Hello from the newest new guy

Started by rival11, August 6, 2013 · 4 Replies · 7,973 Views

rival11

Hello,

 

A little about me - in the summer of 2012 I stumbled upon a few you tube videos of people doing the impossible planche push-up when I was simply looking to improve my psuedo (hip) push-ups.  Upon first seeing it I initaly just said "Never would I be able to do that" - a few months later....I couldn't get the move out of my head and decided I NEED to do it.

 

I fortunately and unforunately am an Endomorph body type....fortuntely because we pack on muscle like it's nobody business unfrotuately because we also pack on the pounds super easy as well.  I considered myself strong power wise as I was ablet o bench 380 lbs NATURALLY in my days with weigts.  I was pretty strong overall.

 

When I started doing bodyweight exercises only....I found out that's where the money is at...I can't believe how much power I have now, it's that solid, pure power feeling and I love it.

 

I am at a crossroads though with my planche training.  I am getting beyond frustrated with it.  I remember starting off not even being able to literally move myself off the floor for a tuck planche and remember my arms killing me just from that.  I am now at the point on a good day of training where I can hold a tuck planche for literally just a few seconds but it's not consistent - I get so pumped when I hold it for a few seconds only on the next day of training to find I can't hold it at all. 

 

My training consists of 3 sets of attempted tuck planche holds, followed by getting into a straddle planche position and leaning as far forward as possible and trying to hold for 10 seconds (3 sets), then I do 3 sets of handstand pushups (laughing can only do a few after the tuck and straddle sets), and then I do non-planche exercises which are 3 sets of ultra-wide pushups then 3 sets of tricep extensions (body extended with arms on a low counter).

 

I understand the planche is serious business but I have never been more serious and motivated about being able to do such an awesome looking move.  I will get it, i don't care If I reach 80 and can't move very well - there is no way I am going to fail. 

 

I never knew gymnastics would have such a profound effect on me.  I mean yeah, Like millions of others you see these people on TV during the olympics defying gravity and doing some of the most amazing things ever but it's funny how I never once said hey, maybe I should look into this more to see if I like it.

 

Anyway, sorry for the rant but I don't know anyone personally who is into this stuff and my co-workers are sick of hearing me talk about being able to planche (although funny enough I did get one guy into working out in general from all the talk so I guess it was a good thing) and I'm literally addicted to training for the move.

Patrick Smith

Hi Rival - Welcome to the forums, and have fun!  :)

Bipocni

Welcome to the forum Rival.

 

A little advice with your planche problem.  Have you tried a straight arm frogstand yet?  It's like a tuck planche, but with your knees on the backs of your elbows.  Still with straight arms.  If you can't do a good 15 second hold of that (preferably 4 of them) then you're not going to be making much progress in the tuck planche.  A 60 second planche lean (feet elevated or on a wall optional) wouldn't be a bad idea as well.

 

Alternatively, if you want a guaranteed method of getting to a straddle planche, as well as the ridiculously badass hollowback press (90 degree pushup) you could look into buying Foundation 1.  It comes with a 30 day money back guarantee, so I strongly urge you to try it for just a couple of weeks, and if you're not sold on it by then you can always get the refund.  It's the official program most of us follow around here.

 

Just one final question: If your goal is a planche pushup, why have you stopped doing the pseudo planche pushups?

Jon Douglas

Note on straight arm frogstand--

Maintain the protraction, lean forward even harder (a little further than a comfortable balance point) and focus on getting that contraction in your upper back. You aren't going to condition anything other than your elbows with a passive balance-- not a complete waste of time, but not going to get you to a strong tuck planche.

Just an easy bad habit to pick up :)

rival11

Thanks guys.  I keep hearing (on other sites) that the frog stand was never a good way to train (even with straight arms) but I can give it a shot.

 

Good question on the psuedo planche pushup question and why I stopped.  To be honest.....my shoulders are cooked after doing the tuck planches and the leans in the straddle position.  After those I go into handstand pushups - while still difficult, I do place my elbows out in front of me while doing them so my triceps take a bit of the load off my already exhausted shoulders.

 

If you guys know that it's best to do hip pushups even if your shoulders ae spent - well I would certainly do them as well.

 

I actually can get my entire body of the ground while in straddle position for about a second or two but that's it.....it really humbles me as well - such a unique feeling.