Getting started but have issues with shoulder surgery!

Started by LasersPewPew, August 23, 2013 · 8 Replies · 2,922 Views

LasersPewPew

Hey there everyone!

 

Long story short, I had labrum repair surgery in my left shoulder approximately 10 months ago. Before discovering GST about a month ago, I was back in my Crossfit gym doing WODs. It was going pretty well, with the exception of overhead squats/snatches being difficult due to lack of range of motion.

 

I started trying to program bodyweight workouts for myself before I found F1, and was doing 2 pulling/2 pushing bodyweight exercises 3 to 4 times a week. This really made my rear shoulder/upper tricep angry with me on a consistent basis, and then I found F1.

 

So far, it is less taxing on my shoulder than the programming I had made up for myself, but I am not sure how to approach progression since my shoulder still has some mobility issues. For instance, I can complete the mastery for pushups, but the Xiaopeng forward (mobility for pushups) really gives my left shoulder difficulty. It isn't necessarily a lack of strength, but more of a sharp pain when trying to maintain proper form.

 

I know the obvious answer is to stop doing it since I'm experiencing pain. However, I still want to progress. Has anyone else had to work through lack of mobility due to surgery before? If so, how did you overcome it?

 

I really appreciate any response! Thanks!

Joshua Naterman

You probably have bad technique, even though it may look like good form from all appearances.

 

While the word "form" refers specifically to what you can see in terms of a movement pattern, technique includes things you can't see, such as spreading the floor when squatting. You can't SEE it, but you can feel it when you do it.

 

I mention that because I think you may be experiencing the equivalent of not stretching the floor. You probably need some muscles to be active that are not active, and that lack of activation (or coordination, could be either or both) can cause pain by allowing bad movement.

 

I know this, because I have to pay attention to it myself. I can do slow Xiaopengs with 25 lbs, no problem, but even 10 lbs can hurt if I am not paying attention or having difficulty making the shoulder work correctly. For me, the first rep is the most likely bad one (meaning that I can tell it will hurt if I continue, so I just stop and reset), because I have not yet locked in my shoulder. Usually I don't need more than a few seconds to lock it all in, but sometimes it can take a few tries. That is very rare for me these days, but I do have the occasional bad day.

 

My best advice to you is to learn how to feel tension in all of the shoulder girdle at the same time. Delts, external rotators, internal rotators, chest, lats, traps, serratus, etc. Not to the point where you can't move, just enough tension to let you know they are there. I use the word "tension" because it is easier to understand than "sensation" and also a little more accurate, but you need an active connection to them all. Not as individual muscles, but as a group that works together. You may have to add them in one or two at a time at first, but before long you will get used to this and it will be easy to control the shoulder.

Joshua Naterman

You also need to feel tension down the entire arm. Again, it's not necessarily a lot, but it makes a noticeable difference. If muscles are inactive you can learn to feel that, as if they are kind of a blank spot in the web of tension. Learn where these are on you, and learn how to "fill them in" with the tension.

 

It is not as hard as it sounds, trust me. 

LasersPewPew

Thank you very much for the feedback Joshua.

You're description was great and I totally understand what you're trying to say.

I will definitely try to engage my entire shoulder girdle next time I do Xiaopengs!

Rafa

Hey Lasers and joshua, I am thinking of purchasing foundtion one myself. I am currently in physical therapy for my left shoulder SLAP (labrum repair). Has Joshua's advice helped you progress or are you still siffering from niggling pains and lack of movement.

 

How was your recovery towards doing pushups and pullups after the surgery?

 

Thanks for you time,

 

Rafa

LasersPewPew

Hey Rafa,

 

Sounds like you're going to have to deal with pretty much the same thing I did.

 

I am currently 1 year, 3 months post op on my left shoulder. I'd say it's maybe 90% of what I want it to be in terms of recovery. It still has minor twinges of pain here and there, but nothing that will completely prevent you from following the foundation program.

 

I have found that my mobility on my surgery side shoulder definitely requires more attention. If I'm warming up I really have to make sure my left shoulder is sufficiently warm before starting my exercises.

 

So, to answer your question, I am fine doing pushups and pullups now. It's the more flexibility/mobility portions of the foundation series that give me the most trouble when it comes to my shoulder.

 

I think you should go ahead and purchase. Don't give yourself any excuses. How long ago did you have your surgery?

Rafa

I had it may of 2012. But i did therapy down in my hometown for a month and then went back up to university. Switced therapists obviously and there i suffered a pretty severly strained lat. I left that therapy place, found a good one and finally started weight lifting january of 2013 but injured myself in april. Stopped working out which was a mistake and im back at square 1.5, a year later. I am very intrigued by body weight training because i feel that is the best way. Its just that im going to have to start very lightly after i finish therapy. What are your thouhts, do you think it would be better if i lift until i can reach a decent weight on bench press and fly's and dumbell shoulder pressing before attempting this program?

 

thanks for the reply. I honestly have a lot of questions so whenever you have some time please inbox me if you wouldnt mind!

 

yes that strain has broughtmany movement issues my way :/

 

its great to here that you are at 90% most athetes that i know say that they are never truely the same. But i believe if you work hard enough that it will be eventually.

Rafa

Was wondering how far along on foundation one you are? Where did it take you in terms of strength and all that jazz?

 

thanks for you time man,

 

Rafa

Ravn

I had labrum repair back in 2007, and I feel strong and fit now, and am pain free. Some things will always be difficult, however. Shoulder dislocates, L-sit russian dips and L-sit wide grip pullups all aggravate the shoulder. I've written about this before, check some of my old posts, if you are interested.