This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Straddle L

Started by dritar, July 20, 2013 · 25 Replies · 932 Views

dritar

Hello,

 

I was wondering if straddle L is going to be an FSP achieved over the course of Foundation work.

 

Like many here my flexibility and hip flexor strength sucks in MN/PE2 and to aid in this I've added an exercise pair. I know that hamstring flexibility is part of the problem but that's already addressed by the MN/PE2 iM. So I've added one supplemental exercise pair to address my weaknesses (seated straddle lift hold in 60s mastery template with a hip flexor stretch serving as iM).

 

Like many guys straddle flexibility and hip flexor strength is a particular weakness, so I'm thinking of maintaining this supplement to Foundation work as it doesn't detract from my recovery nor takes much more time. My idea is doing something like the early straddle L progressions from BtGB coupled with hip opening stretches and straddle flexibility drills (pancake stretches, etc).

 

Since there's still some up coming material, my question is if this "conflicts" with some later exercises or if you feel good straddle L work has some pre-requisites which I will not have achieved at this time. I don't mean to achieve something like a XR straddle L on my own, but maybe a good PB straddle L would be a reasonable goal alongside Foundation work and would not interfere much ?

Jon Douglas

Id be very surprised if we didn't see it coming up in manna work. Later elements in F2 involve specific straddle flexibility/mobility, so I could see it coming hot on the heels of consolidated lsit work, which is technically simpler (if.not easier). Anyone can do a decent lsit even if its only a second or so, but its oddly rarer to see itpeople able to lift to a proper straddle l

Other than that, you aren't going to get info on upcoming stuff :-P so accept my potentially faulty logic for what it is.

All that aside, Im also doing some minor additional straddle l work for my hips, but its more like a minute total in warmup than anything structured

Joshua Slocum

Some supplemental straddle-L work should be fine.

Supplemental flexibility work is very strongly encouraged.

trw
Charm said:

Anyone can do a decent lsit even if its only a second or so, but its oddly rarer to see itpeople able to lift to a proper straddle l

Ha, I'm not so sure about that, Charm. Maybe that's true for a fitness enthusiast, but I've definitely seen people fail miserably at getting anywhere near an L-sit even for a second. Not that mine isn't pathetic, mind you.

 

dritar said:

Like many here my flexibility and hip flexor strength sucks in MN/PE2 and to aid in this I've added an exercise pair. I know that hamstring flexibility is part of the problem but that's already addressed by the MN/PE2 iM. So I've added one supplemental exercise pair to address my weaknesses (seated straddle lift hold in 60s mastery template with a hip flexor stretch serving as iM).

I'm one of the many. I've been adding straddle leg lifts and holds in my warmups since I've seen that recommended around here, as well as stretching. If you're using the mastery template, where do you plan on inserting it in your schedule, and how often?

dritar

I inserted it on the FL, sPL, HBP, RC days, between sPL and HBP.

Keilani Gutierrez

really?

the fact that this is a MN element, you guys have no problem doing hip flexor work every day of the week?

I'd need a recovery day, so id be inclined to include it post MN work, to work on flexibility and stretch out the hip flexors after warming up with that days Tuck Ups.

MN, SL, SLS, (Straddle leg lifts(60sec mastery)with hip flexor stretc(30sec)

Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

really?

the fact that this is a MN element, you guys have no problem doing hip flexor work every day of the week?

I'd need a recovery day, so id be inclined to include it post MN work, to work on flexibility and stretch out the hip flexors after warming up with that days Tuck Ups.

MN, SL, SLS, (Straddle leg lifts(60sec mastery)with hip flexor stretc(30sec)

I do mine after mn work, and am taking the long way found with a full 3 mth cycle for 30 sec-- same one i am just finishing up with lsit. Seems to go well, but then i was doing 30 sec strsaddle l as warmup for wods too

Related, now that Im back on the rings i also include 30 sec ring support.and German hang in spl warmup .

trw

That's part of the reason I asked about his scheduling, Keilani. Personally, I keep my compression work at a lighter volume in my warmups. But if I opt instead for more dedicated sessions I would think for the same reasons as you to put them on manna days.

 

Charm said:

I do mine after mn work, and am taking the long way found with a full 3 mth cycle for 30 sec-- same one i am just finishing up with lsit. Seems to go well, but then i was doing 30 sec strsaddle l as warmup for wods too
Related, now that Im back on the rings i also include 30 sec ring support.and German hang in spl warmup .

 

I would lean towards the 30 sec template as well considering how much my hip flexors struggle in the straddle position. The 60 sec template seems like a lot of extra work for a supplementary exercise.

dritar

Works for me. I prefer not to concentrate all the hip flexor work in specific days and spread it more evenly. My current straddle flexibility and hip flexor strength sucks so it's not like I can do too much volume anyway.

dritar

Thanks for the back to wall tip on the straddle lift. Will try it tomorrow.

Jon Douglas

Added to that, active stretching for pike and straddle. I literally do this before i get up. While lying in bed on waking i do drills for eyes and a 30 sec pike compression, and straddle. Just lift legs to maximum with proper ppt and hold at max for a slow 30 count. First and last thing, and has been slowly but surely improving

gohei_
Charm said:

Added to that, active stretching for pike and straddle. I literally do this before i get up. While lying in bed on waking i do drills for eyes and a 30 sec pike compression, and straddle. Just lift legs to maximum with proper ppt and hold at max for a slow 30 count. First and last thing, and has been slowly but surely improving

Since you mentioned ppt, is this something one should mantain during all straddle work or only when folding at the hips?

Jon Douglas

Hmm, have not really thought about it. Pretty much i just focus on hips and a lean, and judge my success by height with lockout and toe point . i can't swear my straddle l is picture perfect however, you'd need a gymnast to give you fine detail :-)

Edit;

In the stretch this is to make it entirely hip/compression rather than allowing back to help/compensate obviously

Aadil Siddiqi

Straddle L-low was something that was pretty easy for me. I can do up to 20s no problem (strong hips from soccer), but raising the legs up at the end is tough. Foundation will almost certainly address it, and if you're going to do it, do it after foundation.

P.S: Charm, i was thinking maybe I could do a low straddle L for the YouTube video :D

Jon Douglas
Aadil Siddiqi said:

P.S: Charm, i was thinking maybe I could do a low straddle L for the YouTube video :D

Go nuts :) if you feel like stepping up you could do the one hand inside, one outside, which i find much easier than full straddle l. Feel like putting a pb on camera? :)

xray
Charm said:

Added to that, active stretching for pike and straddle. I literally do this before i get up. While lying in bed on waking i do drills for eyes and a 30 sec pike compression, and straddle. Just lift legs to maximum with proper ppt and hold at max for a slow 30 count. First and last thing, and has been slowly but surely improving

what eye drills do you do?

Jon Douglas
xray said:

what eye drills do you do?

Tracking and focusing in different planes and distances. Nothing uncommon. I am just the only person in my family who doesn't wear glasses, despite working on the computer a lot (far too much right now) so I am diligent about it.

Keilani Gutierrez
Charm said:

Tracking and focusing in different planes and distances. Nothing uncommon. I am just the only person in my family who doesn't wear glasses, despite working on the computer a lot (far too much right now) so I am diligent about it.

this. i tend to always have my phone with me and text on it a lot. as for computer, i am on it for a subtantial amount of time and a small change that has helped with eye strain or having to take breaks(especially at night) is installing F.lux. now when i see my friends iphones in the dark, im surprised that i used to stare into a supernova when i would go out or be in bed.
Nic Branson

L-sit first. Straddle will make an appearance, kind of an important part of Manna training.

trw
ewethestuff said:

Considering how strongly Coach used to recommend the LSit->StraddleL->Manna work progression, I'd be amazed if a significant part of F3 wasn't focused on it.

 

My plan for MN/PE2, which everyone seems to be struggling with:

1) 2-6 minutes straddle stretch everyday, with Kit's 1-day-a-week hard session, rest of the week nice and easy and relaxing. I find that holding a 10lb weight stretched out in front of me during the hard session is ridiculously productive + trying to arch at the deepest point of the stretch. 

 

2) Doing the seated straddle raises a few times a week. Putting your back against a wall makes this exercise a LOT more honest. You start to see how much of your ROM is from back rounding, and how much you are actually closing your torso/leg angle.

 

Great stuff. Thanks for that.

gohei_
ewethestuff said:

 

 

2) Doing the seated straddle raises a few times a week. Putting your back against a wall makes this exercise a LOT more honest. You start to see how much of your ROM is from back rounding, and how much you are actually closing your torso/leg angle.

I did these today and let me tell you, I thought I was gonna die! My feet got maybe a few cm above the ground but my right quad cramped up like crazy, not pleasant at all  :blink:

trw

Seriously, when I put my back against the wall last time it became a struggle to get even an inch of lift.

gohei_

It's a devilish exercise for sure.

FredInChina
Charm said:

Tracking and focusing in different planes and distances. Nothing uncommon. I am just the only person in my family who doesn't wear glasses, despite working on the computer a lot (far too much right now) so I am diligent about it.

 

Great!

Okinawan traditional karate has eye exercises as well; I think inherited from their tradition of being seamen and fishermen. :)

Jon Douglas
FredInChina said:

Great!

Okinawan traditional karate has eye exercises as well; I think inherited from their tradition of being seamen and fishermen. :)

Wing chun inherited them from Shaolin heritage :)

Depending on who you ask its to compensate for the cumulative effects of finger training, or simply to help train eyes to focus automatically on movement. It was very offputting when i went from training full time to teaching English i n Japan-- kids waving at me in class had my head jerking back and forth ^_^