This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090217

Started by Coach Sommer, February 17, 2009 · 20 Replies · 2,658 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD%20-%20090217.jpg

Perform the following:

3 sets of Front Lever Pull - Yewki - MU - XR L-sit - press shoulder stand - XR Bulgarian dip - XR dip - BL - FL

3 x 5 L-sit lifts on the XR

Finish with 2 x 10 Wall Extensions

notes:

1) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the L-sit lifts.

2) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

3) Rest at least 2 minutes between the L-sit lift sets.

4) Progressions for developing the XR shoulder stand are found in the Basic Rings Strength 3 essay.

5) Click for a list of the GB WOD acronyms.

Blairbob

my L sit is slightly lower than parallel on rings. it ain't gonna go any higher.

should I?

- practice L sit to leg lift on PB

or

- tuck sit on rings to L sit

or

- support leg lifts to L

it will be interesting to see what I can do after that ring series.

I will probably do basic HS stuff and swinging before the GB WOD and finish off with 5 sets of DL as per OLAD DL on Tues.

Neal Winkler

Hmmm, I'm not sure if an 8 foot ceiling will allow me to do a MU and a shoulder stand in the same series but we shall see.

Blairbob

Lower the rings and start from sitting in an L or with the legs bent back. Then again, I need about 4 feet of ring strap clearance to do shoulderstand and need to hang them about 3 feet to start in an L hang.

Neal Winkler

Yeah, I do my MU's with knees bent back and hips slightly bent now. Starting in a sitting L may give me just enough space. I'm going to do the WOD now, so....

UPDATE:

Nope, this WOD didn't work out too well given the height of the ceiling. It's about 8' and I'm 5'9".

matthew.percussion

I have the same problem. However I am not doing this exact workout.

I only tried a shoulderstand on my rings at home today... Smashed my feet into the ceiling, which is bad considering I might have broken my toe yesterday...

You might try just going to a shoulderstand with the legs parallel to the ground?

Coach Sommer

Instead of trying to perform the workout in an area that is unsuitable, I recommend simply taking your Xtreme Rings outside and tossing the straps over a tree branch or the local playground equipment.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jason Stein

3X

Front Lever Pull - Yewki - MU (assisted) - XR L-sit - press shoulder stand - XR Bulgarian dip - XR dip - half-lay BL - straddle FL

3x5 XR L-sit lifts @ 5# on ankles

2x10 Wall Extensions

  • [*:357o9igp]Muscle-ups were COOKED due to yesterday's WOD. Transition over to dip was not happening! Sweet.
    [*:357o9igp]My pulling power at ends of ROM of mobility was cooked, but corresponding pushing power seemed greater --- we were using bumper plates to increase depth to full HSPU, and it felt pretty strong.
    [*:357o9igp]Thinking next week might be 50% reduction in volume --- with GB WODs plus my normal daily endeavors, it might be good to get a recovery week.

Neal Winkler

Coach,

I'll remember that when summer time comes. :D

long1468

What weight vest do you use, Coach Sommer?

gymrob

Long1468,

I believe Coach has his students wear the X-vest. Just search on the net for info on them etc. There are numerous different ones avialable.

coachnate
trianglechoke7 said:
Coach,

I'll remember that when summer time comes. :D

:lol: same here - up here in michigan there's still snow on the ground... I did the best I could with what I had (i.e. my house). I video'ed my modifications... I'll try to post them up by thursday. Great WOD though! I forgot how much those wall exts hit your shoulders! Thanks coach!

Brandon

I'm a little bit confused, do you do the "Front Lever Pull - Yewki - MU - XR L-sit - press shoulder stand - XR Bulgarian dip - XR dip - BL - FL" all in one routine without getting off the rings? or do you do 3 sets of X reps each?

Laney

I did Mondays WOD today as yesterday was a rest day for me. Here's what I did compared to as RX'd. I also did another WOD, CrossFit style (running & pushups)...

(In parenthesis is what I did)

Complete four rounds: (Did 3 rounds)

10 Clapping Pull-ups (5 Kipping Pullups with release at top)

10 TOPs Pulls (5 Tucked TOPS Pulls- see video on my blog)

5 360s (5 Skin the Cats)

This workout was super hard for me. I can't do clapping pullups, so I just tried to release at the top. I can't do any sort of straight body lever movements so I tucked for the TOPS, and just did the negative portion. And I tried but couldn't do a tucked 360, so I did skin the cats instead. 3 rounds of 5 reps each. HARD!

Coach Sommer
Brandon said:
do you do the "Front Lever Pull - Yewki - MU - XR L-sit - press shoulder stand - XR Bulgarian dip - XR dip - BL - FL" all in one routine without getting off the rings?

Yes. A ring strength series is a series of movements which are all performed in sequential order within a single turn without getting off of the rings.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Blairbob

3 sets of Front Lever Pull - Yewki - MU - XR L-sit - press shoulder stand - XR Bulgarian dip - XR dip - BL - FL

3 x 5 L-sit lifts on the XR

Finish with 2 x 10 Wall Extensions

Oops. I did the regular dip before Bulgarian dip and 1x10 tuck sit extend to L and 1x10 ring support leg lifts.

I'll do the wall extensions before bed.

Warmed up with some PB swings and SR swings. Finished off with 2x4 of DL per OLAD DL. Was going to do 5 sets but pushed for time to get out of the gym tonight. Weight was 250ish. I was too sapped to try the big heavy beam.

rest times may have been 2-3 minutes for the ring routine. destroyed a bit by the push and pull work I did last night. Back was creaky all day today, popping like crazy and tight.

Stephen Casey

My son and I had to modify it (general tiredness and skill level), but kept it challenging. See it on our workout log. Thanks again, Coach!

Blessings,

Stephen and son

Nobodystopsdblob

3 sets of Front Lever Pull (tucked)- Yewki (tucked) - MU (high pull up low dip, transition) - XR L-sit (5 count) - press shoulder stand (Headstand pushup) - XR Bulgarian dip - XR dip (didn't do, forgot) - BL (advanced tuck 7 count) - FL(advanced tuck 7 count last round particularly ugly)

3 x 5 L-sit lifts on the XR (I barely moved 2 or 3 inches and sometimes dipped farther below parallel than I did above)

Finish with 2 x 10 Wall Extensions

* Front squat - 78% x 3 x 5 225 x 5 245 x 3 (3) (3) (3)

* Snatch pull - 103% (of snatch) x 3 x 3 135 x 3

* Rack jerk - heavy single (skipped)

Laney

Okay, since I can't yet do any of the skills in the ring series, let alone link them all together- here's what I did today based on yesterday's posted WOD (as well as a leg WOD that I missed last week):

Earlier in the day:

3x5 Weighted Jumping Deck Squats (holding DB 10#,12.5#,15#)

3x5 Natural Leg Curl

At gymnastics later:

Stretch

Bucket Circles 4x15 (2 sets each direction) way better than last week!

Hip Circles 2x10

Front Hip Extensions 2x10

Side Hip Extensions 2x10

A few attempts at the shoulder stand in a tucked position

Band Assisted Muscle Up 3x5

Band Assisted Bulgarian Dips 3x5

Ring Dips 3x5

Wall Extensions 2x10

*Very sore from yesterday's workout!

Coach Sommer
I'll remember that when summer time comes.

Back in the 60s & 70s when the Japanese were the undefeated Olympic Champions, in the winter time they used to train in gyms so cold that they could see their breath and it was a necessity to wear gloves during large portions of their workouts. Also don't forget that prior to the 1950s, gymnastics was an outdoor event at the Olympics.

Or you could move to Arizona, it's forecasted to be 75 tomorrow 8).

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Gregor
Coach Sommer said:
I'll remember that when summer time comes.

Back in the 60s & 70s when the Japanese were the undefeated Olympic Champions, in the winter time they used to train in gyms so cold that they could see their breath and it was a necessity to wear gloves during large portions of their workouts. Also don't forget that prior to the 1950s, gymnastics was an outdoor event at the Olympics.

Or you could move to Arizona, it's forecasted to be 75 tomorrow 8).

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

In our gym, sometimes is just 10-12°C and we use glowes, sweaters,...