This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How far to lean when practicing planche leans?

Started by ForzaCavaliere, August 14, 2013 · 52 Replies · 10,380 Views

ForzaCavaliere

Hi all! 

 

I saw Dillon's sticky post regarding the planche lean training, and realised I myself was pushing up into adv. tuck planche. I am now working on planche leans, but the problem is that I don't know how far forward I should be aiming to lean, or even hand placement. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Christian

Untill faceplant, then 1 cm before :-)

Ideally hands under hips is where you want to be.

Mats Trane

Play around with the handplacement and choose the position where it feels comfortable.

Ravn

I'm also a bit confused about this. If leaning like you say, Christian, would't one have de facto developed a planche? Surely if one is able to hold a planche lean with the feet barely touching the ground for 5x30 secs, you be able to hold a decent planche for, say, six seconds?

I am confused because:

A: this is going to take a long, long (really long) time, and

B: why so early in the progression, and why would we need the rest of the Foundation series?

By faceplant, do you mean actually tipping over on straight arms, or that the arms give in under pressure?

Christian

The faceplant was just for a joke. The hands under hips is the goal but of course it's going to take a while to get there.

Ravn

Agreed. Seriously though, I'd still like someone to answer my question.

@ Mats, don't you mean '...choose the position where it feels UNcomfortable'? ;)

Christian

The planche lean, even with hands under hips is quite far from an actual planche. Only the scapular region is protracted, but there is no lifting of the legs or even the butt.

B1214N
Christian said:

The planche lean, even with hands under hips is quite far from an actual planche. Only the scapular region is protracted, but there is no lifting of the legs or even the butt.

This is incorrect. Assuming that person's COM is at their hips, then they will be in a full planche if their hands are directly under it.

 

EDIT: Max lean for a planche lean is hands just before COM and once the hands reach under your COM then you will be in a low full planche (feet just off the floor) and if you lean even further then you will reach a full planche with hips leveled with shoulders (hands will still be under the COM, but the lean is slightly more).

P5yx
B1214N said:

This is incorrect. Assuming that person's COM is at their hips, then they will be in a full planche if their hands are directly under it.

That is true. Many forget that you have to keep that hollow body all the time. the means you wont have to lift you butt or legs very much. They will naturally do when your hands are directly under your hips.

Christian

I doubt that. I can lean untill my hands are nearly hip level and maintaining that lean i tuck my legs to my chest, i don't go into a tuck planche as I become unable to maintain protraction. The weight to support in a tuck planche seems much higher than the weight in a lean.

B1214N

Show a video of your max lean planche lean then. You have to keep in mind that you are supposed to look at a certain part of the hands and not anywhere on the hands. You have to look at the main contact point and that will depend on the hand position you are using.

Christian

Ok, overestimating my planche leans abilites clearly, but this lean is not even equal to a tuck planche. Had my protraction been more and the edge of my hands where you can see the short straps dangling, it would still be way off an actual planche.

 

B1214N

Yes, you are not close to the full lean yet. It looks like there is still at least a couple inches before reaching the hips which makes a BIG difference. Your hands are almost completely turned out to the sides so the main contact point should be by the thumbs and that is where you should measure the distance. You are also piked.

Ravn

That looks pretty much like my planche lean. Would you say that that form constitutes mastery? If so, I am on the right track.

Ravn

Oops, forgot that we are not on F1 section, sorry! Thanks for the answer though.

Cody
B1214N said:

Yes, you are not close to the full lean yet. It looks like there is still at least a couple inches before reaching the hips which makes a BIG difference. Your hands are almost completely turned out to the sides so the main contact point should be by the thumbs and that is where you should measure the distance. You are also piked.

 

I was measuring it by looking at the back of my wrists, lol. Looks like I have a lot more work to do.

 

B1214N
Cody said:

I was measuring it by looking at the back of my wrists, lol. Looks like I have a lot more work to do.

 

Yes, many people mistaken where to measure it since there is not much explanation of which part of hands. If you are using hands backwards then you measure it at the wrists.

 

The fact is that a planche lean with the full lean is not too far away from a full planche and is definitely much harder than tuck planche. An elevated planche lean with the full lean is very close to the full planche.

Cody
B1214N said:

Yes, many people mistaken where to measure it since there is not much explanation of which part of hands. If you are using hands backwards then you measure it at the wrists.

 

The fact is that a planche lean with the full lean is not too far away from a full planche and is definitely much harder than tuck planche. An elevated planche lean with the full lean is very close to the full planche.

 

Yeah, elevated is way harder. On the floor, I can get pretty close to my waist, but if I elevate my feet to a full planche position, I can only get a bit below my chest.

 

Cody

Would you consider a full planche lean with feet elevated to be as hard as a straddle planche?

B1214N

I would consider it harder than straddle planche if the it was with the full lean in the elevated planche lean and even the non elevated one. It is almost the full planche itself when done elevated with maximum lean. I don't know why Zach said it's not.

Cody
B1214N said:

I would consider it harder than straddle planche if the it was with the full lean in the elevated planche lean and even the non elevated one. It is almost the full planche itself when done elevated with maximum lean. I don't know why Zach said it's not.

 

Perhaps he misunderstood? When I say full planche lean, I mean maximum lean. (hands under hips)

A full lean on the floor is definitely harder than tuck planche for me and I also think that even a decent amount of lean with your feet elevated is as hard or harder than advanced tuck, so it would make sense that with maximum lean, it would be about the same difficulty of at least a wide straddle planche.

I also recall reading a thread on here about some guy who did planche leans with his feet on a ball for a few months and could do a straddle planche.

B1214N

A planche lean with maximum lean is harder than a straddle planche (narrow or wide). My definition of maximum lean in a planche lean is the point just before your feet levitates off the surface. Believe me I compared them and it's definitely harder than straddle planche.

B1214N

I'm pretty sure most people here doing F1 are not even close to the full lean in the elevated or non-elevated planche leans. There is barely any weight on the feet if you are at the full lean. I personally compared them both and it's easier in a straddle planche and my straddles aren't very wide at all.

 

EDIT: Yes, I did take balance out of the equation. I was actually referring to difficulty in strength of the pushing muscles and arms.

Cody

Since you guys already have planches obtained from following the progressions I'm assuming, I guess I'll just have to experiment for myself.

I'm basically just doing leans and elevated leans right now. I'll let you guys know if I have any progess in my planche so we will know for sure.

Adriano Augusto

Reading this post I realise more and more what Zach said once: "planche leans are gold".

 

So, I have several questions:

 

1) Which is the development to achieve a full lean on Planche Leans with hands just before your COG? Wrist strenght& flexibility? Overall strenght? Scapular control? 

 

2) We've to work on "ideal" planche leans (hand below hips) or just 2-3cm before COG? 

 

We've to assume that everyone's different and we've to practice and experimenting, but the athlete's arm are not just too long? :D

 

I've started to love this movement; but I hate it when I start to think on PPP with the same lean that I have on Planche Leans, which is not even close to where I want :D 

 

Keep the topic! It's interesting.