 months of lifting I gained 36 pounds, had a 300lb squat and 2.3x bodyweight deadlift at 15 years old.  GOMAD did exactly as advertised - got me very big and very strong, very quickly.  It also made me permanently lactose intolerant.  I would not recommend GOMAD to anyone.

Learn basic cooking skills and eat like an adult.  I have really screwed up my stomach with many weightlifting diet trends.  The answer has always been sensible eating and listening to your body.

I've heard of people becoming intolerant of food that they've consumed vast quantities of (i.e. GOMAD). Can the opposite happen where people become tolerant by including very small amounts in their diet?

Michael Washienko

I've heard of people becoming intolerant of food that they've consumed vast quantities of (i.e. GOMAD). Can the opposite happen where people become tolerant by including very small amounts in their diet?

Yes.  A perfect example is when people eat meat after several years of being vegetarian, they often get sick.  

Well I tried sorting things out with cooking but it is just impossible to get the surplus without a mass gainer.

I had to take a couple of allergy tests because I have had eczema for a while now and it just began appearing on my arms as well. It turns out I am allergic to a lot of things which make it near impossible to get a surplus.

Before I talk about my allergies I have to say that I recently reverted to being a vegan (I was a vegan but then I stopped for a while). So meat is no longer a choice for me.

My allergies come from nuts, dairy, tomatoes and citric food (whenever I eat tomatoes or something citric I develop mouth ulcers).

All the mass gainers I've found until now either contain Whey or are ridiculously expensive because of their "vegan" or "organic" value. I have switched to coconut butter, since I cannot consume dairy, quinoa milk, rice cheese, and those alternatives. But since I am involved in a lot of spiritual practices it is indeed impossible to eat more than two meals a day without feeling disgusted with myself. I can state that I consume at most 1400 calories a day (with the help of dates. I love dates they're delicious but too sugary).

So, here I am once again, with an even bigger dilemma because of my allergies, what do you guys suggest? I am really going to have to rely on a mass gainer but I can't seem to find a proper one.

Also another point, I am 7-10 KG underweight? I weigh around 65 KG and 178 CMs tall, so I'm not sure whether I am underweight or not. But I do have a belly. I think I'm around 15-16% bodyfat.

If you are eating 1400 calories a day there is no way you should have a mass gainer. If you eat two meals a day and low calories your body will hold onto its fat stores and it sounds like you are skinny fat.

Why can you not eat more and still be spiritual?

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.