This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Can't read the acronyms

Started by rahukala, August 18, 2013 · 61 Replies · 1,261 Views

MvdB
Vincearoo said:

To be frank, I may take heat for this, this program is spoon fed to you as it is. All the progressions are laid out, reps, sets, times, and holds. The names and acronyms are listed within the program and its simply asking one to remember them. If one cannot even take a few moments of their time to memorize a few names then I doubt their intention on completing the course.

I agree 100%. Sorry guys, but it's not like you need a PhD to decipher this course. Neither does it require previous experience or being part of the 'incrowd'.

Murray Truelove

Not sure if it helps but you don't need to know what the acronym mean to do the work out.

For the first 3 months I didn't know what the acronyms stood for but I knew I was doing FL sPL HBP and RC on Monday. I often forgot the name of the movements but I've seen the videos so know what I have to do. After a while (you're doing the same exercises for 12 weeks!) You'll know what everything means.

I started before the scheduler came out so just wrote out my workouts. First few times I had to go back to F1 to see if I was doing it right but it was plug and play for me from the start.

Ravn

I agree with the critics that the program is not plug and play, in the sense that you cannot just buy it and immediately start working out. Unless you 'get' the whole gist of it, where it is heading, what the thoughts behind the structure are, it probably will seem quite confusing. Yes, a certain amount of reading up on and getting acquainted with the methodology is required, and perhaps this has not been evident in the marketing. It no doubt helps to have hung around on the forums for a while, and having read BtGB (sorry, acronym for 'Building the Gymnastic Body, Coach Sommer's first book') prior to commencing F1; So in that sense I think the critique is quite valid, and should be taken seriously.

On the other hand, perhaps using this course material is really more akin to taking university courses (which is not for everyone either, obviously), where you are required to take initiative by yourself: being handed a stack of books does not ensure graduation by itself; There's a long proces involved of reading, interpreting, understanding, raising criticism, asking questions, solving problems etc. That's really the mindset required for this course, and if that mindset can't be mustered (and I can think of a host of good reasons why this would be the case), then maybe this course really isn't for you? That IS a possibility.

P5yx
Ravn said:

On the other hand, perhaps using this course material is really more akin to taking university courses (which is not for everyone either, obviously), where you are required to take initiative by yourself: being handed a stack of books does not ensure graduation by itself; There's a long proces involved of reading, interpreting, understanding, raising criticism, asking questions, solving problems etc. That's really the mindset required for this course, and if that mindset can't be mustered (and I can think of a host of good reasons why this would be the case), then maybe this course really isn't for you? That IS a possibility.

 

if this course material would be anyhow more like an university course i would be more than cheerful ;) .

 

gst is not only bodytraining. at least not for me. it is also an education in knowledge regarding the movements as well as background knowledge about programming and so on...

this of course takes alot of time aside from the pure training.

but why else coach wants us to know every single detail about the movements?

for me gst is full commitment. whenever i have time i try to figure out new things to become better.

of course i understand not everyone wants/can  spent that much time on gst.

btgb as well as foundation are strongly connected to this forum. the manual has some wholes that's  right. but for these

just use the forum to ask specific questions.

 

rizqasim1 said:

I read the "your first workout" section and feel like pulling my teeth out because it says "your first workout will be PE1 with a PE1 IM in week 11" - What has my week 1 got to do with my week 11? I'm just struggling to piece this together so forgive me.

 

 

That is a perfect example from what i ment. You've purchased a product, a manual which should be read.

You read a section and ask why you don't get the concept? Did you consider to read the whole manual before starting your first workout?

 

 

rizqasim1 said:

>I've just clicked workout configuration

>>Given that I am a novice who wants to start out properly I'm going to go ahead an PE1 for all 7 postures.

>>>And yes, it'll be my week 1. So, I've selected Week 1 for all 7 seven postures.

 

>Ok, so now I'll retrieve my workout.

>>Wow - All printed out for me. Clever.

>>>Monday looks busy. Can't wait.

 

This is what I expect to do on Monday.

 

FL/PE1: 3x12s [That's 12 seconds of BHBH right?]

5r FL/PE1-iM after each work set [immediately after my first set I do 5 reps of....one moment...CAT COWS!]

 

Then I repeat the above 3 times with NO REST?

 

Then again, I move on to the next exercise. Can't I have a rest between exercises? If so, how long?

 

 

You can have a short break wich isn't exactly specified. anything up to 5 minutes should be fine.

 

rizqasim1 said:

SPL/PE1: 3x3r [This means I do 3 reps of this. The video is not clear. Is this like a press up?]

5r SPL/PE1-iM after each work set [immediately after my first set I do 5 reps of...hold on let me find it...SWIVEL HIPS!]

 

Then I repeat the above 3 times with NO REST?

 

 

sPL/PE1's main idea is to work on scapular protraction and retraction. you should see that the main movement comes from his scaps. i don't know why you see a press there. the movement has some extra questions which you cannot find out

from the video. for example keeping the body as hollow as possible and there for minimize arching. once again for questions like this use the forum. and yes no rest between PE/SE and iM. never... as the manual tells you.

 

 

rizqasim1 said:

HBP/PE1:3x3r [That's 3 reps of incline push ups. Can I do this off a chair?]

10r HBP/PE1-iM after each work set [immediately after the above, I do my 10 reps of German Arm Swings. It looks like our chap did 5, so I'm guessing 1 rep means swinging two arms??]

 

yes you can use anything in hip height for the incline pushups. the 10 reps german arm swings are total, so 5 on each side.

 

 

rizqasim1 said:

RC/PE1:3x3r [That's 3 reps of Hinge row...]

30s RC/PE1-iM after each work set [immediately after the Hinge Row I do 30 seconds of Upright Lat Leans]

 

And that's Monday right? If that's correct then I'm euphoric right now. I can see why this is a very complex work out to architect so well done that Sommers man.

 

yes that's all for monday...

 

 

rizqasim1 said:

Now for my biggest challenge!

 

I don't have rings or facilities to do this at home nor can I install them as I live out of hotels. I do however have a local gym... so can I improvise?

 

That's a little tougher. i would just buy some rings and use some playgrounds to attach them.

 

hope i could help

Jon Douglas

rizqasim1--

Scap shrugs are essentially a press-up entirely from the shoulders, so arms don't move and stay locked the whole time.

 

For all the Americans who think that 'push up' is the only name for this movement.... :P

P5yx
Charm said:

rizqasim1--

Scap shrugs are essentially a press-up entirely from the shoulders, so arms don't move and stay locked the whole time.

 

For all the Americans who think that 'push up' is the only name for this movement.... :P

ok seems legit. i always refered press ups for movements like handstand presses, planche presses, ...

though for pressing movements with straight arms.

Jon Douglas
P5yx said:

ok seems legit. i always refered press ups for movements like handstand presses, planche presses, ...

though for pressing movements with straight arms.

Just a different naming issue :)

I never heard the term 'pullup' until I read more (generally American) fitness sites later in life, for another example. Anytime anyone said it, they were chinups.

 

 

Edit;

Also @rizqasim1-- you can totally improvise for rings (I'm assuming you mean for the RC progressions) as long as your approach prohibits cheating. So no elastic-type ropes for eg. When Foundation came out it was the dregs of winter here in Canada so I was rowing and rowing and rowing with my BJJ belt over a doorway pullup bar-- too cold to train outside first thing, even though I have rings. I think it gave me a leg up on grip training :)

 

Edit edit;

Must say great choice of program for hotel-hopping, provided your improvisation skills are up to snuff!

Arto

.

Michael Borregaard
Charm said:

Just a different naming issue :)

I never heard the term 'pullup' until I read more (generally American) fitness sites later in life, for another example. Anytime anyone said it, they were chinups.

 

In BtGB, chinups refers to an underhand grip, pull-ups to an overhand grip.

P5yx
Michael Borregaard said:

In BtGB, chinups refers to an underhand grip, pull-ups to an overhand grip.

i guess he knows that... ;) . He ment that in his country only the term chinups were used. probably chinups with pronated or suspinated grip.

Jon Douglas
P5yx said:

i guess he knows that... ;) . He ment that in his country only the term chinups were used. probably chinups with pronated or suspinated grip.

Yes to both, but the gesture is appreciated :)

Riz Q

Thank you all for your help!