This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 Equipment Alternatives

Started by Naxels, February 4, 2013 · 38 Replies · 2,095 Views

Naxels

Let's all get creative and share all our creative solutions to the equipment problems

we could have in F1:

 

Bench Press Bar -> ?

-broom with side taken off, and maybe add a little weight (for Jefferson curl)

 

Box -> ?

-Bed

-Table

-Solid chair (perfect for iM, however probably not high enough for like Elevated Planche Lean)

-Wooden box (just put on a soft cover)

 

Dumbbell -> ?

-Can of soup

 

Helper person (SL/PE3+4) -> ?

 

Parallel Bars -> ?

-Rings (for Dips)

-2 high chairs (else you have to dip tucked)

 

Pommel horse -> ?

-Table

 

Rings -> ?

Sliding helper -> ?

-put soft socks under your feet

-Furniture sliders

-Frisbee

 

Stall bars -> ?

-door knob

-rings

 

Wrist immobility (my personal challenge for PPP and others) -> ?

-Wrist mobility exercises

-P-barz

Naxels

I'll start:

 

Box:

-Bed, Table

 

Parallel Bars:

-I'm thinking about doing the dips on the rings (put i do know i will need to demonstrate mastery on parallel bars)

 

Pommel horse:

-Table

 

Sliding helper:

-putting soft socks under your feet helps me

 

Wrist immobility:

-Wrist mobility exercises

-I'm considering doing exercises like PPP on the P-barz (knowing again that for mastery the floor is required)

Finnbar

Sliding Helper:

Furniture sliders

Frisbee

FredInChina

Dumbell: Can of soup ;)

Arto

.

Cannister

Arto - Since most barbells weigh ~45 pounds and the exercise was demonstrated using such a weight (and not a dowel) that yes, it is important that you use something approximately ~45 pounds in weight for things like the Jefferson Curl.

gohei_

I use a sportsbag filled with waterbottles when I need to use some weights. It's not rather easy to use but it gets the job done, unless you need something really heavy.

Arto

.

Joshua Slocum
Arto Ratilainen said:

Damn, thats gonna be a tough one then. Can't come up with anything that heavy unless I use a bed, a fridge or smth like that for it, which is close to impossible. Suppose dumbbells won't do it either.

Fill a 5-gallon bucket with water. That will weigh about 40 pounds. 

 

2x 20lb or 25lb dumbells would also work fine. 

Arto

.

adara9

For the helper person, I've had good luck putting heavy weights on my lower legs or wedging them under something. Alternatively, my work gym has a glute-ham-raise apparatus (includes something to wedge your feet under); as I usually work out at home, I came up with the weights idea.

Klaudius Petrulis

An adjustable bench could make a decent pommel horse if the balance is correct.  Mine works well so far, but I haven't done anything too crazy on it yet.

Nautique163

Stall bars .... A ladder strapped to a tree at the top and bottom

Brisgym

As I was looking through F1 I noticed some of the exercises being performed over or on the end of a pommel horse.

 

Would a vaulting box be an acceptable substitute?

Coach Sommer

What piece of equipment you use to perform the exercises on is unimportant; as long as they are performed correctly.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman
Cannister said:

Arto - Since most barbells weigh ~45 pounds and the exercise was demonstrated using such a weight (and not a dowel) that yes, it is important that you use something approximately ~45 pounds in weight for things like the Jefferson Curl.

I do not believe in prescribing weights for day one. Start with something that weighs very little, like a broom, and then add weight until you find something that feels comfortable, but moderately challenging as well. Maybe that's the broom handle at first, who knows?

 

45 lbs may be too much for people at first, so don't focus on weight: Focus on movement. As things get easier over time, you can use more weight.

IcedDante

What are some setups people have been using for things like Hinge rows and Incline Rows? Getting ready to try a chair underneath a doorway now...

kasanya

I attached a set of rings to one of those removable doorway pull-up bars. I understand that's not a recommended arrangement normally, but it seems to work well for exercises like these where the body weight is pulling the bar more securely against the doorframe / wall.

Nautique163

One of those folding walkers make a good and stable dip station. I picked on up at a thrift store for $6.00 .

Can fold up and store under your bed.

Jon Douglas
kasanya said:

I attached a set of rings to one of those removable doorway pull-up bars. I understand that's not a recommended arrangement normally, but it seems to work well for exercises like these where the body weight is pulling the bar more securely against the doorframe / wall.

I do this also for some exercises.

The one I'm most proud of is using a kitchen sink as stall bars for pike and lat stretches :)

FredInChina
Nautique163 said:

One of those folding walkers make a good and stable dip station. I picked on up at a thrift store for $6.00 .

Can fold up and store under your bed.

 

Yes, and you'll find uses for it for a long, long time...  :D :D

Shnordle

I am curious on those alternatives for a stall bar. I can't seem to visualise door knobs, kitchen sinks or rings being used as a substitute.

Jon Douglas
Shnordle said:

I am curious on those alternatives for a stall bar. I can't seem to visualise door knobs, kitchen sinks or rings being used as a substitute.

Hook fingers into sink/door knob and lean for assorted shoulder, lat and pike elements.

Keilani Gutierrez
Shnordle said:

I am curious on those alternatives for a stall bar. I can't seem to visualise door knobs, kitchen sinks or rings being used as a substitute.

open door halfway, grab both doorknobs, lean...just make sure the doorknobs dont spin and fall backwards :P
Arto

.