This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Brandon's 60 Day Experiment Contestant Log

Started by Brandon, February 16, 2009 · 68 Replies · 5,968 Views

Justin Rawley
That really sucks.

In a mighty UGLY kind of way.

Laney

I say skip it, you still graduate and the ceremony is boring anyway! But I guess that also means that people should just vote for me :wink:

Brandon

Day 33

I was such a bum Tuesday through Thursday. My GF and I have been house/dog/cat sitting all week and it has turned out to be pretty time consuming.

Went to Crossfit on Friday

Started with:

3 x 5 Shoulder Press - 95#, 115#, 115#

Cleans from the ground

Pistols

WOD:

Run 400m

21 DB Cleans 35# DBs

21 Box Jumps

15 DB Cleans 35# DBs

15 Box Jumps

9 DB Cleans 35# DBs

9 Box Jumps

Run 400m

For time: 7:44

I did really well and got second out of 12 people or so. The guy who finished first did it in only 6:30. Pretty crazy

Brandon

Day 34

I was very excited to get back to a GB workout tonight. I was working on the rings and stretching in between.

Ring Routine = Support -> Shoulder Stand -> L-sit -> Dip -> L-sit -> Inverted Hang -> Pike - > Inverted Hang -> Tuck Front Lever -> Tuck Back Lever

3 Rounds

jOVAKb6XHMg

Then I decided to practice some Ring Handstands. It took me a few tries to commit to the movement and get the hold, but I feel more comfortable now.

Brandon

Day 35

10 Cast wall walks

Wall Run - 20

10 Bridge wall walks

10 Wrist Pushups from knees with pike

Wall Run - 30

5 PPP on parallets x 3

This was the first time I tried Wall Runs. I really liked the exercise and can see how much strength can be developed from it. First time I tried wrist pushups. I was absolutely terrible at these. It'll be a very long time before I can do these not on my knees.

Brandon

Day 36

Great day at Crossfit Norcal today. This week we're testing our max's in various movements. I only go twice/week so I'll be there for squats and deadlifts.

Today was max squat

45# x 5

135# x 3

155# x 3

185# x 1

205# x 1

215# x 1

I haven't done squats in a while so I checked in my old workout log and my max last August was 195#. I was definitely capable of getting 220 or 225, but we only had 3 attempts.

After the squats we had a WOD:

Cindy (Abbreviated)

5 Pull ups

10 Push ups

15 Squats

Max Rounds in 7 minutes

I got 9 rounds, which I was happy about. The pull ups were no problem and I couldn't really have increased my time with that movement since I was just butterfly kipping. My problem was with the push ups in the later rounds. It's kind of crazy to think about doing 45 pullups, 90 pushups, and 135 squats in only 7 minutes. I love Crossfit!

Blairbob

9 rounds in 7 minutes is a nice pace. It's usually the pushups that I waver in over that workout.

Brandon

Day 37

I'm taking a rest day today because I've gone 3 days straight and tomorrow I need to test my max deadlift. I haven't deadlifted in a while and I think my previous PR was 240, so hopefully I can beat that mark. I can slowly feel the DOMS creepin up from yesterday's workout.

REST DAY

Brandon

Day 38

I decided to hold off the max deadlift until tomorrow because my legs were still pretty sore today. I didn't do too much GB work tonight. Only some L-sits and Tuck Planches on the parallets while watching American Idol :)

Brandon

Day 39

Tested our deadlift 1RM at Crossfit Norcal today.

135 x 5

185 x 1

235 x 1

245 x 1

250 x 1.

I'm at 1.61x bodyweight right now and have a lot of room to improve. Most of the guys in the class could pull 300. Robb Wolf said I was somewhat at a disadvantage because I have a long torso and shorter legs and apparently that combo hurts the deadlift ergonomically.

Afterwards we had a very short WOD

Run 200m

15 Box Jumps

15 KB Swings 35#

Run 200m

Time: 3:07

Justin Rawley

I'm kind of the opposite, short torso, short arms, and long legs. I find that levers are hard for me. When I did Oly-lifting, my max DL was 253 at ~123-125 lbs bw, so you're doing better than I was.

Brandon
akrajen said:
I'm kind of the opposite, short torso, short arms, and long legs. I find that levers are hard for me. When I did Oly-lifting, my max DL was 253 at ~123-125 lbs bw, so you're doing better than I was.

Your deadlift was better than mine and you weigh 25 pounds less so I think you were doing better. Your lift is 2.02x your bodyweight which I think is great.

Brandon

Day 40

We're 2/3 of the way there. Had to take a rest day today to attend to my domestic responsibilities :)

REST DAY

Brandon

Day 41 and 42

REST DAYS

Brandon

Day 43

Morning: 3x10s Tuck Planche on parallets

Crossfit Norcal Today

Started with:

Snatch Practice

Headstand Pushups

Skin the Cats

WOD:

"Jackie"

1000m Row

50 Thrusters 45#

30 Pull ups

Time: 7:26

My row was fairly weak. I made up the time with my thrusters and pullups and was able to finish first. A great workout overall

Brandon

Day 44

Morning:

Tuck Back Lever

3 x 5s

Crossfit Norcal today. I went again today because I'm going to be out of town until Sunday night.

Started with:

3 sets of 2 OHS - 95#

Some Muscle-ups - Found out I can now do a muscle-up without a false grip

Some Snatch Practice

Some Handstand practice

Then the WOD:

1 Arm 35# DB Snatch - 12 reps on each arm

10 Shuttle runs

3 Rounds for time

Not exactly sure what my time was, but it was between 5 and 6 minutes

Blairbob

Nice Jackie time. Mine was around 9m I think in January.

However, my gods say that your DL and BS must go up or they will send Mark Rippetoe to drown you in a trough of milk. Still, your a beanpole. I still reccomend staying small versus getting bigger, especially if you want to be decent at BW ( CF and Gymnastics ).

Brandon
Blairbob said:
Nice Jackie time. Mine was around 9m I think in January.

However, my gods say that your DL and BS must go up or they will send Mark Rippetoe to drown you in a trough of milk. Still, your a beanpole. I still reccomend staying small versus getting bigger, especially if you want to be decent at BW ( CF and Gymnastics ).

hahah yea I completely agree with the DL and BS. I think my BS could be 220 or 225. My deadlift is god awful and its definitely frustrating to see the people who squat less than I do pull over 300 in the DL.

Ortprod

Nice job on everything Brandon, especially keeping up with posting! I would love to see some more videos of your progress if you have the time.