This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Another MN/PE2 (straddle up) thread...

Started by ajgregory, September 9, 2013 · 5 Replies · 674 Views

ajgregory

Hey everybody.

 

I realise there are quite a few threads out there where people are looking for help with the straddle up. I think I'm having the same issues as everyone else, but I was just hoping to get a little feedback on my own (dismal) form thus far. I've been performing the movement for about 12 weeks but haven't got very far; trying to stay motivated is somewhat difficult.

 

I attribute my poor performance of the exercise primarily to poor hamstring flexibility (I don't think this is a strength isssue); when sitting in a straddle, I can't get my torso much past perpendicular to the floor while maintaining a straight back. I've been trying to improve this over the last 6 weeks or so (Kit Laughlin stretches) without much success so far.

 

Firstly, I appologise for the low quality of the video; lacking light I'm afraid. It shows two sets of 3 reps:

 

 

 

If I were to critique myself I'd say:

 

- Compression is generally awful, plus upper back rounds to compensate. This is the primary issue I think I need to address

- Momentum is high in a couple of reps

- A couple of the reps are lacking stability when in the 'up' position

- Knees are not locked constantly through a few of the reps (not actually a usual issue, just found hard today for some reason)

 

Is there anything anyone would add to that? Are there any specific suggestions based on my performance of the movement beyond those that have been raised before?

 

For reference, the im is better in comparison. I'm currently using a 20kg kettebell; in the 'down' position my wrists are just below my toes which results in a strong hamstring stretch. This doesn't seem to be carrrying over to straight back flexibility however, which I presume just means my back is compensating when performing the im.

 

I plan to keep repeating microcyle 1 over and over until my flexibility improves enough to perform 3x6 with mastery form. Only then will I progress and attempt to start adding reps. Could take quite some time...

 

Thanks for any feedback

Andy

 

 

Sven Ravnstag

I've found that in addition to flexibility work, a strong posterior pelvic tilt, properly tended glutes, and sitting far enough back of the glutes (all of which go together) improve the height as well. I think that when you do these things, the only limiting factors are compression strength and flexibility. Though still not easy (I can't do a proper v-up yet), this does at least narrow the focus by addressing the biomechanical strategy for accomplishing the movement.

Jon Douglas

Think your list covers most of it... how long have you been on this element? If you're new to it and that's the form you're showing, it'll just be a practise thing IMO.

If not, we worked through a couple people's questions here;

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/10281-mnpe2-straddle-up-question/page-2

 

Might be worth having a look through if you haven't already. Keilani in particular has taken an aggressive approach to fixing his hip mobility issues and seems to be having great success with it, you might find his posts useful.

LateStarter@46

Keep at it - with good form at all times for the ROM you have - it will come.

 

I am at a similar stage and have added in (as well as extra stretching exercises) a two part breakdown of the exercise. The first part involves my straight legs raised in a straddle, resting on a knee high object, then I raise my torso to vertical keeping good form - repeat x15. The second part involves sitting up straight on a mat and raising straddled legs to a 10" high object - trying not to use my arms to assist, repeat x15. The idea of this is to get a feel for where everything should end up.

Keilani Gutierrez
LateStarter@46 said:

Keep at it - with good form at all times for the ROM you have - it will come.

I am at a similar stage and have added in (as well as extra stretching exercises) a two part breakdown of the exercise. The first part involves my straight legs raised in a straddle, resting on a knee high object, then I raise my torso to vertical keeping good form - repeat x15. The second part involves sitting up straight on a mat and raising straddled legs to a 10" high object - trying not to use my arms to assist, repeat x15. The idea of this is to get a feel for where everything should end up.

hey good thinking there!

this sounds like a great idea for a cool down to improve that active flexibility :)

ajgregory

Thanks for the replies guys.

 

Jon, to answer your question, I've been on this element for 15 weeks (I now realise the '12' mentioned in the original post was actually wrong). Form has improved fractionally over that time, which is why I thought I was perhaps missing something specific to my performance that is holding my progress back.

 

I'm familiar with the thread you've linked and am incorporating some of the suggestions. Guess mobility can't be rushed ;)

 

Thanks