This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rest between sets

Started by dzzank, September 11, 2013 · 30 Replies · 526 Views

dzzank

So I'm thinking about starting F1. But I am a little confused. How much rest should I have between working sets?

ausswe

None

Jon Douglas

To elaborate slightly-

Strength element + mobility element = one set. Repeat for desired number with no break between elements or set. Feel free to take a bit between different exercise progressions

Riku Calderón
Jon Douglas said:

To elaborate slightly-

Strength element + mobility element = one set. Repeat for desired number with no break between elements or set. Feel free to take a bit between different exercise progressions

How long do you rest between exercises? Do you monitor your heart or something like that?

Christian
RiQC said:

Do you monitor your heart or something like that?

 

 

Still beating? Keep going.

Riku Calderón

:D

FredInChina
Christian said:

Still beating? Keep going.

 

ROFL! That's it! :)

chobbs

Start with where you are at. If you need extra time to complete things properly then take it.  If you start at the very beginning (PE1/week 1 across the board), then just do what you can ... in time the additional rest won't be needed.

 

However, if you overshot where you should be at in regards to a starting point (started at week 9 or didn't test mastery on prior elements), then back off a micro cycle, or even a full exercise, until you can complete things w/o the additional rest. A few minutes between exercises should be all that you need ... shake things off, get some water, warm-up/prepare however you need, then get back to it. :)

 

- Chris

Jon Douglas
Christian said:

Still beating? Keep going.

Pretty much. Long enough to shake it out and walk to the next spot. I try to keep everything as time efficient as possible and eliminate rests-- after all, once Im finished i can laze about as much as i want :) quicker done, quickest finished, move onto the next thing to do :)

Shaolintobbe

Hi!

 

Why not rest more? My philosophy is rest 1-2 min and get more quality out of the work. 

 

But if someone can convince me to take no rest i would be glad, because now i am fluctuating between taking rest and not, or rest on isometric excercise only... 

 

I would truly appreciate some answers to this:)

 

/Shaolintobbe from Sweden

Christian

If your quality suffers from too little rest you should rather think to go back in the cycle or progression rather than taking more rest. At this level we not only develop strength but also capacity. How will you do when you are performing ring routines if you need 2 min rest after 10 push ups?

Shaolintobbe

Thank you for your answer! Now its more to the "no rest" kind of way. 

Shaolintobbe

Also, i dont mean 10 push ups, I am at the 10 week on tuck planche, but i guess its the same thinking there. 

Christian

Just used that as an example. Same thinking untill stated otherwise by coach.

Riku Calderón

Good argument. Thanks!

bigB

I know back to back PE and iM with no rest is the guideline for mastery of an element in F1.

Does it still apply to F2?

 

I've begun . 

 

No rest between sets seems impossible because the iM seems harder than the Skill set and uses many of the same muscle groups.

 

I hold the sPL/SE1 for 5 sets of 30s easily but I can't hold the iM for even 2s. 

 

You'd be balancing on your hands for 3.3 minutes for mastery.

Jon Douglas
bigB said:

I know back to back PE and iM with no rest is the guideline for mastery of an element in F1.

Does it still apply to F2?

 

I've begun . 

 

No rest between sets seems impossible because the iM seems harder than the Skill set and uses many of the same muscle groups.

 

I hold the sPL/SE1 for 5 sets of 30s easily but I can't hold the iM for even 2s. 

 

You'd be balancing on your hands for 3.3 minutes for mastery.

Yes, that is correct :) enjoy it

bigB

It seems I wasn't clear enough in my question.

Rereading the thread it seems it is OK to take a rest between Giant Sets.

 

 

So mastery would be:

sPL/SE1 then the iM then you can rest briefly.

I'm hoping 90s - 180s rest would still be allowed between Giant sets.

Jon Douglas

I repeat.

No, there is no rest between sets. Yes, it is uncomfortable until you adjust.

 

After completing all giant sets of an exercise, it is fine to rest before going onto the next exercise.

 

ie)

5x (30x spl/SE1 + 10 sec spl/SE1>IM)

You may then rest before RC work.

FredInChina
Jon Douglas said:

Yes, that is correct :) enjoy it

 

LOL ---> be kind, will you? :P

bigB

I still don't see how anyone could do that that wasn't a small elite gymnast. (I'm 6'1 225)

Are the feet allowed to touch the ground, or is that considered failure?

I would like to see a video of someone performing all 5 sets with absolutely no rest.

Jon Douglas
FredInChina said:

LOL ---> be kind, will you? :P

I got in before Coach. That IS relatively kind :P

Jon Douglas
bigB said:

I still don't see how anyone could do that that wasn't a small elite gymnast. (I'm 6'1 225)

Are the feet allowed to touch the ground, or is that considered failure?

I would like to see a video of someone performing all 5 sets with absolutely no rest.

I am not an elite gymnast, and am only 5'10", but thank you :)

You are welcome to do the program however you want, however if you want to test and certify you will need to do it with minimal rest

Bro'

If you actually never took rest between sets all the way through F1 and that you did master everything before, you should be used to not taking rest. 

Now, sPL/SE1 does look like a major bottleneck. The iM looks pretty hard indeed, but keep at it. While you're 'stuck' at this SE, your HBP progress will help you with this iM (it's bent arm strength after all). And while you're not supposed to take rest, you're not actually forced to jump from the SE to the iM straight away. Perform the SE, stand up, shake your limbs, take a few breaths then perform the iM. Repeat. If you do that, it's not considered to be 'resting'.

Jon Douglas

Also, reminder that this is the f1 forum. if this discussion is going to continue lets move it to the f2 forum please