Hi,
I am a 29 years old male, 170 cm, 68 kg, has been always fascinated by gymnastics but unfortunately never had the chance to seriously perform it.
In the past 10 years, i have been lightly exercising on my own, doing only calisthenics. I'd exercise 2 or 3 times a week, with various forms of pull ups, push ups and sit ups, and as for legs i only jog, and do some stretches, and back bridge.
I have been always light and fast. I learned to do very basic moves on my own like the flip up from the ground, and the forward flip (although it looks clumsy).
My fitness has always been average but always not enough for gymnastics. My arms can carry me easily in a hand stand, and i can press 20 times with my legs on the wall, but i can NEVER balance myself in a hand stand. I cannot at ALL do something like the planche push up, or getting down to a bridge from standing position without a wall or coming back up without a wall. It's like i don't have the muscles for that? I don't fin a certain muscle that when i contract it, it helps me even in my quest, no: nothing!
To wrap it up, the usual calisthenic routines, i can do without problems, and in great numbers, too, but i can't even do some of these mentioned positions? I kinda feel there is a missing link? No matter how i train in the usual calisthenic works, i have a problem with gymnastics foundations?
I recently started doing the P90X program, and i am doing it for the second time these days.
Now where am i standing now? What should i do? Were my calisthenic routines deffective and i need huge numbers to be efficient? Are there a series of physical tests to do to know what every part of my body is capable of? Am i overestimating myself? I really don't know!
Thank you very much.