This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mastery of sPL/PE1>iM - Swivel Hips

Started by Sam London, August 1, 2013 · 60 Replies · 2,452 Views

Sam London

Hi, can someone confirm that mastery of swivel hips involves keeping both my buttocks on the floor while performing the full ROM (full ROM being able to get BOTH my knees to touch the floor on EACH SIDE). If so... I have a long way to go but I will obviously keep up the work!

Norbert Marko

Should I touch the floor with my internally rotating hip(Knee) too? Cause this is the only iM where I do not seem to improve. I'm at the end of my first mini cycle and I'm almost certain there is no way i can touch the floor by week 12. Not trying to steal the topic, I'm just curious too :)

P5yx

I'm also very interessted! My doctor told me i have a naturally external rotated hip. he said for me it is quite impossible to reach full rom on that exercise. Do you think he is right? And what should i do? i'll keep that exercise for a few mini cycles.

but it would suck if i can NEVER reach sPL/PE2>iM if my bone structure doesn't allow it.

Alessandro Mainente

Externally rotated hips is a matter of mobility in the 90% of the case and can be solved with very practical approach. the fact that you can't reach the floor is a very tight buttock, and the mobility exercise proposed on foundation works for this goal.

Externally rotated hips are usually due to weak or inactive gluteus medius on the affected side. It can also be due to tight lateral hamstrings and/or weak adductors. So consider the ides to make some test about your actual level of flexibility and work to correct your weak points.

Norbert Marko
alex87 said:

Externally rotated hips is a matter of mobility in the 90% of the case and can be solved with very practical approach. the fact that you can't reach the floor is a very tight buttock, and the mobility exercise proposed on foundation works for this goal.

Externally rotated hips are usually due to weak or inactive gluteus medius on the affected side. It can also be due to tight lateral hamstrings and/or weak adductors. So consider the ides to make some test about your actual level of flexibility and work to correct your weak points.

and what about internal rotation? that is the problem for me unfortunately :\

spyro7800

well I improved a lot in this iM...my left knee go through full ROM...not the case of right knee though :/ its improving slowly.. I foam roll everything - lacross ball piriformis and whole legs with rumble roller...and stretch hip internal rotation...something like this 

.. I did not watch the video...but just put it here so I don't have to describe the stretch..and I do it with CR/PNF approach
P5yx

nice what was your starting rom?

spyro7800

well about half of the ROM, left knee was always little better than right :) 

P5yx

hm ok that's very nice progress. my starting rom was indeed 90 degree (knee facing upwards) for my internally rotated leg.

It improved a little by now.

Bipocni
Sam London said:

Hi, can someone confirm that mastery of swivel hips involves keeping both my buttocks on the floor while performing the full ROM (full ROM being able to get BOTH my knees to touch the floor on EACH SIDE). If so... I have a long way to go but I will obviously keep up the work!

Anyone else notice no-one has actually confirmed this?

P5yx
Bipocni said:

Anyone else notice no-one has actually confirmed this?

Yes i noticed that too. But i guess you need full rom to proof mastery because the athlete in the video also demonstrates full rom. So that should be our goal.

 

In my case i think that could take at least 6 month what is quite some time...

MarcinTrybalski
P5yx said:

Yes i noticed that too. But i guess you need full rom to proof mastery because the athlete in the video also demonstrates full rom. So that should be our goal.

 

In my case i think that could take at least 6 month what is quite some time...

...but he lifts his buttocks obviously slightly off the ground to reach the full rom ;)

Sam London
MarcinTrybalski said:

...but he lifts his buttocks obviously slightly off the ground to reach the full rom ;)

Yes. I thought I noticed him slightly lifting his buttocks as well and hence my original question to confirm. I can almost reach full ROM if I slightly lift one of my buttocks from the floor but felt that was cheating.

P5yx

the hint clearly tells you to keep your glutes touch the ground at all time.

Bipocni
P5yx said:

the hint clearly tells you to keep your glutes touch the ground at all time.

but... but how?

Micawberian

Hmm well it doesn't say to keep the entire glutes on the ground...maybe it's okay to lift as long as you don't life the entire muscle off the floor.

it does look like the boy in the demonstration still has some of the glute touching.

P5yx

Any official statements by a bg coach would help alot here.

Keilani Gutierrez

Cole, Nic and Coach have all said the same things guys, (keep those glutes on the ground!)

internal rotation can be impeded by a number of things, so just keep doing the iM and invest in some stretching or foam rolling to loosen tight tissues(pressure in the knee is a symptom of tight hip flexors)

Richard Hamilton

What Keilani said... spend more time stretching your hips. Foam rolling and massage can help as well. I'm still working on these as well :)

Sam London

Thank you for the advice. That means lots of hard work ahead to get the full ROM  :) for me. At least I will be an absolute expert at scapular shrugs by that point.

Aadil Siddiqi

It's so frustrating! :/ I have my externally rotated hip an inch off the ground and my internally rotated hip four inches off the ground. It seems like the athlete in the video really "pushes" for the last bit of internal ROM, and his glutes do seem to rise off the ground a little. But, if the glutes are to be kept floored, then I'll have to wait a bit more than a week for my mastery :( But the long-term benefits will exceed the short-term ones I suppose

P5yx

does anyone ever felt pain in the inside of the knees while performing the swiffel hips?

Richard Hamilton

Yeah... you can feel some discomfort on the inside of your knees... if it's bad enough to describe as painful then you may be best to lay off for a while or reduce the volume. Somedays I find it worse than others but usually after 2 or so sets it settles down a bit.

Geoff

I only feel a strain on the inside of the knees when I try to "press from above" instead of "pull from below", so I try to focus on pulling instead of pressing.

Jon Douglas

You might try combining these with straddle ups in the same warmup/workout. The combination makes for thoroughly mobile hips.

Combine with Hawaiian squats too for an interesting effect