Taking It Slow

Started by wheezer, July 11, 2013 · 4 Replies · 2,520 Views

wheezer

I have seen quite a few people on these boards give an impression that their main priority is to get through the program (F1-2/H1) as quickly as possible. I feel like these people are short-changing themselves with this attitude. I would like to offer a perspective that, may not be perfect (and corrections are welcome), but has helped me through a lot of emotionally challenging weeks of training where effort has seemed to be greater than reward. It may help you, too.

 

Stop and think about the core reason why you are investing some money, a lot of time, and a huge amount of sustained effort in this program. Until you are strong enough for technical skills, your training is not actually about the exercises you are doing. Your training is about placing certain muscle contractions under a certain resistance for a certain amount of time. You are logging seconds, and reps, under a specific type of force, tailored to your current level of ability to handle with effort. In response, the body adapts to this force by regenerating the tissues to handle it with greater ease. This regeneration is the actual product you are working for.

 

The exercises prescribed to you are nothing more than a vehicle to put your body under this strategic type of stress. This strategic stress, applied repeatedly over time, will produce a predictable result of improved condition. I suggest: do not look to "advance" as quickly as possible through the exercises; instead, look to get as much conditioning improvement as you possibly can out of each exercise. Building the best gymnastic body you can takes a discipline of depth, more than a discipline of speed.

 

Say you are working on the last programmed week of any exercise. If you feel any kind of struggle, or notice that you can do any rep in a way that generates more stress on the targeted movement (ie. better form) you are staring right at the opportunity you are looking for in this program. Why would you not capitalize on this opportunity to give your body this stress? Why would you walk away from the opportunity, right in front of you, to achieve your goal?

 

If you race through to the end, you will get to the end. Where will you be, at the end? (Besides having people pick holes in your form, should you wish to get accredited), you will be less conditioned than the person who took their time and focused on maximising their conditioning. By creating competition in your mind, and trying to win: you lost.

 

In my eyes, this is the full profoundness of the word "mastery". Mastery is not "I can do x sets of y reps" - that is just ability. Mastery is "I can do x sets and y reps of this exercise with such perfect form and such ease, it is obvious there is no more opportunity to stress my body with it. I have milked all the conditioning benefits out of this movement. If I want to get stronger, I have no choice but to find something more challenging for my body to adapt to." Then, the next exercise is truly ready.

 

You will still get to the end. But, you will have acquired so much more. You will have made the most of each step along the way. The body you will have, as a result, will maximise the benefit of why you turned to this product in the first place.

Bissen

Bravo!

 

This is exactly the reason why I just scaled back (well; I had to). I could DO the reps x sets, but I didn't MASTER it - lost focus, and found myself being beat down for overworking. Exercise is supposed to make me stronger and feeling better, and not to drive me into the ground and feel like snot.

 

Now, I'll try work on the same sets and reps until I can do them without struggling.

FredInChina
wheezer said:

I have seen quite a few people on these boards give an impression that their main priority is to get through the program (F1-2/H1) as quickly as possible. I feel like these people are short-changing themselves with this attitude. I would like to offer a perspective that, may not be perfect (and corrections are welcome), but has helped me through a lot of emotionally challenging weeks of training where effort has seemed to be greater than reward. It may help you, too.

 

Stop and think about the core reason why you are investing some money, a lot of time, and a huge amount of sustained effort in this program. Until you are strong enough for technical skills, your training is not actually about the exercises you are doing. Your training is about placing certain muscle contractions under a certain resistance for a certain amount of time. You are logging seconds, and reps, under a specific type of force, tailored to your current level of ability to handle with effort. In response, the body adapts to this force by regenerating the tissues to handle it with greater ease. This regeneration is the actual product you are working for.

 

The exercises prescribed to you are nothing more than a vehicle to put your body under this strategic type of stress. This strategic stress, applied repeatedly over time, will produce a predictable result of improved condition. I suggest: do not look to "advance" as quickly as possible through the exercises; instead, look to get as much conditioning improvement as you possibly can out of each exercise. Building the best gymnastic body you can takes a discipline of depth, more than a discipline of speed.

 

Say you are working on the last programmed week of any exercise. If you feel any kind of struggle, or notice that you can do any rep in a way that generates more stress on the targeted movement (ie. better form) you are staring right at the opportunity you are looking for in this program. Why would you not capitalize on this opportunity to give your body this stress? Why would you walk away from the opportunity, right in front of you, to achieve your goal?

 

If you race through to the end, you will get to the end. Where will you be, at the end? (Besides having people pick holes in your form, should you wish to get accredited), you will be less conditioned than the person who took their time and focused on maximising their conditioning. By creating competition in your mind, and trying to win: you lost.

 

In my eyes, this is the full profoundness of the word "mastery". Mastery is not "I can do x sets of y reps" - that is just ability. Mastery is "I can do x sets and y reps of this exercise with such perfect form and such ease, it is obvious there is no more opportunity to stress my body with it. I have milked all the conditioning benefits out of this movement. If I want to get stronger, I have no choice but to find something more challenging for my body to adapt to." Then, the next exercise is truly ready.

 

You will still get to the end. But, you will have acquired so much more. You will have made the most of each step along the way. The body you will have, as a result, will maximise the benefit of why you turned to this product in the first place.

 

stan said:

I'm experimenting with volume at the moment and it looks like for some exercises I need a different training pattern. In HBP/PE1 I stayed at week 6 for over 3 months doing 3 trainings a week, which is the maximum listed in the program, but even though I was getting muscle failure any time I attempted the week 7 volume, the muscles never felt that they had "worked" afterwards and were never sore.

 

What I've been trying for the last two weeks is to repeat the week 6 volume several times, until I feel that the muscles have "worked". For example last week this was be 4 times on Monday, and then another 2 times on Tuesday. The result was that there was still no soreness, however there was fatigue and I felt like resting for several days before doing the exercise again - something which never happened before. This week I was finally able to do the week 7 volume and moved to it.

 

I'll keep this strategy for a couple of months on all exercises - do the volume I'm at until the muscle feels like has "worked" and then rest until it feels like it needs work again. This may be a bit unstructured but I'm keeping a full exercise log and will be able to see any patterns that emerge.

 

 

Do less... do more... who really knows?

Here is a witch's brew, drink it! :)

...................... Or hire Coach Sommer for 75$ every 18 months

Jon Douglas

Good philosophy, however, I don't agree with taking it slow for the sake of taking it slow. Taking it as slow as necessary to adapt and mobilise, certainly.

 

Patience is a virtue, but moving on when it's time to move on is also a necessary step. It is a fine line between being fully comfortable with a movement and being *too* comfortable with a movement-- the latter is a sign that you are simply staying in your comfort zone.

 

I would say instead that the goal (from my POV) *is* to move ahead as quickly as possible, but with honesty and a level head. Element mastered, form, tempo, reps, time? Good, consolidate and move on. It takes as long as it takes, but why take longer than that? The previously mastered ones are of course there in your warmup too.

Jon Douglas

Addendum;

It's also important to remember that in the grand scheme of things, Foundation work is objectively not so difficult as we GST newcomers are finding it. Thinking about how hard I'm working on this basic material lights a fire under me each day to prove (to myself) that I can do better.