This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Trouble with the deck squat.....disappointing

Started by KamLoin, September 6, 2013 · 25 Replies · 813 Views

KamLoin

Hi Guys

 

I am having trouble getting back up from deck squats. I have no idea why I cannot do it, I just flop back down onto the floor.

 

If it is helpful, I can squat "ATG" but my legs have to be kind of wide and my back is near parallel to the floor (which sucks I assume).

 

I have tried everything with the deck squat but no matter what I cannot do it. NOT EVEN ONE REP *sad face*

 

Would anyone be kind enough to offer some tips? I guess it is a matter of flexibility?

Cody Ward

The problem I first had was that I would have to take a step after I got up. I fixed this by waiting until I was in the bottom squat position before coming up. Maybe your problem is sort of the same? Don't even think about coming up to the top, just focus on rolling into the bottom position. 

Also, place your arms in front of your body when you roll forward.

wheezer

I started with the same problem. #1 tip that worked for me is hold a 5lb weight to your chest as you roll back-down, and then extend your arms (and weight) out in front of your chest as you roll front-up. Picture yourself pushing someone right in front of you with the weight. The extra leverage will help you roll your hips over your feet.

Keilani Gutierrez

to help me deepen the position, i held the doorknobs from both sides of my rooms door and lowered down into the lowest squat i could manage with heels to the ground.

 

try posting a video of your flexibility in that position and also post a video of your deck squat, im sure we can get it to happen ^_^

FredInChina

The search function is your friend - there are 127 tips in several threads that will solve your problem in no time. :)

federicoC

My problem initially was similar to what Cody described. Then I realized I was not patient enough to wait until my shoulders pass my hips before getting up. I'll also make a video.

Bipocni

I had to extend my legs when I was on my back and then tuck them in to give me more momentum when I first began this exercise.  After practicing bent hollow rocks for some time now I have eliminated all bad form from my deck squats.

 

Punch forward or swing your arms if you need to to build more momentum to get onto your feet.  Just remember that these tips should only be followed in the beginning and you should be able to complete week 11 without swinging your arms or extending your legs before you progress.

 

Hollow rocks will make this so much easier for you.

Bipocni

Oh, and I keep my feet together but my knees go outwards a bit.  I'd say it is impossible keeping your knees together but wait until you have to do it on one leg...

Jon Douglas

Its def not impossible with knees together :)

Bipocni

You need to keep your knees together during arch holds.

 

And tuck ups.

 

Probably everything else as well.  Just keep your knees actively pressed together for anything that isn't a straddle.

 

A bit more internal rotation with your windmills wouldn't hurt.

 

Your deck squats are actually pretty solid.

 

I'm not even going to comment on your swivel hips.  You know what you need to do.

 

Tell that guy to get off the ab machine and do some hollow rocks.

 

No skiers?

Vincearoo
Bipocni said:

You need to keep your knees together during arch holds.

Coach has said that knees do not need to touch and that it depends on individual structure, if I remember correctly. Feet touch knees don't have to.
Bipocni
Vincearoo said:

Coach has said that knees do not need to touch and that it depends on individual structure, if I remember correctly. Feet touch knees don't have to.

If it depends on individual structure.  Looking at the video, I'd say there's absolutely no reason he couldn't touch his knees together.  If he can do it, he should do it.  Anything that makes it harder, right?

Jon Douglas
Bipocni said:

You need to keep your knees together during arch holds.

Just feet, knees might not be possible depending on your shape. if your knees can, then go ahead, but is not strictly necessary as many people are plain precluded from doing so.

federicoC

Exactly, and I am among them (read my story in my log). I shouldn't tell you how though it has been to come that close for me (as I said, you find info there). I didn't want to "spam" this post, which is about the deck squat. So from what you say they look quite OK. Still to me they do not look as smooth as the sample, but I think in 1-2 weeks I should be there for the 5x15.

Bipocni
federicoC said:

Exactly, and I am among them (read my story in my log). I shouldn't tell you how though it has been to come that close for me (as I said, you find info there). I didn't want to "spam" this post, which is about the deck squat. So from what you say they look quite OK. Still to me they do not look as smooth as the sample, but I think in 1-2 weeks I should be there for the 5x15.

Yeah, my bad.  I just felt like keeping up a running commentary.  I'll go back and organise them all into one post.

 

So if you can't keep your knees together during an arch hold, how about during tuck ups or tables or hollow rocks or deck squats or so on...

Vincearoo
Bipocni said:

If it depends on individual structure. Looking at the video, I'd say there's absolutely no reason he couldn't touch his knees together. If he can do it, he should do it. Anything that makes it harder, right?

Is that the stance? I'm not so sure making things as hard as possible is of the utmost importance. Make due what is needed for 'mastery' and then move on. ABH should definitely be kept in the warm up and one can continually improve upon it as time progresses. I'd assume it's the same thing for the handstand mobility progressions, master with 3kg, put it in your warm up and up the weight periodically.

Bipocni
Vincearoo said:

Is that the stance? I'm not so sure making things as hard as possible is of the utmost importance. Make due what is needed for 'mastery' and then move on. ABH should definitely be kept in the warm up and one can continually improve upon it as time progresses. I'd assume it's the same thing for the handstand mobility progressions, master with 3kg, put it in your warm up and up the weight periodically.

Maybe not to extremes.  Doing windmills with a 10 foot slosh pipe would be pretty hard, but I don't think anyone would get any benefit out of it.

 

The point I was trying to make is that if you can get more out of the exercise, you should.  Haven't we heard that over and over again?  I seem to remember that point being made in chalk talk just a month ago.

 

Personally speaking, pushups the way I did them two years ago and pushups the way I do them now are two completely different exercises.  The fact that I didn't take the time to improve my form on them back then is the reason I still have to do them now...

federicoC

Thanks Bipocni! I'll also copy it in my log so that we can keep the focus on deck squats here!

Bipocni

What I never understood was why F1 starts with deck squats.  There are so many exercises regressed to their very simplest forms (like incline pushups or bent hollow) but standard squats are not addressed at all...

 

Edit: anyone struggling with standard squats might want to try this video

Coach Sommer
Vincearoo said:

Coach has said that knees do not need to touch and that it depends on individual structure, if I remember correctly. Feet touch knees don't have to.

Almost correct. Your knees do not have to touch if you are somewhat bowlegged. Otherwise they should be straight and together.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

ausswe

My knees almost touch when laying down but when I raise them in the arch hold my feet stay together but no matter how hard I try I can't keep my knee ps together.

Bipocni
ausswe said:

My knees almost touch when laying down but when I raise them in the arch hold my feet stay together but no matter how hard I try I can't keep my knee ps together.

It takes a hell of a lot of hamstring strength.  My hamstrings are my limiting factor for arch holds.

ausswe

I have pretty big legs though just laying down on the floor I have to squeeze them hard to get my knees to almost touching