This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Knuckle push-ups suitable HBP/PE2 substitute?

Started by Murray Truelove, July 6, 2013 · 20 Replies · 787 Views

Murray Truelove

I don't like to deviate from F1 but I prefer Knuckle push-ups for their extra ROM. Any reason not to do them in this variation? 

FredInChina

I was exclusively doing knuckle push ups before i started F1 6 cycles ago...

I think that was a mistake.

With F1, I started doing regular (flat hand) push ups; they proved hard (and painful) because of restricted wrist mobility; together with the wrist exercises in H1, this is slowly improving.

 

If you like knuckle push ups because of the extra depth, I think that it should be okay to keep them in the plan, but not exclusively; maybe 2 sets of knuckle push ups & 3 sets of flat hands?

 

Maybe a GB coach has an opinion on that :)

Joakim Anderson

Or elevate yourself, for example using three chairs/benches/boxes, two for the hands and one for the legs?

Jon Douglas

I'm assuming you're asking this because you've already mastered the pushups and they are too easy....

 

So why not move on to the next element and use knuckle pushups in your warmup?

thecolin

I've done my fair share of knuckle push ups in my time and I don't notice a big difference in ROM between knuckle and traditional push ups. Just rotate your shoulders at the bottom to get your chest fully on the floor.

 

Regardless, I'd recommend sticking with traditional push-ups as it transitions smoothly into pseudo planche push-ups.

Murray Truelove

FIC - Regular push-ups don't cause me any pain. I thought knuckle push-ups were good for strengthening the wrist?

 

Charm - I'm still on inclined push-ups but expecting to graduate the PE2 at the end of this cycle. Years ago when I did karate we were expected to do them this way and I suppose I just favour them.

 

TC - I find an extra couple of inches make all the difference  ;)

Jon Douglas
mtruelove said:

FIC - Regular push-ups don't cause me any pain. I thought knuckle push-ups were good for strengthening the wrist?

 

Charm - I'm still on inclined push-ups but expecting to graduate the PE2 at the end of this cycle. Years ago when I did karate we were expected to do them this way and I suppose I just favour them.

 

TC - I find an extra couple of inches make all the difference  ;)

Are you doing H1 wrist work? You aren't doing that and still thinking your wrists are lacking direct attention, are you?

 

And of course once you've mastered them you can do what you want to maintain em, but before you get too set on making them harder for yourself make sure you can hit the initial variant numbers ;)

thecolin

Like Charm said, the HS1 exercises are what you need. Wrist push ups only strengthen in one direction, and we need conditioning at all possible wrist angles.

 

There's a post with some good pictures comparing push-up ROM : https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/11066-hbppe2-mastery-form-check/ If you're rolling your shoulders forward with your chest fully to the floor at the bottom and depressing and protracting the scapula at the top, that should be all the ROM you need.

Murray Truelove

I'm doing H1. I'll stick with normal push ups then, as has been said it'll transition into the PPP more naturally and 5 x 15 is already a lot. Thanks guys.

Cyan

I just got off a 3 month cycle of "perfect pushups" where I was doing the plan (90 to 120 pushups every other day) using the little device thingy before I got started on F1. I just decided that I'd do my puhsups on rings instead, starting from week 1, it's my body after all. And I'd like to use the rings more. HBP/PE2

FredInChina
Cyan said:

(...) it's my body after all (...)

 

There you go... :D:)

Jon Douglas
Cyan said:

I just got off a 3 month cycle of "perfect pushups" where I was doing the plan (90 to 120 pushups every other day) using the little device thingy before I got started on F1. I just decided that I'd do my puhsups on rings instead, starting from week 1, it's my body after all. And I'd like to use the rings more. HBP/PE2

How are your pseudo planche pushups?

Cole Dano

Adding ring work too early was found to cause problems for many athletes, and for that reason ring push ups are not part of the foundation series.

 

However, ring work will be addressed, be patient. 

 

And guys - keep it civil!

gohei_
Cole Dano said:

Adding ring work too early was found to cause problems for many athletes, and for that reason ring push ups are not part of the foundation series.

 

However, ring work will be addressed, be patient. 

 

And guys - keep it civil!

That's interesting, I was wondering why ring push-ups did not seem to appear.

SuperBru

Until a solid foundation of basic strength has been acquired the rings are out of the question.  

gohei_
SuperBru said:

Until a solid foundation of basic strength has been acquired the rings are out of the question.  

Yes I know, but I guessed that we would see them earlier than some of the more advanced stuff that's in F2.

SuperBru

Good point.

Coach Sommer

Gentlemen,

There is a reason behind the order in which the courses are being released.

For adult GST students ring work is most appropriate, as well as most effective, AFTER after a solid foundation has been established.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer

And just as a teaser, the GB Rings Courses are awesome.   :icon_cool:

 

However it is my personal opinion, that for adult GST students, ring strength training is most effective AFTER rope climbs have been mastered.  So it is very much worth your time making sure that you have thoroughly mastered your Foundation strength and mobility elements.

 

But you guys are sure off to a slow start.  Currently there are only 4 certified GB L.5 athletes!

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Murray Truelove

I have enough trouble with the rings when I'm sat on the floor. Can't imagine ever doing anything on them that actually looks like a gymnast.

gohei_
Coach Sommer said:

And just as a teaser, the GB Rings Courses are awesome.   :icon_cool:

 

However it is my personal opinion, that for adult GST students, ring strength training is most effective AFTER rope climbs have been mastered.  So it is very much worth your time making sure that you have thoroughly mastered your Foundation strength and mobility elements.

 

But you guys are sure off to a slow start.  Currently there are only 4 certified GB L.5 athletes!

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

This is interesting. Dare I ask where the WODs fit in to the grand scheme of things? Are the ring courses something to be mastered before moving on the WODs?