This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to do the F1 pommel horse exercises without equipment?

Started by Daniel Johnson, September 4, 2013 · 14 Replies · 629 Views

Daniel Johnson

Hello,

I just got to browse through the F1 program and it looked cool.  I'm tempted to try it out.  But, I don't know how I would do these exercises, like the Straddle Running Man.  I looked around this forum but saw nothing about how to work around this.  I'm surprised... I can't be the first person to have this question?  Is access to a pommel horse a requirement for F1?

 

I can see how a person might be able to substitute for the rings and the stall bars, but the pommel horse?

 

Also, I'm tempted to buy H1, but I also wonder if there is equipment in that program which will prevent me from doing it? 

 

Right now, I have access to a typical comercial gym, and a pull up bar at home.

 

Christian

Put some plates to elevate a bench. Lie on a table. It's really just finding something to lie on that's an ok height. I put some step cases on each other.

Keilani Gutierrez

my pommel horse sub is a bench/chair with a yoga mat for padding. i dont do circles or anything like that, btw. only the occasional hip mobility/strength progress check.

per rings, i know Jon used his BJJ belt for the row variations.

stall bars, you can make'm cheap or i remember someone mentioning using their pullup station with their door closed or playground ladders (anything you can hang off of with straight arms and flat back on a surface behind you)

dritar

I use one of those boxes that people use for box jumps for the sPL mobility work.

Michael Taylor

I use a small, waist high chest of drawers (when my wife isn't looking...), but I have subbed in anything from the top of a bin in a park to a padded bench and smith machine bar in a gym.

 

Once you start looking around you and experimenting, you will find something (a hint - if you try to use something like dipping bars for the planche mobility - hips on one and holding onto the other - you will have bruises the next day!!)

 

Ropes and stall bars aren't really needed (unless you start off mighty strong) until you have been doing F1/2 for a good while. By that time, you will succumbed to the program and it won't be an issue :D

 

H1 needs a weighted bar to get you started - a broomstick with something slung over it is fine

m6shifter

GHR w/out the foot pad .

Aadil Siddiqi

I hang off an Ottoman, which gives me just enough elevation. I've also hung off my bed, but gripping it burns my abs.

Reyn

Would putting a bench on and incline work? It wouldn't be flat so it would change the strength curve but would allow you to get the ROM with the legs.

Keilani Gutierrez
Reyn said:

Would putting a bench on and incline work? It wouldn't be flat so it would change the strength curve but would allow you to get the ROM with the legs.

thats the thing for mastery, it has to be level, not inclined
Bipocni

I use a coffee table which is just high enough for the sPL mobility.  No idea what I'm going to use for the hyperextensions in the SL series...

FredInChina
Bipocni said:

I use a coffee table which is just high enough for the sPL mobility.  No idea what I'm going to use for the hyperextensions in the SL series...

 

Put the coffee table on a chair, next to the window, and let your legs hang outside....................... :wacko::icon_twisted:

Bipocni
FredInChina said:

Put the coffee table on a chair, next to the window, and let your legs hang outside....................... :wacko::icon_twisted:

For people living in high-rises this may not be an option.  Unless they are a real gymnast and can land on their feet.  But they'll probably still break every bone in their legs.

FredInChina
Bipocni said:

For people living in high-rises this may not be an option (...)

 

That needed to be said :P

lnick1975

I use my counter tops in my kitchen, when inside. And my kids clubhouse outside. My wife will be so mad at me when I decide never to rid of that clubhouse because I will still need it long after the kids quit using it.