This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Can't read the acronyms

Started by rahukala, August 18, 2013 · 61 Replies · 1,261 Views

rahukala

Any strategies for reading the acronyms? I can't.

I really don't know what I'm supposed to do for week one, in plain language.

P5yx

hm don't really understand the question. Can you explain your problem a little further?

MvdB

Rahukala - if you go to the table of contents for a movement, for example rope climbs, there is a list of codes (like RC/PE1) with the name of the corresponding exercise right next to it. Does that help?

Hercules

Could you be more specific?

 

Is it not something that simply reading the text again cover to cover will solve?

Jon Douglas

Do you mean for the workout planner?

Honestly, this is one reason I don't use it, but you should be able to pretty quickly cross-check them wih the course itself until you remember them

rahukala

@Charm: Thanks.

@ Herc: What text?

@ Michael: doesn't really help, but thanks for the clue.

 

All I can read in the chart below is three days of the week and "after each work set":

 

Mon

Wed

Fri

FBAS

SL

SL/PE1:
3x12s

10R SL/PE1-iM after each
work set

FL

FL/PE1:
3x12s

5r FL/PE1-iM after each
work set

SL

SL/PE1:
3x12s

10R SL/PE1-iM after each
work set

 

MN

MN/PE1:
3x3r

5r MN/PE1-iM after each
work set

sPL

SPL/PE1:
3x3r

5r SPL/PE1-iM after each
work set

MN

MN/PE1:
3x3r

5r MN/PE1-iM after each
work set

FLS & FBAS

SLS

SLS/PE1:
3x3r

10r SLS/PE1-iM after each
work set

HBP

HBP/PE1:
3x3r

10r HBP/PE1-iM after each
work set

SLS

SLS/PE1:
3x3r

10r SLS/PE1-iM after each
work set

 

 

RC

RC/PE1:
3x3r

30s RC/PE1-iM after each
work set

 

FredInChina

That's a perfectly understandable training plan.

FIRST, you must read the foundation course, slowly and thoroughly, as many times as it takes you to understand the concept, and familiarize yourself with the codes and acronyms. :)

Jon Douglas

RC PE1-- ie. Rope Climb progress, prep element #1. The first one.

And so on :) they're labelled in the exercise description within the course.

rahukala

Hi Fred, Do you mean like buying a book in Russian and then learning Russian to read it? You're very committed! How about a translation? Why write in a private code for a public purpose? The advertisements for this course described it as "simple," "clear" and for "beginners". They also said "If you can read, you can successfully follow and implement the GB Foundation courses". I guess this forum is for the enthusiasts but that this product is not really complete and ready for prime time, so the others with the same problem just ain't here. You all are self selected. You drank the kool aid.

 

 

So what does that schedule say then if its so easy?

 

Read what foundation course? Do you mean this https://gymnasticbodies.customerhub.net/introduction ?

rahukala

Hi Charm, thanks. That helps. So what's your strategy? Do you copy/paste your schedule into word, then do replace all one by one with the terms for the acronyms? Either there must be a better way or people who do this course don't have jobs...

Hercules

Read the text - i.e. foundation. Just like Fred said :)

MvdB

Okay, now I get it - like Charm assumed, you were talking about the output of the workout scheduler. Well, like others have said: read the Foundation course. Then you will notice what I said: for each of the seven elements, there is a table of contents that neatly lists all the acronyms with their full name. You will also find videos, photos and cues for each progression in the course.

 

I'm not sure why you purchased Foundation 1 and then didn't read it, but hey... :)

rahukala

@ Michael: I didn't read it because I can't read it. I'm asking what strategies people used to make it legible. If that schedule is legible, please describe how you read it. I'm looking for descriptive information about your reading process.

 

...that is, IF I even know what text we're talking about. 

Again:  Read WHAT foundation course? Do you mean this https://gymnasticbodies.customerhub.net/introduction ? ...the webpage that starts out "Simplicity. Clarity. Ease of use." then proceeds to become illegible? I clearly will not be able to interpret this even if I print it, unless someone clues me in to how to approach it.

 

You are a self-selected crowd experiencing convergence but try to remember, this is advertised as being for beginnners and I'm an actual beginner. For example, I had to google "Front Lever" even after I found that as a translation of "FL". Same for every term there. Then I forget which is which because they're all new and the acronyms put it all over the top. I've tried several strategies in the  two months I've owned the course and not been able to figure out anything, so I'm here on this forum.

 

Maybe someone, perhaps the author, could just tell me in clear, simple, English what to do in my workout tomorrow? As advertised.

FredInChina

(1) The course covers 7 movements: find them and make a note of them.

(2) These movements are referred to with an acronym (like FL that you've already found out) ---> find them and note them in front of the 7 movements you found at (1)

(3) each of these 7 movements has a series of progressions (usually 6) ---> find them and make a note

(4) Each progression is referred to with an acronym ---> make a note of them in front of (3)

(5) Each progression is paired with a mobility element ---> find them, make a note.

(6) Guess what? each iM has an acronym ---> note them next to (5)

 

Now you have the secret cheat sheet.

 

 

Good luck! :)

rahukala

Thanks Fred.

 

Please define "movement". Since it doesn't include lots of movements...

 

A cheat sheet is not what I'm looking for because its not enough. I need to be able to read this, as a beginner.

FredInChina

:facepalm: You need to help yourself before we can help you any further.

 

rahukala said:

(...) I need to be able to read this (...)

 

Why?

You can watch the videos and the pictures. :)

gohei_

You say you had trouble finding out what FL meant but the very page you linked explains what the acronyms mean.

rahukala

@gohei: I wasn't reading that page when I couldn't identify FL. But even when I get a few lines down that page I can't read it again. Every item in that list is new to me and requires a Youtube lookup, so the names get mixed up fast, let alone the acronyms. How can acronyms make sense for the same target audience that needs such detailed step by step videos? Acronyms are insider jargon but the course is for absolute beginners.

 

@Fred: How's China? Good I hope. I'm glad the course is working out for you. For myself, I actually cannot read it. I need suggestions that don't involve rhetorical surprise and telling me to just get over it. I'm looking for actual help. If that is ridiculous to you, please go read another page of the forum.

 

I'm not addressing this at anyone who's looking to  feel better about themselves via ridicule. That's not really a great use of time for either of us. If anyone has any constuctive advice on strategies for how to read this material, please let me know.

 

My own suggestions are for the course creators:

  1. How about a narrow list of acronyms/definitions/photos in the margin? That would help.
  2. How about popup definitions when you hover the pointer? That would help.
  3. How about both? That would really help.
  4. How about redefining each acronym the first time its used on a new page throughout Foundation One, since its for beginners? That would help too.
  5. Look into the return rate of your customers--it may be in your interest to improve the course legibility. check how many customers don't return so you won't be fooled by the convergence of opinions of the committed crowd in the forum. My suggestion is that you have an actual problem in your product that is obscured by looking at those who have chosen to persist. In other words, you may have untapped audience out there and might receive the benefit of far greater word of mouth advertising if you address this.
gohei_

The acronyms are there to make it easier when discussing different progressions and I can understand it might be hard to learn all of them at once but I don't understand how you can't figure out what to do each session? How many times have you read through everything? It took me a few times to have everything cleared out.

rahukala

Hi Gohei,

Thanks for engaging with this sincerely.

 

How many times? I can't read through it at all. I can't get through it even once.

 

If I'm not mistaken, the schedule I pasted in above is what tells me what to do for my first three sessions. Presently no, I do not know what to do in a workout session.

 

Did you have some background that helped you to read this when you started? Any experience at all?

gohei_

I have been active here a few years so yes the acronyms and stuff I knew already but the planning was new for me and I probably read through it all like 3 times before I got the hang of it.

The schedule you pasted where did you get it cuz I don't recognize it.

Do you use the workout planner? I do not and I find it a lot easier to write down all I need in a big piece of paper which I have with me during workouts.

Christian

Also I'm wondering. Is it just making sense of the acronyms? You have found the videos right? So if it says RC/PE1 you can go to the rope climb section and find the first video? The acronyms are right under it. They are also on the first page of each element. Have you gone through and seen all the videos? Can you read set x reps description? 3x3 means 3 sets of 3 reps each.

rahukala

Gohei and Christian,

 

Both helpful. Thanks. ...Hard for me to pinpoint the problem though, so I'm going through trying to work out what you're saying.

 

...not sure how NOT to use the planner.

 

...not sure how to find my way between the planner and the videos without too many steps, or how to save all that operationally in my head for when I go to the gym as we have no wifi there...thinking about using a big piece of paper...maybe with screenshots? but then the time required is going to go past what I have available (today's a day off but usually I can't commit this sort of time so I need a sensible solution).

Christian

First print the planner workout. Then spend some time finding each video and watch and watch and so on :-) you'll get it soon.

Hercules

I realise it can look like another language at times - I struggled when I started just over a year ago.

 

Okay, so I'll give you a headstart. You have to read the course (foundation 1), the online webpages, all of them, then the schedule will begin to make sense. It's quite simple really.

FL = Front Lever

sPL = Straddle planche

HBP = Hollow Back Press

RC = Rope Climb

MN = Manna

SL = Side lever

SLS = Single Legged Squat

I suggest you google each of those terms so you understand what you're headed towards.

FL/Pe 1 - this indicates that it is the preparatory element number 1 of the "front lever", so you'll have to click on "Front Lever" - https://gymnasticbodies.customerhub.net/fl1-toc - then go to here https://gymnasticbodies.customerhub.net/fl-pe1 to see the exercise itself - The bent Hollow Body hold. You will also see FL/Pe1>iM - this shows that it is the mobility element that accompanies the exercise. This can be found by clicking the arrow beneath the video.

 

https://gymnasticbodies.customerhub.net/your-first-workout

This explains how to do your first workout.

 

What schedule will you be using? I'll assume you're using the 4 days a week.

Monday and Thursday - You work the Front Lever , straddle Planche,  Hollow Back press and Rope climb progressions. On your first workout you will try to do the preparatory element 1 (Pe 1) of each of those exercises for the required reps, which is 5 sets of either 60s or 15 reps, with no rest in between sets but doing the required integrated mobility.

For example

https://gymnasticbodies.customerhub.net/fl-pe1

https://gymnasticbodies.customerhub.net/fl-pe1-im/

 

Tuesday and Friday - You work the Manna, Side Lever and single legged squat progressions. Again, you  try to do the Pe 1 for 5 sets of 60s or 15 reps.

 

FBAS - Fundamental Bent Arm Strength (Rope climb and Hollow Back press)

FSAS - Fundamental Straight Arm Strength (Manna, Side Lever, Front lever, Straddle Planche)

FLS - Fundamental Leg Strength

 

Hope that helps.