slizzardman said:I still say that it is more than just possible, but in fact as or more efficient to build mass with gymnastic strength movements. Just because it isn't done doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be! Sort of like how athletes used to look down on weight training.
Resistance is resistance, be it from iron or bodyweight. So you could certainly achieve both types of hypertrophy with weights or gymnastics, depends on rep ranges etc as already mentioned. Personally I am aiming for a low level of hypertrophy, and I much prefer bodyweight exercises and some gymnastics training. I find weights quite boring and I also feel safer doing bodyweight exercises. I have heard the sarcoplasmic hypertrophy can result in "spongy" muscle, while myofibrillar would have a harder, tighter feel.
If an actor was to play a gymnast, and was using a double for any actual performances then I expect he would just train for the easiest quickest hypertrophy that he could (excluding method actors!)
I find it easier and prefer to simply add weights to my basic movements, so do weighted chinups, pullups, rope pullups, dips, pushups. I find this easier than training for advanced gymnastic moves, and easier to track progression. My goal is only a little hypertrophy, obviously the stronger you get the harder it would be to find gymnastic moves which would give adequate resistance to further grow your muscles. On youtube there are several groups of guys who claim to only use bodyweight exercise and are quite large. This is an interview with one, although he does state he used weights in the past
There is an interesting article here about female gymnasts and how they might benefit from using weights since it would keep them in lower rep ranges and so minimize hypertrophy.