This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Akrajen's workout log

Started by Justin Rawley, February 18, 2009 · 102 Replies · 9,522 Views

Justin Rawley

Basic strength exercises on the rings (Monday, 16 Feb 2009)

warm up with rubber bands

2 sets 10 reps Bulgarian push-ups q_lTAIgLxtM

2 sets 8,5 reps Bulgarian dips (A little sloppy yet) 3ingSV4Eyzk

2 sets 5,4 reps band-assisted iron cross TDpZ7By4NDA

2 sets 12 reps elevated rows (not shown)

2 sets 8 reps basic pullups qyqu2qYKC28

2 sets 12 reps leg raises on ab power stand

1 set 10 reps wall extentions

Justin Rawley

I have to appologize in advance for the music playing in the second clip. It was blaring over the speakers on XM radio and I think it turned out to be a rather unfortunate song to in be running in the background of this particular video. :oops:

Gregor

It's good to see a woman doing crosses :D

Blairbob

Very cool, I'd say you're a bit short on the ROM for PU but it's because of space. Either try to lean back when pulling up to be more hollow or piked in the hips to allow for full lockout at the bottom...or adjust the rings.

Justin Rawley

Basic Static Strength workout, 18 Feb 2009

(These first entries contain video clips as an initial reference for tracking progress).

small plate and rubber band warm-up

3 static wide pushup support, 40-50-40 seconds

b7tkGa8p1H8

1 Invert pike, 60 seconds. This is my first recording and I was still feeling out my form. It took me a good twenty seconds before I got into the correct position, then it got much more stable.

t8HbdG-x6vs

1 prelude to tuck FL, 42 seconds. Again, my first recording, more of a form check while working into a real FL tuck (I raised the rings up this time to keep from sweeping the ground like I did with the Inverted pike). :wink:

3T-UTbehXgA

2 static wide support, 17-32 seconds. This picture is an exported frame from a video clip because someone walked through the video while it was being shot.

big.jpeg?2009021903240044431703

2 sets hoppers in between static support sets. I really have no idea what this is called; it looks like an inch-worm and is probably a good precursor for developing the "wheel"

Nw45jEK7AZM

1 "cross-check" Occaisionally, I will lower into a partial cross to see where I am with it.

bEnUMXRPwz4

1 pullover

1 set 10 wall extentions, (working ROM, still not all the way on the wall)

Justin Rawley

No training on Tuesday 17 or today, Thursday 19 (12 days until dissertation defense). :!: :shock: :!:

Justin Rawley

20 Feb 2009

Warmup: 12 minutes of easy to moderate StepMill climbing; 8 more minutes of easy climing

4 rounds of:

45 seconds StepMill sprints at (factory default) max speed

70 bw squats

10 ceiling touches (vertical jumps)

Here's the first set:

vLZz2ZtA8cw

I tried to rest no more than a few seconds between exercises

Interset Interval is 2 minutes of easy step climbing (no sitting, standing or slouching)

Cooldown: 10 minutes of easy stepp'n

This is a very loose adaptation of the WOD in reverse (space constraints apply), but quite a bit easier: This workout focuses more on endurance than on explosive power.

Justin Rawley

Easy stretching day and preparation to start new exercise

Warm-up: arm circles, subset of easy exercises from Scott Sonnon's basic Intui-Flow (usual part of my warmup)

Various foam roller mobility exercises and stretches

Preparation to start Pseudo Planche Pushups (PPP)

3 rounds of Downward-Facing Dog to Plank Pose (basic pushup support) to 4-Limbed Staff Pose (similar to bottom part of PPP).

2 sets of wrist push-ups on knees with butt back a bit to take some weight off.

2 sets of wall extensions (arms still a bit off the wall)

Justin Rawley

Hmmmm....scratch planche training for now. I think I heard a hint from Coach Sommer. :lol::mrgreen:

Soooo what next... keep the ring push-ups and dips and otherwise continue only with support and levers, or even ditch the dips?

I LIKE dips. :wink:

I've noticed, however, that most non-gymnast cats who can do the MU (cross-fitters, parkour people, climbers and regular fitness buffs), can't necessarily do a full lever at all.

I'll try to post up a video of a regular support before too long and let people have a look at that to critique.

Saddly... I posted a huge addenda, but it took me so long to write it that my login timed out. When I tried to repost, I was asked to sign in again, which of course meant that all changes were lost.

Justin Rawley

23 Feb 2009

I was feeling tired and not very focused today, so I decided to work on form for shorter duration. I had no stopwatch operator so I was either trying to do it myself or just count, which wasn't very effective. Static holds were ~30 seconds +- a few (except where indicated).

Typical warm-up: 5 minute brisk treadmill walk, static poses and rubber bands.

3 sets basic support. I was working on form and posture here. I noticed that previously I often dropped my head into a "vulture neck" position.

vFNItzO_2ts

(I do glance several times at the stopwatch in this video, but I was consciously working on keeping head up).

2 sets Bulgarian dips; 5,6 reps, trying to avoid head dropping.

2 sets front lever tuck, trying to open up the position a bit more (no idea of the actual time on the second set).

ZkKdujsC4sg

2 sets x 7 front lever rows (to replace elevated BW rows).

7ZFkYjr1yXQ

(This was my first attempt and it wasn't until halfway through the

recorded set that I actually got into position).

Experimented with bar MU on the gravitron.

1 pushup support (~45 seconds)

1 X 10 Bulgarian pushups (feet evelated).

Foam roller mobility stretching at home.

Things to work on:

Good posture and head position throughout all holds and sets.

I found that my agwalks were lame so it came as no surprise when I tried BL that I don't quite have the flexibility to get into the position. I have some remedial exercises for next time.

After Tuesday of next week, I want to start a steady state cycle.

Justin Rawley

Extensive warm-up including 1x10 wrist pushups (from knees)

3 of the following alternating between exercises:

support hold ~ 30-35 seconds

Bulgarian dips x 5

static front tuck lever ~25-30 seconds

front lever rows x 5

3 of the following alternating:

static elevated pushup support ~35-45 seconds

Burgarian pushups x 7

1 x 10 wall extentions

Remedial exercise at home: 2 x 5 "back lever rows" on the TotalGym

(Briefly, the person sits on the sled with hands behind them in a back lever position and brings hands forward to hips or just in front).

1 x 10 more wall extentions

Justin Rawley

Normal warm-up (Normal warmup includes a lot of rubber band work and static poses on the floor and usually some Bodyblade work).

2 x 10 wrist pushups from knees

3 ~15, 15, 10 second 4-limbed staff pose (http://mirtesen.ru/people/182985663/photos/20581642103) in preparation for future PPP. I think I'll include this as a static hold in the main workout and later graduate to the rings with it.

Static holds on rings:

3 support holds for ~40, 37, 38 seconds

3 front lever tuck for ~25, 33, 28 seconds

3 pushup support holds with feet on the Swiss ball for ~30, 30, 54 seconds

(The Swiss ball is quite the task master. It was the first time using it while training on the rings and it took me two tries just to figure out how to stay on the thing. Some-one recently mentioned potential blooper footage while doing ring HS work. I think recording my attempts at this today also would have made some pretty good blooper footage).

Today, Bodyblade work came at the end.

2 x 10 wall extentions

Cardio at home on the StepMill

5 minutes warmup

2.6 miles in 20 minutes

5 minute cool-down

Justin Rawley

Warm-up + 1 x 10 wrist push-ups from knees. These are getting easier. :-)

3 x

7 Bulgarian pushups

5 front lever tuck rows

2 x 3 cross with rubber bands

While this is not my main focus, I don't want it to regress on it either.

3 x

6 Bulgarian dips

6 pull-ups (some with and some without false grip)

1 x (I only realized after the fact that I should have added one more rep to the sets above)

2 Bulgarian dips

2 pull-ups

Gravitron assisted transition phase in the MU. My goal is to be able to put the whole thing together without ever having to kip.

3 x

12 leg raises on the ab power stand

back extentions (15, 20, 20)

Justin Rawley

Improvisation. Today I'm visiting and don't have a place to hang the rings - using various static poses on the floor, rubber band tubing and TRX.

Warm-up

I usually include 5 "archer" push-ups on each side from the knees and sometimes 5 partial archers from the toes (as I did tonight). The latter are getting deeper.

[edit] forgot to mention that my agwalks are getting a bit better than my first attempt.

2 x 10 wrist push-ups from knees

Static poses:

3 x

40 second Side Plank Pose with feet elevated on a chair (40 seconds each side, very slow count)

60 second Plank Pose with feet elevated on a chair

15 second 4-Limbed Staff Pose

4 x 25-30 second partial L-sit between chairs

Rubber band and TRX:

3 x 12 lateral raises each side with rubber-band tubing

1 x 10 easy front chest flies, straight arms using TRX

1 x 10 external rotation using TRX

1 x 12 rubber-band (super heavy duty) lat pull down from a cross position, straight arms

finish with 1 x 3 archers from toes.

foam roller rolling.

Brandon

How do you like the TRX?

Justin Rawley

Darn thing just ate my reply.

The TRX works well when your in the middle of nowhere or can't hang up the rings; you can do a pretty comprehensive set of exercises with it. It can be hung from something like a tree limb or a pull-up bar, or it can anchored by a door when there's nothing else. The only problem with the latter set-up is that you then lose the space just under the device because the door is in the way. I got the military version of the TRX about 1.5 years ago and used to do all kinds of exercises with it, most of which I now do on the rings. If you are in the military and are deployed for long periods of time (or have some other job where you spend long amounts of time in the field), I would say the TRX would be a sufficient stand-alone training tool.

Justin Rawley

Congratulations to all the women on International Women's Day.

I'm posting a day late because I was having trouble viewing/posting on the forum yesterday.

Today, I was in the gymnastics gym.

Standard exercises:

Rope climb (it goes to the ceiling but I don't know exactly how high that is). I managed more of a straddle this time.

2 x 10 body levers with a spot. I do pike a bit on the way up.

Low L-sits on the PB.

1 x 20 situps on the pommel horse with either an 8 or 10 lbs (honestly didn't notice) weight behind the head

1 x 20 arch-ups on the pommel horse with the same weight behind the head.

1 x 8 Bulgarian dips on the rings

4 assisted muscle-ups, working on technique

[edit, I forgot to put this in] Front levers: tuck, and assisted one leg out variants

We tried some back levers too, but it looks like front levers are coming along faster. [end edit]

Modified advanced frog stand (http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1801)

Experimental stuff: new things that I was afraid to try by myself.

I tried all kinds of multiplane pulling on the PB and the rings, none of which could really be catagorized as any particular exercise, but gives me a feel for connecting movements.

Here's a fairly normal pullover set, except I don't lower back down all the way. I think there's a name for that variant.

3K7FrtiMPPo

We did some stuff on the pully rings as well, including cross and what amounts to plain ol' front flies. These are called "Ñамолёты" (airplanes).

04elcga0rIE

He tells me I need to go deeper/lower. I also need to keep my arms straight throughout the movement, (sometimes I cheated a little and bent elbows a tad on the pullout).

Gregor

in gymnastics samaljot's (russian) or airplanes are malteses (swallows)!!!

Blairbob

That pullover is similar to the TOPS pull though we also call these pullup pullovers but those usually include a full pull-up each time. It's sort of a blending of both.

Justin Rawley

Easy day, prelude to getting started back with cardio after an almost 3-week hiatus:

Warm-up walk

7 mile brisk trail walk - great for enjoying the beautiful day we had here.

3x5 SLS (Since this is not my best move yet, I did them off a boat dock and ligtly held on to the pylon at the bottom of the squat for balance and a little extra support).

Cool down walk.

Justin Rawley

Warm up:

The usual, including rubber band work

1 x 5 2.5 lbs. plate external rotations

2 x 10 wrist push-ups from knees -The butt comes forward, bringing more weight onto the hands each time I work these.

static poses

push-up variants, etc.

Core workout:

3 x

- Bulgarian push-ups plus x 7, coming to the top, then out wide to the side (in kind of a partial Maltese).

The last two times I have worked these, the feet have been elevated a little higher than previously.

- FL tuck rows x 5

3 x

- Bulgarian dips x 7

- pull-ups x 7

I decided it was time to start skin the cats in earnest, starting with the front half of the cat.

6, 7, 7 working slow and controlled rotations with straight arms between the 11:00 and 4:30 positions.

A PT showed me a stretch to help attain the back lever. 3 x back lever stretch for ~10 seconds each.

2 x 10 wall extensions

foam rollering

Brandon

I'm really interested to see the stretch the PT showed you for the back lever

Justin Rawley
I'm really interested to see the stretch the PT showed you for the back lever

It's pretty simple, but probably easier to show with a picture than to describe in words. Next time I'll take my camera.

Justin Rawley

Intervals:

Performed on StepMill (I love the StepMill!)

10 minutes easy to moderate climbing

5 rounds of

-3 minutes intense interval

-3 minutes recovery interval

5 minute easy to moderate climbing (4.58 miles covered in the 45 minutes)

3 minutes post recovery

Stretching

These intervals are supposed to be steady state, that is, same speed and time for each one.

These can be deceptive in that the tempo usually feels too easy at first, but the duration of 3 minutes makes it imperative to chose a pace that can be sustained throughout. Recovery intervals can be as easy as need be, but one must keep moving at all times - i.e. no stopping. I had one 41 second water break between intervals 3 and 4 (because I couldn't find my water bottle). I chose level 14 for the interval level, but found myself tiring on the 4th interval and grabbing the rails for part of the duration. Rail riding is strictly forbidden - no touching, so I bumped the last interval back to 13 and did a clean (no rail-riding) interval. I suppose this can be excused because it was my first interval workout since a couple of weeks.

Laney

I like the Stepmill too :D Level 14 is pretty fast for 3 minutes without holding the rails! The other week I did 10 minutes for as many floors as I could get (I hadn't done the stepmill in a LONG time) and I got about 69 floors, I was on level 12 the whole time, and I admit, I rode the rails a bit :oops: Anyhow, I think I like running real stairs outside better. There's a set near my house with 202 steps, they are gnarly. I'm gonna go do them now! It's great to see another woman doing all of this gymnastics strength building!