Posture

Started by Shnordle, August 26, 2013 · 11 Replies · 2,796 Views

Shnordle

After years of studying and a few years left I am beginning to worry about my posture. Especially my lower back which seems to be losing its S shape. Anyone have tips/ideas to turn this around?

William

losing it's s-shape? i just know people(like me), who have too much s-shape, means hollow back with a bigger arch at the lower back.
is it that?

if so, i suggest, that train your abs more could be good and stretching lower back. i'm training my abs more since 2 weeks, and my lower back feels a bit better, the hollow back position should work good for this, too???

Coach Sommer

As other students have already noted, the integrated mobility in the Foundation and Handstand courses have a tremendously positive effect on posture.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

ZRX38

A lot of people recommend deadlifts 

Shnordle

Sounds like I am getting the opposite effect to you William! 

Coach, I have experienced a difference since starting Foundation 1. I will be getting H1 as soon as I get the funds. I am hoping the program will reverse the issue. 

ZRX38, I have had bad experiences with deadlifts which is one of the main reasons I moved to bodyweight exercises.

William

maybe you could post an image with your normal body position?!

ZRX38
Shnordle said:

Sounds like I am getting the opposite effect to you William! 

Coach, I have experienced a difference since starting Foundation 1. I will be getting H1 as soon as I get the funds. I am hoping the program will reverse the issue. 

ZRX38, I have had bad experiences with deadlifts which is one of the main reasons I moved to bodyweight exercises.

Thats okay, i hope you find what you are looking for then!

swhitley

Recently I've been stretching my front hip flexors (the one's that pull your hips into bad alignment) daily, quads, calves, priformis etc and pnf stretching them all twice a week. Also been doing glutes strengthening exercises and partial one Leg squats to strengthen the vmo. I've been doing this as rehab for patella tendonitis but my posture is also improving nicely, probably due to that hip stretch. Chapter two in kit laughlins book stretching and flexibility has some intense stretches for the shoulders for helping fix slouching students shoulders. I haven't been working these enough yet to comment on effectiveness

Shnordle
William said:

maybe you could post an image with your normal body position?!

Not a bad idea. I'll get something up by the end of the week.

Shnordle
swhitley said:

Recently I've been stretching my front hip flexors (the one's that pull your hips into bad alignment) daily, quads, calves, priformis etc and pnf stretching them all twice a week. Also been doing glutes strengthening exercises and partial one Leg squats to strengthen the vmo. I've been doing this as rehab for patella tendonitis but my posture is also improving nicely, probably due to that hip stretch. Chapter two in kit laughlins book stretching and flexibility has some intense stretches for the shoulders for helping fix slouching students shoulders. I haven't been working these enough yet to comment on effectiveness

That sounds promising. First I have heard of this book. Could you toss me a link?  :)

swhitley

I'm on my phone at the moment so searching the internet is awkward, but if you google 'kit laughlin stretching and flexibility' his website should be the first link. Alternatively you can search amazon for a second hand copy for cheaper, but you won't get the DVD suppliment

Hercules

swhiteley that's what I've done - got a second hand copy off amazon and am going to get the DVD within the next few days. 

 

Following Stretching & Flexibility + Foundation (out of H1 and several elements of F1 due to injury) is definitely making me a lot more mobile and my posture became a lot better.