This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Brandon's 60 Day Experiment Contestant Log

Started by Brandon, February 16, 2009 · 68 Replies · 5,968 Views

Brandon

Day 15

Morning:

PPP on rings 3 sets of 5 reps

Evening:

First Day at Crossfit Norcal. The workout was a lot of fun and all the people were great.

We started with some deadlift and dumbbell shoulder press work. Three sets of 5 for each. Then it was the WOD.

As Many Rounds as Possible in 10 minutes:

3 Burpees

6 KB Swings (16kg)

9 Situps

I got 14 rounds. The number of rounds was great compared to other people in the class, but I need to step up the weight on the KB swings next time. I haven't done metcon in a few months, but I felt great doing this workout. I think the strength I've gained from following the Gymnastic Bodies program helped out a lot.

Brandon

Day 16

I have serious DOMS tonight from Crossfit yesterday so I'm taking a rest day. I took some time to focus on stretching and I'm specifically working on developing more flexibility in my straddle.

Laney

THANK YOU for the video help! I'm not the best with computers, but I'm learning! I got nervous about not having videos posted on here after I saw YOUR log... maybe coach will decide he wants 2 winners and we'll both get to go!

Keep training hard :lol:

Brandon

Day 17

Crossfit today.

Started with:

Shoulder Press - 3 sets of 5 - Heaviest weight was 115# I believe

Pistols - 3 sets of 3 on each leg

Working on Clean Form

Working on Forward roll

WOD:

Row 250m, then rest 3 minutes, 3 rounds.

50 seconds

48.5 seconds

49.9 seconds

Finished with hanging on the pullup bar contest above the bar, 33 seconds or so.

I've never really rowed before. It was a real tough. I think I was at a disadvantage because I'm only 5'7 and 9/10ths :)

My biceps were wiped out and I even had soreness in the muscle next to my shin, I'm fairly certain it's called the tibial muscle.

Brandon

Day 18

I performed a ring strength series tonight.

MU --> L-sit --> Support --> Inverted Hang --> Reverse Crank(straddle) --> Crank(Tuck) --> Tick Tock

Three times with a few minutes rest in between each one. I really need more space than my door frame.

7yrwejWT_g8

My straddle back lever is feeling a little bit stronger. I should've gone a little lower with it. While performing the straddle back lever, it felt like I was getting to horizontal and I didn't realize how bad it was until I saw the video. I corrected it on the subsequent sets I think. I forgot the inverted hang part of the tick tock while doing the ring series, so it's basically tuck front lever to tuck back lever a couple times.

After the ring series I performed 3 x 3 Tuck tick tocks

jPlKJm_qiPs

I finished with a HSPU on the parallets and 50 second or so hold. I couldn't do anymore sets because my GF wanted me to watch American Idol with her :)

.

Brandon

Day 19

3 Rounds of:

PPP on Parallets, 6 reps

L-Sit 10 Seconds

Headstand Press

Boxing -> 3minutes

It was a nice quick workout before going out last night. The PPP are feeling stronger. My balance is still terrible on the headstand press. While boxing, my endurance was weaker, but my hooks felt stronger and I'm wondering if the increased shoulder strength from GB is playing a part in that.

Brandon

Day 20

Saw Watchmen and then had to get ready to go out. so...

REST DAY

Brandon

Day 21

We went out last night for a friend's birthday, so I definitely needed a recovery day. Can't wait for Crossfit tomorrow.

REST DAY

Brandon

Day 22

3 Rounds:

Jumping SLS - 5 Reps each leg

2 HSPU + 30 Second Hold

oT6MTsVjILA

10 Second L-Sit to 10 Second Tuck Planche

b0iaJeTORVs

Notes:

1. The Jumping SLS were a lot more difficult than I expected. For some reason Youtube is having issues uploading this video.

2. During my baseline testing I could only get 1 HSPU, now I can get 2 plus a hold afterwards :)

3. My tuck planche has definitely improved since my baseline testing. I was going to post the videos side by side, but I happen to be wearing the exact same clothes so it doesn't look like different days :) I'll wait a couple days and then post the side by side.

Laney

HSPU looks much stronger! Nice!

Brandon

Thank you! I'm definitely excited about seeing some improvement.

Brandon

Day 23

I'm beat! I just got back from Crossfit Norcal. Here's the WOD

We started with:

3x5 Deadlift

3x5 DB Shoulder Press

Candlestick Practice

Snatch balance practice

and then the hard part...


  • Run 400m
    21 KB Swings 55#
    12 Pullups
    Run 400m
    21 Thrusters 95#
    12 Pullups
    Run 400m
    21 KB Swings 55#
    12 Pullups
    For time: 13:49

I was doing fine in the beginning and was the first person back from the second 400m run, but the thrusters killed me. I went from first to fourth by the end of the thrusters. I really need to improve my max back squat in order to to stay competitive. My third 400m was absolutely pitiful. A great workout with great people overall.

Justin Rawley

Wow, sounds absolutely pukariffic. Good Job!

Brandon

haha believe me, I felt pukarific probably about halfway through the thrusters until the end of the workout. What a terrible and great feeling at the same time :)

My DOMS is crazy today and is only going to get worse I imagine

Brandon

Day 24

Too sore to workout today from Crossfit yesterday so I took a rest day. In hindsight I probably should have done some core work since that area feels fine.

REST DAY

Blairbob

Was that Frellin?

Were those a heavy 3x5 DL?

Brandon

It's similar to Frelen. On the Crossfit main site Frelen was:

5 Rounds for time:

Run 800 meters

15 Dumbbell thrusters

15 Pull-ups

I think what I did is a better mix of Fran and Helen since there are some KB Swings in there. I didn't go heavy on the DL because I knew we were doing swings, but at Crossfit Norcal they do a strength element everyday before the WOD and I think people normally do go heavy.

Brandon

Day 25

apparently I'm on a 2 days on 2 days off schedule.

REST DAY

Brandon

Day 26

Crossfit Norcal Day

Started with:

Power Clean and Jerks - A few sets with 65 and then a few sets with 115.

The WOD:

7 Hanging Cleans 95#

Lunges 30m

Sprint back to Olympic bar

Max Rounds in 7 minutes, I got 9 rounds.

My forearms were completely dead after this workout. Afterward, I went and messed around with the rings they had since they are hung up high. I was able to get a straddle back lever fairly easily so I tried a full back lever and was able to hold it for a few seconds, which is pretty exciting :D especially after working out.

Justin Rawley

good job on the BL

Brandon

Day 27

Went out Friday night because some friends were visiting and it was another friend's bday. Definitely a recovery day today.

REST DAY

Brandon

Day 28

I really hate two rest days in a row. Life just sort of got in the way today. I can't wait to hit it hard tomorrow at Crossfit and then some GB on Tuesday.

REST DAY

Brandon

Day 29

Crossfit Norcal Today

Started with:

Snatch Practice

Weighted Pullups 3x5 with 25#

Overhead Squats 3x5 with 45-65#

WOD:

50 Supermans

50 Situps

50 Double Unders

2 Rounds for time. Not sure what I got, but I finished 3rd out of 8 people or so. I really need to work on Double Unders to get the rhythm down.

Afterward, I played around on their rings for a little bit. It's pretty fun to try stuff on rings that are hung up high in the air. It's a lot different than the rings mounted on my door frame :wink:

Tomorrow is Day 30. I think I should probably do some testing since the whole point of this thing was to see how far I could progress in 60 days.

Brandon

Day 30

Well, I was consistent in the beginning. Lately my training time has been really suffering. I seem to run out of time in the evening, so I'm considering getting up earlier and training in the morning.

REST DAY

Brandon

So I just found out the weekend of the GB Seminar, May 23-24th, is also the weekend of my college graduation ceremonies. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! That really sucks.