What does hips 'tucked in' mean? E.g. in Jefferson Curls and the Forearm Plank.
Thank you.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by LateStarter@46, July 4, 2013 · 14 Replies · 422 Views
What does hips 'tucked in' mean? E.g. in Jefferson Curls and the Forearm Plank.
Thank you.
Think posterior pelvic tilt or 'tuck the tail' as Kit puts it.
Thanks Richard. It feels a strange thing to do in Jefferson tails - tucking in kind of stops you curving forwards ![]()
I think the trick is to keep the hips tucked for as long as possible. I guess the ability to keep the hips tucked will improve in time as mobility improves?
I hope so! I have just lost a huge range of movement doing it this (tail tucked) way, but am getting a much better stretch. Thanks for the advice. ![]()
Erm.....I am no expert, but from previous posts by members that are, I have been led to believe that an ANTERIOR pelvic tilt should be used for Jefferson Curls
See here:
https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/10393-question-about-jefferson-curls/#entry100897
Again with Jefferson curls, I don't focus on holding a tilt one way or the other; just focus on the 'rolling' movement of the spine and maximising the ROM with my current flexibility. It seems to sort itself out for me by focusing on cue rather than minutiae.
In planks, pushups etc, definitely some PPT. I look at it as keeping a 'handstand-style' hollow-- closer to straight body but still with the activation of a hollow hold.
(I know, I know. Still working that one out in my head too)
Michael Taylor said:Erm.....I am no expert, but from previous posts by members that are, I have been led to believe that an ANTERIOR pelvic tilt should be used for Jefferson Curls
See here:
https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/10393-question-about-jefferson-curls/#entry100897
Agh!
Charm said:Again with Jefferson curls, I don't focus on holding a tilt one way or the other; just focus on the 'rolling' movement of the spine and maximising the ROM with my current flexibility. It seems to sort itself out for me by focusing on cue rather than minutiae.
In planks, pushups etc, definitely some PPT. I look at it as keeping a 'handstand-style' hollow-- closer to straight body but still with the activation of a hollow hold.
(I know, I know. Still working that one out in my head too)
Thanks Charm
I understand what you're saying about the minutiae - having seen the 'do I protract/retract scapulae' threads. It's a good idea to check anyway just in case it changes the exercise experience completely. That happened to me at the London seminar whilst doing Windmills - Coach made a minor adjustment to my technique at the shoulder and boy were my previously quiet hamstrings complaining! ![]()
LateStarter@46 said:Agh!
Thanks Charm
![]()
I understand what you're saying about the minutiae - having seen the 'do I protract/retract scapulae' threads. It's a good idea to check anyway just in case it changes the exercise experience completely. That happened to me at the London seminar whilst doing Windmills - Coach made a minor adjustment to my technique at the shoulder and boy were my previously quiet hamstrings complaining!
Nothing beats corrections from a teacher who knows their stuff backwards, of course
all I can speak from is my own experience and hope it helps make that one important connection for you~
I think you summed it up nicely Charm. The cues in the course were kept brief for a reason ![]()
Keep practising and watching the demo and you'll get it Kate. Oh... and I had the same experience with the Windmills at the seminar! ![]()
Guys what's this cue for windmills? I'm finding them rather easy at the moment...
wrt to Jefferson Curls, the focus points are:
1. Curl down one vertebra at a time.
2. Keep the hips tucked under as long as possible.
Point 2 is in aid of Point 1. Keeping PPT during the top part of the movement is to help you prevent yourself from cheating in the descent by just bending over at the hips and skipping over a few vertebrae. Once you've slowly curled your back all the way down, as you continue to descend you lose the PPT. Then if you keep going further down, and it starts becoming a pike stretch, you can transition to an anterior tilt. Then you reverse on the way back up.
Bipocni said:Guys what's this cue for windmills? I'm finding them rather easy at the moment...
For me, it was - near the end of the downward movement, really screw your vertical arm into your shoulder joint and take the shoulder itself downwards as well. If you have tight hamstrings you will feel them!
A bit like screw-driving a screw into wood beyond flush.
Hope that helps ![]()
Michael Taylor said:Erm.....I am no expert, but from previous posts by members that are, I have been led to believe that an ANTERIOR pelvic tilt should be used for Jefferson Curls
This is incorrect. There should be NO anterior pelvic tilt at all during Jefferson curls.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
hmmm...no wonder at one point, my back stopped screaming bloody murder. good thing I included these in my warm up, more than plenty time to get acquainted with doing them properly before im doing them with the volume that PE2 brings.