Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

King of the Forum: Who Can Take Down Nigel?

Scott Malin

ADRIANO FLORES CANO

Well done Niklas, it's awesome how the arms start to dislocate with that narrow. 

The KoF start to be really interesting :D

Not even worth putting a video of my 123cm with 2.5kg. Plenty of work to do after watching these videos.

• Upvote 1

David McManamon

I don't o

Damn, I need to find some.more weights...

Me too, I own a 4 ft steel pipe but no weights or gym membership.  My starting video will be up next week, I'm curious.

I don't o

Me too, I own a 4 ft steel pipe but no weights or gym membership.  My starting video will be up next week, I'm curious.

Small aside, up until (and after) I tried weights at the seminar I have been training these with only 8 kg in ankle weights hung over a bar (as per my first submission here). So yknow, (carefully) getting out of your comfort zone every so often is a good thing.

Keilani Gutierrez

Small aside, up until (and after) I tried weights at the seminar I have been training these with only 8 kg in ankle weights hung over a bar (as per my first submission here). So yknow, (carefully) getting out of your comfort zone every so often is a good thing.

seriously, are you an octopus? :P

• Upvote 1

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

In Alex’s words: “My turn nowâ€. 10 kg with hands 105 cm apart. Shoulder width is 55 cm. 

Please note that my mobility is not symmetrical and probably never will be. Also, if degree of dislocate is really, together with weight, the measure that will decide the eventual winner, then more information is needed. Hand width also depends on wing span (fingertip to finger tip) and is not an objective measure. Wing span depends on height. In my case, my wing span is 191 cm while I am 184 cm tall. So my 105 cm compares well with 91 cm of someone who has a wingspan of 165 cm and has 55 cm shoulder width. If his shoulder width is less, then his degree of dislocate is less than mine. 

The best measure is probably the angle between the horizontal (bar or dowel) and the inside part of the straight arm. A pretty good first approximation of that angle can be obtained from 1] the length of the straight arm (AL) between the dowel (gripped with closed hand) and the armpit (at the point that is stable when the arm rotates up and down), divided into 2] half of the distance obtained by subtracting the distance between the two armpits (measured at see above)  from the distance between the two inside points where the hands grip the dowel with straight arms  (DL).  DL/AL is the sinus of the angle we are interested in.  Sounds complicated, but it is pretty simple.

Edit by FritsMB: DL/AL is the sinus (not the cosinus) of the angle we are interested in.

• Upvote 3

FritsMB, shouldn't that actually be "...half of the distance between the two points where the hands grip the dowel (with straight arms) minus half the distance between the two armpits..."? ;) I presume you also mean AL when you quote DL/HL?

While this approach would no doubt be more accurate, trying to show all the required measurements in a video is going to be fairly clumsy, taking a degree of fun out of the challenge imo :)  Perhaps I'm biased though, having only a shoulder width of about 50cm, a height of 170cm and a wingspan of roughly 180cm :P

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

FritsMB, shouldn't that actually be "...half of the distance between the two points where the hands grip the dowel (with straight arms) minus half the distance between the two armpits..."? ;) I presume you also mean AL when you quote DL/HL?

While this approach would no doubt be more accurate, trying to show all the required measurements in a video is going to be fairly clumsy, taking a degree of fun out of the challenge imo :)  Perhaps I'm biased though, having only a shoulder width of about 50cm, a height of 170cm and a wingspan of roughly 180cm :P

You are right. Thanks for pointing it out to me. I made some changes so it is less ambiguous (“now let me see, do I first subtract before I divide or do I first divide before I subtract.....?â€). I don’t think you need to show anything more than you already do in your video. At least, so far, everybody has just stated that his hands are xxx cm or yyy inches apart and his shoulder width is such and so. Only form and kg/lbs used are carefully shown in the video. 

More fun!!?? Man, this is not about fun. It is about how you can decide who is doing better. Of course you can and should have fun while trying. In my opinion however, right now, one of the measures (i.e. hand width) that is used to decide who is doing better is flawed. Anyhow, you may have noticed that I did not put in my measurements. I first wanted to see how my suggestion would be received.

FREDERIC DUPONT

Good effort FritsMB, very nice dislocate. :)

Because the hand placement (distance between hands) is just a proxy for the upper arm angle with the line of the shoulders, if we are going to measure angles, we should measure that one and get done with hand placement.

However (1), because it is not going to happen for technical reasons, and also because I very much doubt coach would bother with that, this is really a vain exercise.

However (2), if you have a 2T car and I have a 1T one, you cannot claim that it is unfair that you could not avoid an accident when I did... You still need to be able to stop your car, even if it is heavier, because if you are not, then you die. :)

Back to training.

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

Hey FredinChina. I knew I could count on you.

Good effort FritsMB, very nice dislocate. :)

Thank you. And, did you notice all that sand?

Because the hand placement (distance between hands) is just a proxy for the upper arm angle with the line of the shoulders, if we are going to measure angles, we should measure that one and get done with hand placement.

However (1), because it is not going to happen for technical reasons, and also because I very much doubt coach would bother with that, this is really a vain exercise.

That is very much what I expected. I couldn’t resist, though, to give it a try. Call it low hanging fruit..... And, to be clear, I will not loose a second of sleep about it if my advise is ignored. I also still enjoy watching the Tour de France even if I know now that what I am watching  may not be such a fair contest; the human drama is still there. Of course, now that the rules of this contest have been better defined, I do feel free to get some help from a famous Spanish doctor. :) 

However (2), if you have a 2T car and I have a 1T one, you cannot claim that it is unfair that you could not avoid an accident when I did... You still need to be able to stop your car, even if it is heavier, because if you are not, then you die. :)

A koan? You mean, I shouldn’t pick on the shorter GB Forum members (with shorter arms) here? Why do you think I like this Forum so much? Right, you got it. One of the pleasures of my GST life. :)

Back to training.

Please read this too: I have noticed on previous occasions that my sense of humor is not always understood here. I just like making fun of something that other people take (imo too) seriously. I have tried to make that clear by using some smileys. But if you still feel uncomfortable and think “this guy is making fun of meâ€, just let it slide by. He may be, but it is not meant to be personal. 

• Upvote 3

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...)  my sense of humor is not always understood (...)

Seriously?

Gymnastics is a serious endeavor FritzMB, we will not repeat this warning! :P

[edit] I ran out of ammo to 'like" your post.

Second entry. First one is 10 lbs with about 75cm between my hands, and second one is unweighted with 55 cm between my hands. Amazing how much more flexible you can get in a few weeks. 2x shoulder width used to be somewhat difficult for me...